Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Lance Leipold to Kansas

promotherobot

13 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

It is like May already...that's pretty late in the game.  Do we get any money from a buy-out at least?

Based on the chart shown earlier in the thread, it's like $2mil. 

It's just crazy to me, how one can talk highly of UB the night before to donors, "give now, we're gonna be great" and then 12 hours later, Adios. No loyalty in these positions. It's one thing to do it in Dec/Jan and another to do it in May (at least in my eyes)

Thankfully the basketball players all appear to be staying and building themselves into a great team for next year, not pulling an Osborn or Mabry (or others). We'll see if this move impacts any player movement. 

This surely hamstrings UB, as he'll likely take much of his staff. Good thing it's May tomorrow. 

11 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Based on the chart shown earlier in the thread, it's like $2mil. 

It's just crazy to me, how one can talk highly of UB the night before to donors, "give now, we're gonna be great" and then 12 hours later, Adios. No loyalty in these positions. It's one thing to do it in Dec/Jan and another to do it in May (at least in my eyes)

Thankfully the basketball players all appear to be staying and building themselves into a great team for next year, not pulling an Osborn or Mabry (or others). We'll see if this move impacts any player movement. 

This surely hamstrings UB, as he'll likely take much of his staff. Good thing it's May tomorrow. 

I totally agree.  I understand him taking a huge pay increase to leave, but not to leave us like this...

Just now, TML1000 said:

Besides everything else that is odd about this, the biggest thing that gets me is...Kansas??? Everyone has seen this time and again...it is a football black hole.

Oh well...same old, same old being a UB fan.

Evidently this was the best he thought he could get. 

4 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Evidently this was the best he thought he could get. 

For those who will say, "Well, Mangino won there..." he had one outlier season, a few ok season and some bad ones. 

Since he left, they have won 6 conference games in 11 seasons and never more than 3 total games in a season. They have tried re-treads in Weis and Miles, younger up and comers in Gill and Beaty...I guess Lance is neither?

Who knows what will happen but I doubt it will be good.

3 minutes ago, TML1000 said:

For those who will say, "Well, Mangino won there..." he had one outlier season, a few ok season and some bad ones. 

Since he left, they have won 6 conference games in 11 seasons and never more than 3 total games in a season. They have tried re-treads in Weis and Miles, younger up and comers in Gill and Beaty...I guess Lance is neither?

Who knows what will happen but I doubt it will be good.

Personally,  I don't give a flying Fig about Kansas. I hate the timing of this for UB and believe that it will set us back greatly,  especially in the short term.

What a garbage move by both Lance and Kansas to completely screw us over this late in the game. We're pretty much in May and all of a sudden we have no coach. 

I'm happy he and his family got their payday, but I'll have no sympathy if he fails to win games at the worst P5 in the country.

9 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Personally,  I don't give a flying Fig about Kansas. I hate the timing of this for UB and believe that it will set us back greatly,  especially in the short term.

Of course...thats what happens to little 'ole Buffalo. Yet, we will be expected to thank him for all the "good times." He can shove it.

• Like 2

I've been vocal in the past that I was not a fan of Lance as a coach.  Great recruiter, but could just never get the job done in those big conference games even when he had the better team.   So I'm not sad to see him go, other than this time is crap and bad for the program.  It's late in the offseason for a coaching change standpoint.

It's also a blatant money grab by Lance as there is absolutely no reasonable way anyone who pays attention would ever think that moving from Buffalo, a program that finished the season nationally ranked to Kansas, a horrific program that hasn't made a bowl since 2008 is an upwards career trajectory.  No coach, let alone Lance is going to succeed at Kansas long term.  Kansas offered him a good amount more than UB, and he sprung for the $$.  I respect and support when a coach leaves for an opportunity that is an honest to goodness career advancement like Nate to Alabama or Bobby Hurley to ASU.  I have no respect for Lance and this move.  He's a nice guy personally, met him a number of times, and wish him the best on a personal level.  But professionally, I look forward to watching him flame out in 2-3 years and end up in CUSA or something.

• Like 1

Kansas seems to be the graveyard for coaches. They guy is 56 years old and might not get another chance at that level. Everyone coaches come and go, even at the P5 level. Hopefully the recruits and other stay on. I bet the next head coach comes from the staff. Just so late in the off season...

And now for something (new?) and different...

I am in deep admiration of all of those on this board whose ethics and character would have them turn down a likely tripling of income, perquisites and ancillary opportunity, all in the name of what a fan base would desire; or at age 56 (how many on the board are 56 or older?....I digress) turn down what,  as has been noted, could be the proverbial "last kick at the can...".  Some would say, Carpe Diem.

It seems to me that there is ample evidence that NCAA football (sports in general) is a business, rather than a hobby or passing interest.  Business can be cold sometimes.  I presume Lance made a business decision with/for his family and his own sense of opportunity.

Personally, I wish Lance and his family nothing but the best.  I hope he is a great success at Kansas.  Will he be successful?  Well I guess that depends who measures; what criteria they define; and how long he is given.  But in the meanwhile, the business of football (sports in general) will go on, and continue to make a great deal of money, and engage fans emotionally both up and down.

The timing sucks.  This too we will survive.  

Ah, the life of a mid-major fan..."Next Coach In"!

Lance built up a good, stable program, and I don’t blame him for taking the payday. For a guy who couldn’t win a MAC championship it’s a nice promotion. That being said he left the program in much better shape than he found it, and I guess that’s all you can ask. I’m not happy he’s leaving but I’m not devastated either. 

• Like 2

Biggest thing to me, Kansas in May? Like I get it, its impossible to turn down the money but its May. Like I would understand if this move happened in January

Like UB should be very good again this season, power 5 Kansas type offers will be there this coming winter, maybe even better schools

35 minutes ago, verandaman said:

And now for something (new?) and different...

I am in deep admiration of all of those on this board whose ethics and character would have them turn down a likely tripling of income, perquisites and ancillary opportunity, all in the name of what a fan base would desire; or at age 56 (how many on the board are 56 or older?....I digress) turn down what,  as has been noted, could be the proverbial "last kick at the can...".  Some would say, Carpe Diem.

It seems to me that there is ample evidence that NCAA football (sports in general) is a business, rather than a hobby or passing interest.  Business can be cold sometimes.  I presume Lance made a business decision with/for his family and his own sense of opportunity.

Personally, I wish Lance and his family nothing but the best.  I hope he is a great success at Kansas.  Will he be successful?  Well I guess that depends who measures; what criteria they define; and how long he is given.  But in the meanwhile, the business of football (sports in general) will go on, and continue to make a great deal of money, and engage fans emotionally both up and down.

The timing sucks.  This too we will survive.  

Ah, the life of a mid-major fan..."Next Coach In"!

I dont think anyone here has said they would turn down the job in the name of what the fan base wants. I think the general consensus was that this year we were going to be really good and likely be back in the MAC Championship where Lance would then be the top candidate for every school looking for a job and he would be able to take a job that is paying as much or more than Kansas and actually have a shot to be successful.

Everyone here knew/knows Lance was going to leave at some point in the near future.

• Like 1

Let’s look at the big picture once again, unless UB gets serious about athletics and makes the move to a bigger conference we will always be a stepping stone for coaches in football and basketball. I’m sick of this inevitable cycle every 4-5 years. Does the leadership of the school realize this turnover is not normal and discourages the fan base? Or do they not care and see athletics as a nice side benefit to offer and any success is just a bonus for them?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RoughToughBulls15 said:

I dont think anyone here has said they would turn down the job in the name of what the fan base wants. I think the general consensus was that this year we were going to be really good and likely be back in the MAC Championship where Lance would then be the top candidate for every school looking for a job and he would be able to take a job that is paying as much or more than Kansas and actually have a shot to be successful.

Everyone here knew/knows Lance was going to leave at some point in the near future.

Yep. If he left last January,  I'd be happy for him. If he left this January,  same deal. Leaving now seems like a self-centered, weak and backhanded move. Congrats,  you got your money. I for one,  don't see him doing similar to nate's rise. If he does, I'll eat crow, but I'd wager against it (and I'm not much of a bettor).