Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Lance Leipold to Kansas

promotherobot

2 hours ago, UBbulls8 said:

Thanks guys for the kind words..12pm we have western Michigan here in Buffalo so make sure you guys are in the stands and bring a friend or family member… coach Lester recruited Dylan (Hard) so I expect there going to be a little added energy..Horns Up GO BULLS 

Wish I could be there, but I’ll be watching. I live in VA now so the Buffalo trek is a little more challenging. I was at ODU, glad they came out with a win, but that was a struggle. Hopefully a learning exercise for the guys. I’m expecting a strong performance this weekend. Go Bulls!!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 12:29 AM, UBbulls8 said:

Thanks guys for the kind words..12pm we have western Michigan here in Buffalo so make sure you guys are in the stands and bring a friend or family member… coach Lester recruited Dylan (Hard) so I expect there going to be a little added energy..Horns Up GO BULLS 

I was there. 8 was great. Not to harp on 5 but he doesn't look like himself.  Tough loss today. That game was there for us but we feel apart twice in the red zone. It's a rebuilding year. 

15 hours ago, promotherobot said:

If that's all that matters.

It wasn't? I mean, his team at UB was better than the one he went to. KU hasn't been good and has gone through one coach after another year-year and decade after decade. Do you really think that he is going to make that team into something good? Do you think that it wasn't all about $$, especially when leaving in May after putting in a nearly full off-season here at UB? He's not Saban. He's not Oats. I must be one extremely naïve person to think that it was all about $$.

30 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

It wasn't? I mean, his team at UB was better than the one he went to. KU hasn't been good and has gone through one coach after another year-year and decade after decade. Do you really think that he is going to make that team into something good? Do you think that it wasn't all about $$, especially when leaving in May after putting in a nearly full off-season here at UB? He's not Saban. He's not Oats. I must be one extremely naïve person to think that it was all about $$.

You're not naïve, just extremely defensive. I am pretty sure his comment was directed at the poor career decision by LL, not your take on the matter.

• Like 1

Just now, ubbulls98 said:

I kinda think that Lance left because he was sick of the treatment or lack of respect from the Buffalo area.  Some of his TV interviews were rather salty or defensive.  I believe he was just waiting for the next ship out of the harbor.

Lance left because he got paid. Same reason why they all leave. Same reason why Turner Gill left. Money. 

When a window opens up to be a head coach at a “power 5” school, you jump on it. 

• Like 3

So I was told by a coach who is now at one of the top FCS programs in the country that you have to understand the dynamics of Coaches taking bad jobs for the money and why they have to take them. Leipold when he first started was making 400K and eventually was up to 600k a year or so when he left. An absolutely great salary for most. 

Now Leipold signed a 6 year 16.5 million dollar contract. 2.75 million per year. If Leipold stayed at Buffalo, it would have taken him 4 1/2 years to make the same salary he’s getting in 1 year at Kansas. Now imagine both scenarios. Leipold turns KU into a 6-6, 7-5 program. Well to Kansas that’s great and he prob gets extended and gets a raise to 3.25-3.75 million setting himself up further for the future. 

Now your saying cmon what’s the chances it happens. Fair enough, Leipold flames out after 3 years and gets fired like most people who go to KU. Well Leipold has shown that he can build a successful programs at small schools and he ends up back into the MAC or one of the group of 5s. No one would blame him at a group of 5 school because no one wins at Kansas. He gets offered 700,000 or 800,000 at one of those types of schools and still is a HC basically where he was 4 years ago but has set himself and his family up for life

2 hours ago, Eagles1105 said:

So I was told by a coach who is now at one of the top FCS programs in the country that you have to understand the dynamics of Coaches taking bad jobs for the money and why they have to take them. Leipold when he first started was making 400K and eventually was up to 600k a year or so when he left. An absolutely great salary for most. 

Now Leipold signed a 6 year 16.5 million dollar contract. 2.75 million per year. If Leipold stayed at Buffalo, it would have taken him 4 1/2 years to make the same salary he’s getting in 1 year at Kansas. Now imagine both scenarios. Leipold turns KU into a 6-6, 7-5 program. Well to Kansas that’s great and he prob gets extended and gets a raise to 3.25-3.75 million setting himself up further for the future. 

Now your saying cmon what’s the chances it happens. Fair enough, Leipold flames out after 3 years and gets fired like most people who go to KU. Well Leipold has shown that he can build a successful programs at small schools and he ends up back into the MAC or one of the group of 5s. No one would blame him at a group of 5 school because no one wins at Kansas. He gets offered 700,000 or 800,000 at one of those types of schools and still is a HC basically where he was 4 years ago but has set himself and his family up for life

I understand this -- I think everyone does.  And what you write makes sense.

But there was another option.  What if LL leads the Bulls (and their running offense) to a 9 - 3 or 8 - 4 season, which includes a bowl bid?  Such a scenario would increase his chances of landing a better, long term gig and, importantly, winning. 

Lance took the money, plain and simple.  But there were other options that could have resulted in him "getting the money" and "winning".  That would have required him to trust in his ability and his team this year.  

2 hours ago, UB92 said:

I understand this -- I think everyone does.  And what you write makes sense.

But there was another option.  What if LL leads the Bulls (and their running offense) to a 9 - 3 or 8 - 4 season, which includes a bowl bid?  Such a scenario would increase his chances of landing a better, long term gig and, importantly, winning. 

Lance took the money, plain and simple.  But there were other options that could have resulted in him "getting the money" and "winning".  That would have required him to trust in his ability and his team this year.  

Oh you mean like Mo Linguist is doing with UB at soon to be 2-4 and 0-2 in the MAC. What if he knew they were in a rebuild mode at UB and a 5-7 or 6-6 season would ruin his prestige. He did the same thing PJ Fleck did. He realized a lot of his top talent was leaving and cashed in before his star got dimmed 

18 hours ago, Eagles1105 said:

Oh you mean like Mo Linguist is doing with UB at soon to be 2-4 and 0-2 in the MAC. What if he knew they were in a rebuild mode at UB and a 5-7 or 6-6 season would ruin his prestige. He did the same thing PJ Fleck did. He realized a lot of his top talent was leaving and cashed in before his star got dimmed 

The team is struggling mostly because of Lance leaving and gutting our roster. Odds are we'd have 4 wins right now if Lance stayed.

On 10/9/2021 at 7:59 PM, Eagles1105 said:

There are several things blatantly wrong with your post.  It must be a joke. 

I hope you are just kidding or not an alumnus.  If you are an alumnus, your post above has devalued my degree.  

On 10/10/2021 at 9:03 PM, UB92 said:

There are several things blatantly wrong with your post.  It must be a joke. 

I hope you are just kidding or not an alumnus.  If you are an alumnus, your post above has devalued my degree.  

I’m not an alumnus and I was actually was closer to the former program than you’ll ever know. He got paid, people are mad cause he left plain and simple. The talent level has dropped because Patterson and Koonce and Awosika, Nunn we’re gone. As you can see there are severe limitations with the QB position. I’m not wrong. The program was going to take a dip this year. They won 2 straight bowl games made 2 MAC titles etc with the former staff. Now picture that same staff passing on a big payday to possibly go 7-5 or 6-6 this year. How many power 5 offers are coming his way next season? The answer is Zero. He set himself and his staff up for life with that job. If they fail at Kansas then they end up at a MAC school in the Midwest like Solich did at Ohio making the same or slightly more than they did at Buffalo. 

I get it as an alumni of the school it’s hard to see the program take a dive this year and it’s easy to blame it on Leipold leaving so late and taking 3 starters with him. Even with those guys the QB is still limited, the RB and Oline downgraded even with Novitsky still there. 

The new head coach needs time but he has already given reason to doubt with in game decisions like constantly trotting out McNulty who clearly can’t get it done. The new staff could easily be 4-2 right now but haven’t helped themselves tbh either

On 10/12/2021 at 11:43 PM, BrooklynBull said:

The blame on the timing goes to LSU.

I assume Lance gets 1 more year, but they aren't even close to competitive. They were down 41-0 at home and score 14 garbage points in the last 52 seconds. I also don't see him getting the recruits he will need to get competitive. His strength is developing raw talent. He won't have time for that at KU. I see him getting cashed out and finish his career at a mid-level team ala Turner Gill. Can't blame him for taking the money. It's a shame that was the opportunity that presented itself and the timing blows. Plus now LSU, who started the whole fiasco is ditching their guy too. I wish I didn't care about college football.

35 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I said the same thing to myself earlier. Not gonna happen though.

Oklahoma seems to play to their competition and then turn it on late. Will likely bite them in the ass at some point. LL got his boys to believe at least for a while. Maybe they will win another game this season but future opponents may have the radar up and not sleepwalk thru the first half like OU.

I am really curious to see how Kansas does in the future.

I can't help but think that the transfers offered a nice boost that they wouldn't have otherwise had.  They kind of were able to combine recruiting classes.  Which makes me wonder if they will be able to sustain the improvement moving forward. 

I am not sure they will be able to recruit to Kansas and if they don't see a big improvement in recruiting their momentum will drop off.  You need the horses.  You can't develop ponies into winners in the Big 12.