Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Lance Leipold to Kansas

promotherobot

2 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I am really curious to see how Kansas does in the future.

I can't help but think that the transfers offered a nice boost that they wouldn't have otherwise had.  They kind of were able to combine recruiting classes.  Which makes me wonder if they will be able to sustain the improvement moving forward. 

I am not sure they will be able to recruit to Kansas and if they don't see a big improvement in recruiting their momentum will drop off.  You need the horses.  You can't develop ponies into winners in the Big 12.

Oklahoma and Texas leaving will tend to level the playing field.  It wouldn't be unheard of to have Kansas be a mid-tier team in their conference in two years.

56 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Oklahoma and Texas leaving will tend to level the playing field.  It wouldn't be unheard of to have Kansas be a mid-tier team in their conference in two years.

I disagree.

If UT and OU were the only issues then Kansas would be competitive with the other teams in the conference.  But they haven't been.  And the teams moving into the conference are going to be in a better position than Kansas.

Kansas was always at the bottom of the conference and a long way down from even the middle of the remaining eight.  They have five conference wins in the last 10 years.  It wasn't OU and UT they made it hard for them to compete.  They beat Texas in that period more times than they beat Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Kansas State combined.

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I disagree.

If UT and OU were the only issues then Kansas would be competitive with the other teams in the conference.  But they haven't been.  And the teams moving into the conference are going to be in a better position than Kansas.

Kansas was always at the bottom of the conference and a long way down from even the middle of the remaining eight.  They have five conference wins in the last 10 years.  It wasn't OU and UT they made it hard for them to compete.  They beat Texas in that period more times than they beat Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Kansas State combined.

I know (and have referenced several times) how crappy Kansas football has been for decades, save for Mangino.

What I am stating is that Kansas moving from historically bad to a mid-tier team in the conference has a higher probability of happening when you remove OU and UT (yes...they are adding in others, but they aren't OU and UT).

OU and UT are the blue bloods of that conference.  Without them, there are no real blue bloods anymore.  

If you legit think that KU beating Texas more than OSU, Baylor and K-State combined in the last ten years is a good argument for your point, you would be wrong.

Edited by UB92

49 minutes ago, UB92 said:

If you legit think that KU beating Texas more than OSU, Baylor and K-State combined in the last ten years is a good argument for your point, you would be wrong.

Why?

49 minutes ago, UB92 said:

I know (and have referenced several times) how crappy Kansas football has been for decades, save for Mangino.

What I am stating is that Kansas moving from historically bad to a mid-tier team in the conference has a higher probability of happening when you remove OU and UT (yes...they are adding in others, but they aren't OU and UT).

OU and UT are the blue bloods of that conference.  Without them, there are no real blue bloods anymore.  

The Blue Bloods are irrelevant here.  And in fact, one of the Blue Bloods hasn't been a Blue Blood on the field.  Which is evidence by Kansas beating them recently.

The question is if Kansas can make it to the middle of the pack in the Big 12.  And they need to see a big pickup in recruiting for that to happen.  Their problem has not been primarily one of bad coaching.  It isn't that they have star players who just didn't have the coaching.  They were mediocre players.  They have had coaches hired who have had some success in college football.  

Kansas got a nice boost in talent due to the poaching of UB players.  I am not sure they will continue to build on that and get more depth in the program.

That's what they need.  

Their ability to beat Oklahoma State, Baylor, Kansas State, and others is what we are talking about.  And that has noting to do with OU and UT.

That's like saying that Portland would be better positioned to compete in the WCC if Gonzaga wasn't there.   Gonzaga dominating the conference has zero impact on Portland being able to beat Pepperdine, Loyola, and San Diego.

Kansas's inability to compete is in large part based on talent. 

In fact, I would argue that the other Big 12 teams are more likely to see a boost now that they will be able to compete for the Big 12 championship and the path to the CFP moving forward.  I think it will get harder for Kansas.  

Edited by dutchcountry7

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Lance got bailed out. Going for it on 4th and 1 from your own side of the field when up 7 at the end of the game ranks right up there with worst calls. 

I loved the call.  4th and inches and a first down nearly clinches it.  Huge underdogs on the road.  Go for the throat.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Lance got bailed out. Going for it on 4th and 1 from your own side of the field when up 7 at the end of the game ranks right up there with worst calls. 

At Kansas you have to take oversized risks.

If Kansas loses to Texas; no one will remember the game.   If Kansas beats Texas?  Well here we are and people will be talking about it for some time.  You can bet it will help with recruiting in Texas.

3 hours ago, UBlearns said:

I loved the call.  4th and inches and a first down nearly clinches it.  Huge underdogs on the road.  Go for the throat.

When I saw (on my phone) it was 42 - 21, I turned on the game.

I liked that LL went for it on 4th down.  He had them up at the line and I could see that the defense was uncertain about whether it would be a run or pass;  there were gaps for the QB to take the snap and sneak or hand it off.  In other words, the run was there.

But LL called timeout.

Then, after the timeout, they came out in a sugar huddle.  The defense bunched the middle as they waited, not really knowing the best way to react.

They broke the sugar huddle quickly, went to the line and ran it into a mass of players.  No first down.

I liked the aggressiveness, but I think that the time to run the play was before the time out.  To do the sugar huddle after the time out and then run it into the bunch was silly. 

23 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Do agree. Could see if you were down by 7 with the year Kansas is having??? It is right up there with many of Lance’s calls when he was here and he had a lot more talented players than he has at Kansas. Go Bulls!!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...