Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Lance Leipold to Kansas

promotherobot

14 minutes ago, Bill said:

Eddie Wilson, Tyrece woods, and Mike novitsky have entered the portal so far 

Just because they enter doesn't mean they'll leave. But I'm not holding my breath either on this front. It depends on who is brought in and how well they can sell themselves and their vision to the current squad. I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a mess, but as of now, it seems like a toss up.

4 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Just because they enter doesn't mean they'll leave. But I'm not holding my breath either on this front. It depends on who is brought in and how well they can sell themselves and their vision to the current squad. I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a mess, but as of now, it seems like a toss up.

It's May 4th. Pretty much the entire staff just left. 3 players (including 2 All-MAC selections) just entered the portal. An anonymous player was quoted saying "things are about to get real interesting". It kinda feels like a mess...

11 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

It's May 4th. Pretty much the entire staff just left. 3 players (including 2 All-MAC selections) just entered the portal. An anonymous player was quoted saying "things are about to get real interesting". It kinda feels like a mess...

I don't disagree. But hey "Bulls4Life" and "we bleed UB blue" right? Until something "better" comes along, that is. 

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

It does feel like a mess, and our AD is paid very well to clean it up. IMO the success of his tenure is make or break with what happens next 

• Like 2

It's not even worth being a fan of a non-power 5 athletic program any longer. Coaches leave, players can come and go with the wind...it is impossible to get excited about what might be a good season upcoming when everything may change at any time at a moments notice. I just don't care any longer.

I think I will go look for an SEC team.

18 minutes ago, TML1000 said:

It's not even worth being a fan of a non-power 5 athletic program any longer. Coaches leave, players can come and go with the wind...it is impossible to get excited about what might be a good season upcoming when everything may change at any time at a moments notice. I just don't care any longer.

I think I will go look for an SEC team.

You'll have to look at the top of the top. Even for me, as a mild, secondary fan of WVU sports, the 'eers lost Beilein AND Rich Rod to Michigan within a calendar year. The majority of P5's are no saving grace for fans, either.

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

You'll have to look at the top of the top. Even for me, as a mild, secondary fan of WVU sports, the 'eers lost Beilein AND Rich Rod to Michigan within a calendar year. The majority of P5's are no saving grace for fans, either.

I'm fine with top of the top lol...as long as it can actually be enjoyable rooting for a team without constant worry of coach poaching and widespread player turnover.

LL must be thankful for the shortened 6 game season, so they can go undefeated in the regular season against extremely bad teams and avoid teams that would've beaten them. Even at 10-3, they wouldn't have been ranked in the top 25. Thanks for all the MAC Championship wins LL. But hey, UB won the bahamas bowl and got a nice vacation for the coaches and UB staff's families. 

22 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

LL must be thankful for the shortened 6 game season, so they can go undefeated in the regular season against extremely bad teams and avoid teams that would've beaten them. Even at 10-3, they wouldn't have been ranked in the top 25. Thanks for all the MAC Championship wins LL. But hey, UB won the bahamas bowl and got a nice vacation for the coaches and UB staff's families. 

Im angry too... But he took us farther than we have been before. No championship but we were a consistently solid bowl team. It just sucks its all unraveling

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HomeyG said:

Im angry too... But he took us farther than we have been before. No championship but we were a consistently solid bowl team. It just sucks its all unraveling

Gill won with far less resources.  This UB Football program spends like the government.  They've got a football only fieldhouse,  fancy locker room with barbers and games and more, recovery rooms, weight rooms, nutrition rooms, video rooms. They Should be winning against teams like akron and bg. If they didn't,  they should be instantly fired. $$ is all that matters to coaches and athletic directors.  They'll all instantly leave their "beloved" schools for a raise at a moment's notice. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Gill won with far less resources.  This UB Football program spends like the government.  They've got a football only fieldhouse,  fancy locker room with barbers and games and more, recovery rooms, weight rooms, nutrition rooms, video rooms. They Should be winning against teams like akron and bg. If they didn't,  they should be instantly fired. $$ is all that matters to coaches and athletic directors.  They'll all instantly leave their "beloved" schools for a raise at a moment's notice. 

Gill had one good year, that was close to being a horrible season if not for a few miracles.  Hail Mary, 20 point 4th quarter comeback at Bowling Green, OT win against Army.

It is not a football only field house.  It is also used by softball and track and field.

The field house, locker room and the fueling station were paid for in most part by private donations and pledging future pay games revenues.  Last year losing the Kansas State and Ohio State games will hurt short term on repaying the debt on the field house.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Gill had one good year, that was close to being a horrible season if not for a few miracles.  Hail Mary, 20 point 4th quarter comeback at Bowling Green, OT win against Army.

It is not a football only field house.  It is also used by softball and track and field.

The field house, locker room and the fueling station were paid for in most part by private donations and pledging future pay games revenues.  Last year losing the Kansas State and Ohio State games will hurt short term on repaying the debt on the field house.

4OT win at Akron...

• Like 1

Just now, BrooklynBull said:

It's a football field house. Don't kid yourself. Sure, track uses it, but it doesn't have a track in it, unlike pretty much any other school that has an indoor facility. It's incredibly gorgeous,  don't get me wrong, but it's a football facility first and foremost. 

Yep, that Gill season was lucky miracle one after another. In the end, they won MACs, LL didn't...and again, did it without all the niceties that the team has now.

• Like 1

I will remember Lance for creating a team that won consistently in the MAC. I will also remember him for never winning a MAC title, for blowing huge leads in important games, for single-handedly killing Jaret Patterson's chance at the all-time NCAA record, for his inability to promote his players to NFL scouts, for his HORRIBLE start at Buffalo - taking a program that was 1-yr removed from being an 8-4 bowl team with Khalil Mack and Branden Oliver and turning it into a dumpster fire and one of the worst teams in the country by year 2, for his incredibly frustrating coordinators like Andy Kotelnicki who treated offensive plays like a Madden video game when he first got here, and for LOSING TO FREAKING ALBANY. Honestly, he was pretty much dead to me that day. I tried to like him again and I flew to the 2018 MAC Championship where he proceeded to lose me yet again with another epic collapse late in the game.

I'm not sad he's gone, but I'm sad for our current players. These guy already went through spring ball and figured they were in the clear. Now they have no coaches and no clue what they're doing come September. This honestly may set us back a couple years.

Thanks for trying to burn things to the ground on your way out, Lance.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Yet he didn't win and it's not looking like we will sustain that success...

I don’t want to assume the 2nd part, but yeah not being able to win the MAC wasn’t ideal. In game strategy didn’t seem good. Blown leads weren’t good. Big game results weren’t good (though we did win 2 bowl games, which is great). In all I’d be willing to bet leipold would’ve been gone sooner if he was better at some of those things. 

7 hours ago, Jeseph said:

At least it's not impacting public perception

lol at how far Nebraska has fallen, fans knowing their game against UB would've been a legit struggle for them to win.  Whatever helps people sleep at night, I suppose. 

• Like 1