Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

1 hour ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

On paper, the Bobcats have a really talented roster. The question is how quickly their transfers and newcomers can gel together.

I’d expect them to be in the mix in March.

Per usual. They appear to be a well coached team.

The preseason coaches poll was just released with UB picked to finish 6th of 12. None of our guys made 1st or 2nd team, no shock there with little proven returning talent. Getting excited for the season.

2022-23 MAC Men's Basketball Preseason Poll
(First Place Votes)

1. Kent State (6) – 135 points
2. Toledo (4) – 131
3. Akron (2) – 127
4. Ball State -- 94
5. Ohio -- 91
6. Buffalo -- 82
7. Eastern Michigan -- 68
8. Western Michigan -- 66
9. Bowling Green -- 42
10. Central Michigan -- 38
11. Miami -- 36
12. Northern Illinois – 26

MAC Tournament Champions: Kent State (4), Toledo (3), Akron (2), Eastern Michigan (1), Western Michigan (1)

2022-23 MAC Men's Basketball Preseason All-MAC Teams
First Team
Enrique Freeman, F, Akron, Jr.
Payton Sparks, C, Ball State, So.
Sincere Carry, G, Kent State, R-Sr.
JT Shumate, F, Toledo, Sr.
Lamar Norman Jr., G, Western Michigan, Sr.

Second Team
Xavier Castaneda, G, Akron, Sr.
Kevin Miller, G, Central Michigan, So.
Emoni Bates, F, Eastern Michigan, So.
Malique Jacobs, G, Kent State, R-Sr.
Setric Millner Jr., F, Toledo, Sr.

11 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

The preseason coaches poll was just released with UB picked to finish 6th of 12. None of our guys made 1st or 2nd team, no shock there with little proven returning talent. Getting excited for the season.

2022-23 MAC Men's Basketball Preseason Poll
(First Place Votes)

1. Kent State (6) – 135 points
2. Toledo (4) – 131
3. Akron (2) – 127
4. Ball State -- 94
5. Ohio -- 91
6. Buffalo -- 82
7. Eastern Michigan -- 68
8. Western Michigan -- 66
9. Bowling Green -- 42
10. Central Michigan -- 38
11. Miami -- 36
12. Northern Illinois – 26

MAC Tournament Champions: Kent State (4), Toledo (3), Akron (2), Eastern Michigan (1), Western Michigan (1)

2022-23 MAC Men's Basketball Preseason All-MAC Teams
First Team
Enrique Freeman, F, Akron, Jr.
Payton Sparks, C, Ball State, So.
Sincere Carry, G, Kent State, R-Sr.
JT Shumate, F, Toledo, Sr.
Lamar Norman Jr., G, Western Michigan, Sr.

Second Team
Xavier Castaneda, G, Akron, Sr.
Kevin Miller, G, Central Michigan, So.
Emoni Bates, F, Eastern Michigan, So.
Malique Jacobs, G, Kent State, R-Sr.
Setric Millner Jr., F, Toledo, Sr.

This is in line with our poll thus far.  Let's hope we take some teams by surprise!  Go Bulls!

Did a quick compare of the preseason coaches poll and final Kenpom rankings.  This represents only two years - so not a large enough sample to do much with, but fun (to me) to look at.  What it shows is that the poll has done a good job at identifying the top 6 vs bottom 6, as every team ended up in the half that the coaches poll predicted.  However, when you look at the top 6, the order of finish has not been as good.

image.png.1c3c2ecada99fcb9f325db782e77fcce.png

For example the top team the past two seasons per Kenpom was 3rd and 6th in the respective coaches poll.  This points to the parity in the MAC (IMO).  It is interesting that Kenpom and the coaches poll have two distinct groups in the top 6,  Top 3 (Kent, Toledo and Akron) and next 3 (Ohio, Buffalo and Ball St), with not a lot of separation within the groups but some between the top 3 and next 3.

I believe that anyone in the next 3 could ultimately come out on top - but will need someone to step up.  For example, if someone from UB or Ohio were to make all-MAC 1st or 2nd team, I would expect they would be more competitive with top 3.   Alternatively if one of the top 3 1st / 2nd team players underperforms. 

Bottom line - this is interesting as a fan and hopefully motivation for the Bulls to prove everyone wrong.

On 10/24/2022 at 5:42 PM, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

On paper, the Bobcats have a really talented roster. The question is how quickly their transfers and newcomers can gel together.

I’d expect them to be in the mix in March.

Hopefully so, that way their coach bolts to a major program. I know Ohio is his Alma Mater but he's a talented coach and recruiter.

6 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Its going to be the Bates show all season long.

1818118343_Screenshot_20221030-2228202.thumb.png.64c83b65bfad34871c5f66edd7475bbd.png

This boxscore from exhibition against Grand Valley St certainly backs that up.  He and Farrakhan give EMU quite the 1-2. This team will give everyone fits, but I don't know if there is enough balance to make them a champion.  Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Bates did not play due to coaches decision as EMU beat Wayne State (D2) by 9.  I guess a pretty easy decision to sit him against a D2 opponent.

He seems to have a lot of baggage. Will be interesting to see if he makes it thru the entire season. It's a risk/reward type of signing, but EMU doesn't have much to lose so may as well roll the dice.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Did anyone catch this yesterday…

No, but that's cool! They are probably in the same boat we are trying to get quality games and none of the "big programs" want to chance a loss against a mid-major and they will definitely not go to their arena. Should be a good matchup of conferences.