Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Lance Leipold to Kansas

promotherobot

20 minutes ago, clodney said:

Lance has no loyalty. Lance is not afraid of difficult challenges. Lance will take the money if it's offered.

I will laugh at Kansas if that happens and hope that he takes half his players with him.

All of the above,,  plus Lance's wife is from Omaha, NE.  

2 hours ago, clodney said:

Lance has no loyalty. Lance is not afraid of difficult challenges. Lance will take the money if it's offered.

I will laugh at Kansas if that happens and hope that he takes half his players with him.

This is true, but also just the name of the game in college athletics. There are 5-10 jobs that are the most desirable and if you aren't one of those schools, then there is a goo chance your coach will get hired away if they have success.

59 minutes ago, SGBull said:

This is true, but also just the name of the game in college athletics. There are 5-10 jobs that are the most desirable and if you aren't one of those schools, then there is a goo chance your coach will get hired away if they have success.

I am back because unfortunately UB BullRun is closing at the end of September Sports Nation is kicking UB off but keep Seattle Sonics with no NBA team just a joke. 

I find it interesting UB alums your not alone feel in the blank schools alumni base say show loyalty towards fill in the blank failing coach BSF but the coaches show UB no loyalty? As soon as they find success gone. But coaches failure oh give them feel in the blank number of years your too hard on the coaches BSF calling them bums and incompetent. The coaches job he is paid to win period. 

UB Bulls football coach Maurice Linquist make more money than any football coach in the history of UB Football. He has more resources field house, locker rooms that light up and coaches offices than anyone in the history of UB football. He make more money than our New York Governor of this wonderful state in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

22 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

I am back because unfortunately UB BullRun is closing at the end of September Sports Nation is kicking UB off but keep Seattle Sonics with no NBA team just a joke. 

I find it interesting UB alums your not alone feel in the blank schools alumni base say show loyalty towards fill in the blank failing coach BSF but the coaches show UB no loyalty? As soon as they find success gone. But coaches failure oh give them feel in the blank number of years your too hard on the coaches BSF calling them bums and incompetent. The coaches job he is paid to win period. 

UB Bulls football coach Maurice Linquist make more money than any football coach in the history of UB Football. He has more resources field house, locker rooms that light up and coaches offices than anyone in the history of UB football. He make more money than our New York Governor of this wonderful state in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I didn't know that but it isn't surprising.

8 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

Credit to Lance - I was certain he wouldn’t be able to turn around what has been a black hole of a Kansas Football program but he really seems to be doing it. Kansas is now 3-0 with a recent win over Houston.

Consider me impressed! I would be lying if I thought he'd be able to be 3-0 starting off year 2 in Kansas. I'm not sure I thought anyone would be able to do that. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now that Wisconsin fired their coach,  Lance is on the short list for Nebraska and Wisconsin.  It will be interesting to see if Kansas can hang onto him in the midst of a magical season. 

Money notwithstanding, Lance bet on himself when he took the job at perennial loser Kansas and he won, Big. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

Now that Wisconsin fired their coach,  Lance is on the short list for Nebraska and Wisconsin.  It will be interesting to see if Kansas can hang onto him in the midst of a magical season. 

Money notwithstanding, Lance bet on himself when he took the job at perennial loser Kansas and he won, Big. 

Agreed, I thought it was coaching death with a big payday, but to be 5-0 and having beaten some solid teams, he has me believing the guy knows how to lead young men.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, clodney said:

Why'd it take him 4 years to produce a winning record at UB?

Likely, because he had never been a D1 coach and he brought most of his staff with him, without D1 experience either. We got him trained up good and his learning curve at Kansas was much flatter. Plus, he brought a core of "His Guys" into Kansas, which likely helped a good deal. Especially when you bring a quality center to your OL. 

• Like 1

Is it wrong to kind of want him to keep winning and he leaves, takes the whole staff and their best players?

the one point the Kansas fans may be right about, will WI or NE let him take his whole staff again? I could see that being a deal breaker for him. He will be getting a lot more money one way or another.

3 minutes ago, Majortomxiii said:

Is it wrong to kind of want him to keep winning and he leaves, takes the whole staff and their best players?

the one point the Kansas fans may be right about, will WI or NE let him take his whole staff again? I could see that being a deal breaker for him. He will be getting a lot more money one way or another.

I think for him it would have to be a package deal. He seems to have a very strong bond with that staff, which is pretty rare these days. I believe he wants to win or lose with that group.

The reality for him at Kansas is, he could stay and probably be top tier in that weakened conference or go to the established BIG10 and bring back two solid programs to their previous glory. I don't think he's in a bad spot either way.

14 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Kotelnicki is getting a lot of run as big time OC or lower level HC. Borland is close to retirement, so keeping the band together might not be easy either way. 

Remember when Kotelnicki was persona non grata here at UB? 🤣

22 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I think for him it would have to be a package deal. He seems to have a very strong bond with that staff, which is pretty rare these days. I believe he wants to win or lose with that group.

The reality for him at Kansas is, he could stay and probably be top tier in that weakened conference or go to the established BIG10 and bring back two solid programs to their previous glory. I don't think he's in a bad spot either way.

The oddsmakers have Lance as second choice for the Wisconsin job, behind the interim HC.

2 minutes ago, UB92 said:

The oddsmakers have Lance as second choice for the Wisconsin job, behind the interim HC.

I think Jim Leonhard should get a shot and will depend on how the team responds over the remainder of the season. He's been a coach at Wisconsin for the last 6 years, spent 9 years in the NFL, 3x All American at Wisconsin, 3x All Big 10, grew up in Wisconsin. I would say he would be a great option, assuming the team responds and he has what it takes to transition from Staff Coach to Head Coach. 

35 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

There was good reason for that.

Combo of him learning D1 and personnel at that point on our team. We were pretty bland on offense. Give LL and Cast credit, they hung at UB a while, developed a winning culture and got much better recruits, then parlayed it into a payday. I also think that staff created some players that became much more that their recruiting stars would indicate. Mr. Dolac is a prime example of that. 

3 hours ago, Majortomxiii said:

I think there is a good chance LL succeeds wherever he goes, I do not have that faith in AK just yet…

To his credit he turned our offense into a dominant one and to have one of the best offenses in the country at Kansas of all places.  Must be doing something right. 

On 10/4/2022 at 12:16 PM, UBinMD said:

I think Jim Leonhard should get a shot and will depend on how the team responds over the remainder of the season. He's been a coach at Wisconsin for the last 6 years, spent 9 years in the NFL, 3x All American at Wisconsin, 3x All Big 10, grew up in Wisconsin. I would say he would be a great option, assuming the team responds and he has what it takes to transition from Staff Coach to Head Coach. 

Being a former Buffalo Bill, he's got Bills Mafia rooting for him.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2022 at 8:28 PM, DaBulls99 said:

To his credit he turned our offense into a dominant one and to have one of the best offenses in the country at Kansas of all places.  Must be doing something right. 

Good mid majors pluck assistants from current staffs. UB should have hired Kotelnicki or Chris Simpson as Leipold’s replacement instead of trying to reset. Ended up losing tons of good players to the portal.