Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Lance Leipold to Kansas

promotherobot

I can't seriously believe the LL is interested in Kansas.  From what I've found, he makes $624K.  Miles was making $3.45M.  Obviously much, much higher, but the previous coach (Beaty) was making $1.6M.  They had to pay Miles more, with his accomplishments at LSU.  But in 2021, any coach Kansas hires will need to make at least $2M...likely more.

But winning at Kansas?  That is not a stepping stone, LL.  It is a place where a coaches career goes to die.  

Prior to Mangino (who was only 2 games over .500), the last coach to leave KU with a winning record was Jules Sikes (whose last year at KU was 1953).

UB is going to be a pretty good to very good MAC team next year.  They schedule seems favorable.  It could be another solid year and, if LL wants to leave at that point, he will be in an even better position.

I 1000% understand that UB (and the MAC) is a stepping-stone.  Almost every job is a stepping stone to somewhere else.  But being successful at UB over these several years (and one more) should mean more than Kansas, where you are not going to be competitive.   

I would think that KU would/could be attractive to some FCS head coach who wants to take the next step or some young college coordinator who thinks they are just the right person to turn around Kansas.  If the young college coordinator fails...they can go back to being a coordinator and resurface.   LL should not have to settle for Kansas as the next step.  The story ends bad...we don't need to see the remake.

I hope Lance stays for another year or two. However, he is likely to leave rather than retire from UB.  So it is also likely a case of "when", not "if".  Wherever he might go, there will be no guarantee of success.

Now if he can get triple or more the money that he is currently making, and goes for three years at that level, it is the same as nine years at UB.  If he waits an additional year or two:

1) he is older which is not a plus (this from a guy older than Lance, so don't rip me for age discrimination);

2) he will have made $1.5 to $3.0 million or so less, plus opportunity cost;

3) he may stumbe at UB (I suspect not, but UB is not guaranteed future success any more than any other team) and lose more future attractiveness

If he goes to Kansas, for example

1) he immediately gets more $$$

2) he doesn't need to win a lot in 2021 or 2022 to sustain his value (although that would help)

3) if he turns Kansas around, he will get any job within reason that he might want; and/or materially more prestige, recognition and (yes) cash in future years.

I opened by saying I hope he stays.  That's because I want UB to continue to be successful and I think he can lead that; although as noted, that's not guaranteed.

But if he was offered and chose to go, I hope it is because the move would fit and feel right for him and his family; and that he wants one more challenge at doing what a lot of people want to say can't be done.  I remember the skepticism when Danny hired a D III coach; that worked out okay for Lance and family it appears.

I have a sense that he'll not be rash in jumping to any job; rather he appears to be a guy who will be thoughtful and deliberate.  In the meanwhile, Go Bulls!

1 hour ago, verandaman said:

I hope Lance stays for another year or two. However, he is likely to leave rather than retire from UB.  So it is also likely a case of "when", not "if".  Wherever he might go, there will be no guarantee of success.

Now if he can get triple or more the money that he is currently making, and goes for three years at that level, it is the same as nine years at UB.  If he waits an additional year or two:

1) he is older which is not a plus (this from a guy older than Lance, so don't rip me for age discrimination);

2) he will have made $1.5 to $3.0 million or so less, plus opportunity cost;

3) he may stumbe at UB (I suspect not, but UB is not guaranteed future success any more than any other team) and lose more future attractiveness

If he goes to Kansas, for example

1) he immediately gets more $$$

2) he doesn't need to win a lot in 2021 or 2022 to sustain his value (although that would help)

3) if he turns Kansas around, he will get any job within reason that he might want; and/or materially more prestige, recognition and (yes) cash in future years.

I opened by saying I hope he stays.  That's because I want UB to continue to be successful and I think he can lead that; although as noted, that's not guaranteed.

But if he was offered and chose to go, I hope it is because the move would fit and feel right for him and his family; and that he wants one more challenge at doing what a lot of people want to say can't be done.  I remember the skepticism when Danny hired a D III coach; that worked out okay for Lance and family it appears.

I have a sense that he'll not be rash in jumping to any job; rather he appears to be a guy who will be thoughtful and deliberate.  In the meanwhile, Go Bulls!

I don’t recall a lot of skepticism with LL being hired, actually.  There was some, but I think there was excitement about whether this guy that was like 106 - 7 at UWW could win in FBS. 

1 hour ago, verandaman said:

... cash ...

I'd be willing to bet the jump from his salary while at WW to today feels greater than it would between today's salary and if he goes to Kansas. 

(these may not be accurate, but the point is... 100-->600 = 6X.  600-->2100 = 3.5X)

Some people might feel like they are doing much better than a few years ago, and not be in a rush for even more just yet.

14 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

I'd be willing to bet the jump from his salary while at WW to today feels greater than it would between today's salary and if he goes to Kansas. 

(these may not be accurate, but the point is... 100-->600 = 6X.  600-->2100 = 3.5X)

Some people might feel like they are doing much better than a few years ago, and not be in a rush for even more just yet.

Yes but, $1.5Million increase sounds better than $600k increase.  For that, I think I could settle for 3.5X.   Oh, and don't forget that it would take him out of one of the highest taxed states in the country.  TG was amazed at the difference in the taxation rate when he moved to Kansas.

Edited by ChubbyHubby

1 hour ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Yes but, ...

You both make great points, and most people (myself included) would probably take it (*the money, not necessarily that job).  I think most people hear Million and think Life Changing.  I wonder if the life changing event has already happened, that's all.

Edited by 121Merrimac
added clarification

14 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

You both make great points, and most people (myself included) would probably take it.  I think most people hear Million and think Life Changing.  I wonder if the life changing event has already happened, that's all.

I would take it as well.  He has no ties at Buffalo (didnt go to school here, isnt from here).  Most if not all of us would jump at the chance to make 3.5 times your current salary to go from one area with no ties to another.  I obviously hope he stays though.

• Like 3

EDIT: Expanding on my original message. 

You only take a Kansas job if you don't think you're good enough to get to a real P5 job in the near future. It's not a stepping stone, it's a career ender. Turner Gill was only given 2 years before they fired him. I'd imagine if Lance went 2-10 in his second year with a loss to FCS Albany like he did at UB, he'd likely lose his job at Kansas. It's not saying he couldn't eventually right the ship and win a couple of games, I just doubt they'd give him a long enough fuse.

If it's ONLY about money, take the money. Otherwise, wait a see what else opens up because there are always jobs available and pretty much all of them are better than Kansas. 

Edited by clodney
  • Confused 1

On 3/12/2021 at 12:46 PM, clodney said:

EDIT: Expanding on my original message. 

You only take a Kansas job if you don't think you're good enough to get to a real P5 job in the near future. It's not a stepping stone, it's a career ender. Turner Gill was only given 2 years before they fired him. I'd imagine if Lance went 2-10 in his second year with a loss to FCS Albany like he did at UB, he'd likely lose his job at Kansas. It's not saying he couldn't eventually right the ship and win a couple of games, I just doubt they'd give him a long enough fuse.

If it's ONLY about money, take the money. Otherwise, wait a see what else opens up because there are always jobs available and pretty much all of them are better than Kansas. 

This is exactly it.  When I say the Leipold to Kansas doesn't "make sense", it's not that the money doesn't matter or that UB is some sort of destination job that's better than the prestige of coaching Kansas.  It's because he'll get a better job offer from someone else, assuming UB doesn't fall totally flat this year.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

If LL values his career he should run from the Kansas job. He's poised for another good year and he'll have plenty of offers from better programs. I mean we are already into spring ball. 2021 will be a wasted year at KU but fans will see the L's. 

He may look at this as a challenge..

23 minutes ago, HomeyG said:

He may look at this as a challenge..

I certainly hope he doesn’t, for his sake and for ours this year. The L’s will pile up at KU this year regardless of his presence. For us, it turn a good season into a mess since LL will likely take his whole show on the road like he did coming here and we will scramble for a solid HS coach to fill the void

If this coach goes to Kansas, the "LL" will stand for "Lotta Losing".

Lance...go when you can go...we understand that...but not Kansas.  Stay at UB, have another solid year, and then take your next step.  Kansas is not the place for you, your career or your legacy.   It is the teaspoon of sewage in the vat of wine (at least in football).

-- signed, every UB fan (and, really, every reasonable college football fan outside of Lawrence, KS).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Jeseph changed the title to Lance Leipold - P5 Coaching Speculation
56 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

If it is Lance,  hopefully Alnutt has some very good, qualified, replacement candidates on speed dial.  A good AD would have several scenarios worked out already.

It would really suck to lose him this late in the year.