Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Going forward with expected same coaching staff and seniors and Paterson gone

markchicago

22 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Marks announces he is entering his name to the transfer portal.

If he goes, it would hit the RB room even harder than receiver group of Johnson, KJ, Jones, and Mabry. We recovered ok the following year then, hopefully others could step up next year.

We have the guys to step in. Next Bull up

22 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Marks announces he is entering his name to the transfer portal.

If he goes, it would hit the RB room even harder than receiver group of Johnson, KJ, Jones, and Mabry. We recovered ok the following year then, hopefully others could step up next year.

I guess that's the thing to do in recent years.  Do a great job, make a name for yourself at a 'mid-major' school, and then hit the transfer portal for the final season with hopes of playing for a P-5 team (perceived next level) and getting more notice.  KJ Osborne is a great example.

On the flip side,  there are P-5 players sitting on the bench and having their football careers frittered away... so they look into transferring to MAC schools to get playing time and get noticed.

23 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

An article on 247 reports Marks is receiving interest from UNC, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and UCLA.

McDuffie, Cook Jr, Burell does sound about right. Their body types and skillset look similar to Reed, Theo Anderson, Hawkins in 2017.

Now reported Marks is hearing from USC, Northwestern, Indiana, Rutgers, USF, Cal, and La Tech. Thank goodness we never got to see what list Mack entering the portal would have produced.

Just today an Akron CB, a good Ohio CB Marlin Brooks, and BGSU's starting center, all entered the portal. So as Lance said a few weeks ago, a lot of team will have unknowns long into the 2nd semester.

A lot of those going into the portal to move up in conference for "better competition" may not go.  They may be required to sit a year,  The NCAA has delayed its vote on one time transfers being allowed to play immediately.

Their choice will be to stay where they are and play or sit a year and possibly never really play again.

I do not think this is an issue for graduate transfers.

Good news.  I wonder what the thought process was?  just exploring options i suppose.  But sometimes it's better to remain at the "known" than go off into the unknown....

Being the big fish in a little pond so to speak can pay dividends for some guys wanting to get to the next level.  

1 hour ago, zigo230 said:

Good news.  I wonder what the thought process was?  just exploring options i suppose.  But sometimes it's better to remain at the "known" than go off into the unknown....

Being the big fish in a little pond so to speak can pay dividends for some guys wanting to get to the next level.  

He also may have been forced to sit out next year.  The one time transfer option has not yet been approved by the NCAA.  IF he went to a Power 5 school by the 2022 season they may have a freshman (true or red shirt) that would send him to the bench.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Huh, I didn’t realize that was due to talent.  I thought he might be sick or injured.  

Me too, he was no longer on the roster at some point. Being part of the 2016 signing class and mostly a special teams player I assume he is 1 year eligible. With Patterson, Wright, and Terry all back, 2021 will be about grooming the next wave of Tate, Rich Miller, and exciting to see how fast Jaillen Howze will get on the field. And Dolac looked like he may play himself into a scholarship.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting that UB's Off-season rack winners have included Vantrease, Riggins, Dom Johnson, Woetzel, Molinich, grads who had to make a choice. Others have chosen to release statements. Molinich and Dom still blocking with Marks running would keep our running game rolling. Riggins back with Eric Black, two fast Rochester DE's, would be awesome. I was all for Vantrease in 2019 and 2020. I expected him to hang them up or grad transfer elsewhere, and let Myers/Bycznski battle. But if he wants to lead us for a 3rd season, great!