Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Lance Leipold to Kansas

promotherobot

9 hours ago, promotherobot said:
36 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

6 year at 4.2 per

Our players had a watch party last night to watch their new coach and they find out today that it isn’t him.  Many were told that it would be him.  Only at Illinois.

I did watch today’s game. I thought that 3rd down play calling was poor, but at times the execution was poor too. But honestly I was hoping for more from the offense, especially in the second half. No excuse to only get 7 points tonight. I was “ok” with him not kicking the FG. But I’m just assuming he didn’t have high confidence in his kicker. Plus Lovie Smith never saw a 50+ yard FG that he didn’t like so it was refreshing to see a coach trust his offense to convert in those situations. And the right play was called, but the receiver dropped it. 

Im not worried about a rebuild taking 3 years. We’ve been in a 30 year rebuild...

our fans arent exactly excited about a liepold hire. 

the timing is odd.  Seems a little coincidental that the announcement was held off until this morning (after MAC game).  feels like maybe they had it narrowed down to two men and just wanted to have one last look. Now the Giants LB coach is high tailing it out the day before a game. 

But yeah, crazy money.

• 2 months later...

How many failed coaches can Kansas possibly have before these guys realize it's not worth it? Les Miles went 114-34 at LSU in the toughest conference in college football and then went 3-18 in two seasons at Kansas. Why would Leipold possibly want to leave to take that unwinnable challenge? He can make a ton of money, sure, but he sets his career back at least 5 years and then has to hope another Buffalo-level school comes calling. I think with another year of solid play at Buffalo he'll be seeing offers from schools MUCH more attractive than Kansas where he could actually win a few games and not destroy his upward trajectory. Kansas is the Buffalo Sabres of college football.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clodney said:

How many failed coaches can Kansas possibly have before these guys realize it's not worth it? Les Miles went 114-34 at LSU in the toughest conference in college football and then went 3-18 in two seasons at Kansas. Why would Leipold possibly want to leave to take that unwinnable challenge? He can make a ton of money, sure, but he sets his career back at least 5 years and then has to hope another Buffalo-level school comes calling. I think with another year of solid play at Buffalo he'll be seeing offers from schools MUCH more attractive than Kansas where he could actually win a few games and not destroy his upward trajectory. Kansas is the Buffalo Sabres of college football.

I've asked LL's Admin. to put this note in front of his face each day, until Kansas hires someone.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

I've asked LL's Admin. to put this note in front of his face each day, until Kansas hires someone.

Among other things, it’s March so his team will basically be what it is during COVID so 2021 is a lost season for whomever. So maybe you get 2 more years after that so he burns the next 3 years. Once the experiment fails again he’s on the block as a good D3 and lower level D1 coach, so major conferences will shy away. Then does 3 more years at a Buffalo/Liberty and maybe gets another major conference shot. By then, teams will be hiring the next great 25 year old grad assistant that the next “hot thing”. He’s got a strong UB team coming back. Another 8-10 win season and he will be in demand for better than Illinois or Kansas.

in my humble opinion or course.

Gill to Kansas made sense at the time.  His daughter was a student there, he had a history of success as both a player and a coach in the region at Nebraska, and Kansas was only recently-removed from a historically-good season (albeit in hindsight an anomaly) and had won 3 bowl games in 5 years.

None of it really makes sense for Leipold - the only things Kansas can offer are a higher standard of competition and more money.  Maybe he relishes the challenge, or maybe Kansas breaks the bank for him.  But I think you could reasonably argue that Kansas is the single worst P5 job in the country as of today.  They've won literally 5 conference games in the past decade.  The last time they won more than 1 game in-conference in a single season was 2008.  

Unless he's really just looking to cash-in, Kansas just doesn't make any sense to me.  So long as UB even has a reasonably-good season this coming year and can sniff a bowl game, Leipold will still be as hot a prospect at the end of 2021 as he is right now.  Better opportunities will come calling for him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, clodney said:

The fat man won at Kansas.   Amazingly, he left KU with an overall winning record, including an Orange Bowl victory.

Before and after his tenure, they lost.  His is the outlier.  

• Like 1

The problem with Kansas is that they are required to play 9 games every year in the Big 12.  This means fewer OOC games that can be scheduled to get some wins, confidence, and momentum.  And unlike the Pac12, SEC, ACC, and Big Ten the Big 12 didn't expand and water their conference down.  The Big 12 conference having a full-round robin means that the worst team in the conference (Kansas) has to play every contender for the conference championship every year.  The full round robin with a smaller conference actually means that Kansas has a tougher schedule than the bottom teams in the other P5 conferences.

Kansas needs a lot of work and they can't get momentum with the schedule they face.  They are locked in to a tough spot.

#64 Texas Tech was the worst Big 12 team this year (not counting Kansas since they can't play themselves).

So Kansas could only play three games against teams #65 or worse.  Top-65 teams are pretty solid teams that are capable of knocking off a top-20 team--these are teams that are expecting to get into bowl games.  

Comparison of conferences for (Sagarin Ratings) in order of fewest sub-65 game opportunities for the last place divisional team based on current team performances:

Big 12 - Kansas (3 Maximum) - 3 OOC games. 

SEC East - Vanderbilt (4 maximum) - 4 OOC games

ACC Coastal - Duke (4 minimum) - 3 OOC games plus #96 GA Tech plus potential cross over games

SEC West - Arkansas (4 minimum) - 4 OOC games plus potential cross over games

ACC Atlantic  - Syracuse (5 minimum) - 3 OOC games plus #66 Boston College and #92 Florida State plus potential cross over games

Big Ten East - Rutgers (5 minimum) 3 OOC games plus #85 Maryland and #89 Michigan State  plus potential cross over games

Big Ten West - Illinois (5 minimum) - 3 OOC games plus #67 Nebraska and #76 Purdue  plus potential cross over games

So each of those other conference bottom teams has more opportunities to play sub-65 games which can be used to get some wins under their belt and help with recruiting and fan engagement.  Kansas has the hardest path in that all while playing in a conference with some of the top teams in the country that contend for the playoff. 

11 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

the Big 12 didn't expand and water their conference down

The Big 12, which is what is left of the Big 8 and the old Southwest Conference, has lost teams.  The have lost Texas A&M and Missouri.  Much of that had to do with the creation of the Longhorn Network, which created  a huge revenue stream for Texas and those schools felt they could not compete against Texas with all the extra money they would have.

12 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

Well, if LL wants the Kansas job, he really must want to get the hell out of Buffalo.

I couldn't agree more, although Lawrence is a lovely college town, it is extremely plain and small. My friend was a S&C coach there two years during the Mangino years - campus is beautiful, Fogg Allan Fieldhouse is magical, I couldn't see living there compared to WNY. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

The Big 12, which is what is left of the Big 8 and the old Southwest Conference, has lost teams.  The have lost Texas A&M and Missouri.  Much of that had to do with the creation of the Longhorn Network, which created  a huge revenue stream for Texas and those schools felt they could not compete against Texas with all the extra money they would have.

And they decided not to add teams weaker than the median.

Other conferences added teams for their TV markets that weren't as strong on the field.  The Big 12 didn't do that.  

It is harder to get to .500 for Kansas in the Big 12 than it would be in every other conference.