Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

2 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Ohio leading NIU with 5:30 to play. Win by the Bobcats puts us back into 5th (with tiebreaker over NIU). That 5th spot will be crucial. Potential playing Ball State vs one of the Big 3. 

Ohio finished off NIU so UB is back in the 5 spot. Final 7 games won’t be easy with 3 games left vs the top 3 including 2 on the road, plus games @ Ohio and @ NIU.  Need to go at least 4-3 to have a realistic shot at the 5 seed.  The way the Bulls have played defense lately that seems like a stretch but time will tell.

Ball State took care of BG today for their 5th straight win to move to 9-3 and into 3rd  ahead of Akron by virtue of their win over the Zips earlier in the season. Hard to believe our Bulls were the last to beat the Cardinals, and beat them good on their court no less. Beginning to look like that was a fluke, but at least for now we can say we beat a top 3 MAC team 😂

Meanwhile NIU crushed WMU and jumped back ahead of UB into 5th. 

Edited by Bluebird96

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Only one Friday night MAC game tonight - EMU at Kent.  With only 3 conference wins at this point, EMU may need to win every game from here out to make it to Cleveland.  EMU had played a little better of late, until blowout loss to Akron at home in their last outing.

Just looked at the schedule. They probably don’t have to win out. The bottom of the conference is that bad. They’ve beaten Central already and have BG on the schedule. They need help but don’t necessarily need to win out. Only bc CMU, who is 8th, might only win 1 game the rest of the way. The bottom of the conference stinks.

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Only one Friday night MAC game tonight - EMU at Kent.  With only 3 conference wins at this point, EMU may need to win every game from here out to make it to Cleveland.  EMU had played a little better of late, until blowout loss to Akron at home in their last outing.

Kent favored by 18.5 and won by 14 @ EMU earlier in the season. Would take a monumental effort by the Eagles to pull out a road win, then their final 4 games are home vs WMU and BSU, and away vs BG and NIU. The best I could see them going is 2-3 to get to 5-13, probably not quite good enough to make it to Cleveland. 

Edited by Bluebird96

8 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Just looked at the schedule. They probably don’t have to win out. The bottom of the conference is that bad. They’ve beaten Central already and have BG on the schedule. They need help but don’t necessarily need to win out. Only bc CMU, who is 8th, might only win 1 game the rest of the way. The bottom of the conference stinks.

I agree about CMU, they have a rough schedule but only need to win 1 game to get to 6 wins which might be enough to edge out BG and EMU.  If UB could jump NIU to get the 6 seed, maybe we’ll be lucky enough to face Ball in Cleveland instead of one of the other 3 that we can’t seem to beat lately.

image.thumb.jpeg.ac87bdb6c5cb4a74edb003bc8a771da9.jpeg

14 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Hahaha all moot now, EMU isn’t even competitive. If we aren’t in Cleveland then Whitesell should be fired. The bottom 4 of this conference are absolute trash. And CMU is barely any better. 

EMU is pretty sad. Only Bates with 15 in double figures, and Acuff who had back to back 35+ Pt games last week, was held scoreless by Kent and now has 2 pts over the last 2 games.  Four assists by EMU for the game. As frustrating as UB has been to watch at times, I’ll take our brand of ball any day over what EMU is currently offering its fans.

Edited by Bluebird96

1 hour ago, Bluebird96 said:

EMU is pretty sad. Only Bates with 15 in double figures, and Acuff who had back to back 35+ Pt games last week, was held scoreless by Kent and now has 2 pts over the last 2 games.  Four assists by EMU for the game. As frustrating as UB has been to watch at times, I’ll take our brand of ball any day over what EMU is currently offering its fans.

So much hype for that signing and it has just fallen flat. Sometimes having 1 superstar doesnt really do much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluebird96 said:

As frustrating as UB has been to watch at times, I’ll take our brand of ball any day over what EMU is currently offering its fans.

Oh no doubt. That ain’t even a comparison. We should be leaps and bounds ahead of every team except Kent, Akron, Ohio and Toledo. Unfortunately we’ve regressed this season to the back of the middle of the pack. And those mentioned teams, we should always be on par with. At the least

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 2

I was just looking at the standings. I think it’s a lock that we get to Cleveland. Barring losing out. Us getting to Cleveland is mostly thanks to the bottom 4 of the conference being terrible. I can see us finishing 3-1 down the stretch. Question is what seed. Realistically I don’t see us getting higher than a 6. Ohio is 2 games ahead  of us with the head to head. And we need them to beat NIU tomorrow. Top 4 teams also play each other tomorrow. 

Funny thing is, I feel like there’s a greater chance of us pulling a first round upset than us winning the conference tournament.

Edited by DooleyBull06

4 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Very true. Anyone here would sign up for 2-2.

I think it will take 3-1 including a W over  NIU to get the 6 seed at 9-9.

Would help if Ohio takes care of NIU tonight, then NIU has @ CMU and home for UB and EMU. So not exactly a tough schedule for them. 

As for Ohio, I don’t see them finishing any worse than 2-2 to get to 10-8, so even 4-0 by the Bulls wouldn’t be enough to take the tiebreaker for the 5 seed.

Edited by Bluebird96

3 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Toledo blows out Akron to take over 1st and Ball beats Kent by 12 to take over 3rd. Ohio’s win over NIU puts UB back in 6th. Big games coming up @ Toledo and @ NIU.  Looks to be a wild finish in the MAC. 

Beat NIU and Miami and we should be the 6 seed. As mentioned in the other thread, the game at NIU will likely determine the 6/7 seed. I don’t think we will beat Toledo. But hey maybe they are prime for a letdown after tonight’s blowout win. 

2 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

NIU is oddly 4-6 at home this year if I’m reading it right. Although we’re worse on the road, so who knows. 

Oh I’m not saying that game will be a win. That court is a nightmare. Literally, from the way it looks to our nightmare loses there. But that’s a must win game. 

At this point I don’t think the seed matters. Akron is currently the 4 seed. Would we want to be 5? Do we feel like we match up any better with them than the other 3 at the top? While we handily beat Ball on the road, not sure I’d feel any better about matching up with them than Akron, Kent or Toledo. So I don’t see it as must win other than this team needs confidence and to get on a roll to have a chance to advance. 

5 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

At this point I don’t think the seed matters. Akron is currently the 4 seed. Would we want to be 5? Do we feel like we match up any better with them than the other 3 at the top? While we handily beat Ball on the road, not sure I’d feel any better about matching up with them than Akron, Kent or Toledo. So I don’t see it as must win other than this team needs confidence and to get on a roll to have a chance to advance. 

I kinda disagree. Right now if the season ended our path would be Ball St then Kent state. Given we beat ball state and lost somewhat close games to Kent I rather that path then Toledo right off the bat. Idk, you’re right in the sense that confidence regardless who we play is low. But playing Ball to open gives a glimmer of hope. 

5 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I kinda disagree. Right now if the season ended our path would be Ball St then Kent state. Given we beat ball state and lost somewhat close games to Kent I rather that path then Toledo right off the bat. Idk, you’re right in the sense that confidence regardless who we play is low. But playing Ball to open gives a glimmer of hope. 

I agree with your line of thinking, if only because UB has performed better in the games with Kent and especially Ball this season. That’s not to say that they’re both not capable of blowing us out like Akron has already done twice. But I would argue the 1st game with Akron was a bit of an outlier due to the Zips’ extremely hot shooting from 3 (12 for 18) that day.

The 1st game with Toledo was sort of in between since we hung with them all game and wound up losing by 9. We’ll see how this weekend’s game goes as to whether we should have any level of confidence potentially facing the Rockets in Cleveland.

• Like 1