Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

6 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Ball State beat Toledo at home and Kent with a relatively narrow 8-Pt win over 300+ ranked WMU.  If UB plays defense like they did tonight (minus a couple of lapses) the Bulls should be able to compete with anyone in the MAC. 

It is going to be a battle with the top six teams all year.

A continued headscratcher is EMU, losing at home by 16 to BGSU. 

3 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Even worse, they lost by 26 (91-65).  I can’t imagine how frustrated EMU fans must feel 

Oops I need some sleep that is what I am blaming the arithmetic error on.

They shot poorly and didn't play much defense.  I wonder how things are on their fan forum.  

'I see very few hi-fives or attaboys from teammates on the court. Our most talented player sits at the end of the bench during timeouts leaning away from the coach, showing an incredible lack of engagement in the TEAM. The pre-season rankings may have been too optimistic, this team is REALLY bad.'

That is a sample.

• Haha 2

We're absolutely in the mix to be top four. Our pace and ability to score in bunches will overwhelm some teams, especially if the defense continues the improvement that we saw against Ohio tonight. Now, there may be a couple awful 15 point road losses sprinkled in, but I don't think our group should be scared of anyone in the MAC.

24 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Oops I need some sleep that is what I am blaming the arithmetic error on.

They shot poorly and didn't play much defense.  I wonder how things are on their fan forum.  

'I see very few hi-fives or attaboys from teammates on the court. Our most talented player sits at the end of the bench during timeouts leaning away from the coach, showing an incredible lack of engagement in the TEAM. The pre-season rankings may have been too optimistic, this team is REALLY bad.'

That is a sample.

The guy is talented, but not a team guy. That’s why he was available in the first place. They may win a few games with him, but he may also mentally check out and leave them all hanging.

22 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Kent with a relatively narrow 8-Pt win over 300+ ranked WMU.  

Looking at the play-by-play recap, Kent led 72-55 with 6:00 to go, then WMU went on a 15-0 run over the next 4:00 to cut the lead to 2.  So even the best teams fall victim to those dreaded scoring droughts.  
Though it would’ve been nice to make a few more FTs and layups and beat Ohio by double digits, knowing how to battle through and win tight games like that can only help come March. 

Good matchup tonight with Akron @ Ball State on CBSSN. Seems like Ball is poised to give the top 3 teams a run for their money with 4 players averaging 13+ ppg and a win @ Toledo already under their belt.  Interesting that one of their top scorers from last season, the pesky 3-pt shooter Bumbalough now in his 4th season, is averaging 1.4 ppg this year in roughly 15 min per game. They should give Akron a good game. And now that I’ve mentioned him, Bumbalough will probably go off and nail a few 3’s. 😂

Edited by Bluebird96
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Good matchup tonight with Akron @ Ball State on CBSSN. Seems like Ball is poised to give the top 3 teams a run for their money with 4 players averaging 13+ ppg and a win @ Toledo already under their belt.  Interesting that one of their top scorers from last season, the pesky 3-pt shooter Bumbalough now in his 4th season, is averaging 1.4 ppg this year in roughly 15 min per game. They should give Akron a good game. And now that I’ve mentioned him, Bumbalough will probably go off and nail a few 3’s. 😂

This should be a good kickoff to this year's MACtion.  ESPN has Ball St as 2.5 pt favorite.

13 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

And in the early game, ESPN has Toledo as 16 pt favorites over WMU. Seems a little high seeing how WMU gave Kent a hard time down the stretch on Tuesday. 

...and WMU lost to Wisconsin by 10 in game prior.  Toledo would be wise not to take WMU too lightly.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

There was no Castaneda for Akron

Yes...Akron played some tough D.  This game was one possession game until the very end. 

Two of better MAC big men, Sparks and Freeman.  It will be interesting to see how well Jack does against them.  Hopefully he holds his own.

55 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Ohio just lost to bowling green and have started Mac play 0-2 

And BG picked to finish in the bottom 1/3 of the MAC, is 2-0.

Also Kent squeaked out a 3-Pt win over MOH another bottom 1/3 team, and EMU picked up their first conference win.  Going to be a fun season in the MAC

22 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

And BG picked to finish in the bottom 1/3 of the MAC, is 2-0.

Also Kent squeaked out a 3-Pt win over MOH another bottom 1/3 team, and EMU picked up their first conference win.  Going to be a fun season in the MAC

All those teams should fire their coaches, even the ones that won, because they didn't win by enough.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

664441396_Screenshot_20230110-1221152.thumb.png.d22db8d578168201d991a26ded985311.png

Some interesting games in the MAC tonight including Toledo @ Kent amand Ball St @Ohio.  Ohio is badly in need of a win.

My takeaway on this is that the largest spread is -4. That seems to indicate a pretty balanced conference. I think UB can make some noise. Ball St. looks tough, so not sure if Ohio will get this one.

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

My takeaway on this is that the largest spread is -4. That seems to indicate a pretty balanced conference. I think UB can make some noise. Ball St. looks tough, so not sure if Ohio will get this one.

Ball St. did look tough against Akron, but home game for Ohio.  I think Ohio finds a way to get the w at home.  It does not get any easier for then as Kent visits them on Friday.  Then they head to Toledo.  The scheduling gods were not kind to Ohio.

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Ball St. did look tough against Akron, but home game for Ohio.  I think Ohio finds a way to get the w at home.  It does not get any easier for then as Kent visits them on Friday.  Then they head to Toledo.  The scheduling gods were not kind to Ohio.

I think they thought they were giving them a softball with a rebuilding UB team on the road to start. Oops.

• Haha 1

Kent the only undefeated team left in MAC play after just 3 games. And the other 11 teams are all within a game of each other. As Miami showed us tonight, road games are tough to win and a team’s KenPom or other ranking isn’t always a good indicator of how competitive they will be especially on their home court.