Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

35 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

Not to malign another non P5 team in the top 25, but looking at resumes is there any justification for Nevada to be above us?

Roster talent on paper plays a huge factor. Because they had so many good returning players and recruits, that played a significant factor in them getting a preseason #7 ballet. And they've been able to maintain that status for the most part this season.

21 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Bulls are 18th in NET today. 21st in kenpom. Syracuse jumped 8 spots in NET after beating Louville. Arizona St is the zombie that keeps crawling out of the grave. It beats a so-so Stanford, at home no less, and kenpom moves them up to 55th. NET only moved them up 2 to 66th.

That would put us as a 5 seed. I don’t like 5 seeds given the history of 12 seed upsets. But if we do get a 5 seed the committee will almost surely put us against Arizona St as the 12, assuming they win their play in game.

44 minutes ago, yussi1870 said:

That would put us as a 5 seed. I don’t like 5 seeds given the history of 12 seed upsets. But if we do get a 5 seed the committee will almost surely put us against Arizona St as the 12, assuming they win their play in game.

Hasn’t the 12/5 upset become less of thing recently? I much rather be a 5/6 than a 7/8. I want to avoid playing a 1/2 in the 2nd round. But overall I think we will fall within 5-8 range. 5 if we win out and 8 with one more loss. 

Crazy thing is that we still have upto 8 more games left before the big dance. Anything can happen.

Nevada like us tried to play a tough regional schedule but then the PAC 12 ended up garbage and the MTN has underperformed.

UB played a tough regional schedule with cuse and WVU and the great and powerful st bonaventure underperforming but the MAC has over performed. 

But by the time you get to conference play poll inertia takes hold....we’d be #8 right now without our MAC losses (whether deserved or not we’d be there)

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 1:25 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

I believe once you play the game it remains in the quad. What I mean is the Toledo win on the road is a quad 1 win regardless of toledo falls in the net. Our record versus Q1 teams is 2-1 regardless what happens to those teams after we’ve played them. Same thing if BG were to become a Q1 team our loss to them won’t be a Q1 loss.

Guys I want to apologize for being ABSOLUTELY WRONG. As the season progresses and teams jockey  up and down the net rankings, games CAN bounce between quads. Our game and victory against San Fran is now a quad 1 win...for now. We will see at seasons end if it remains that way. My bad for giving out wrong info. Here’s a great article explaining it all...

https://buffalonews.com/2019/02/21/ub-mens-basketball-ncaa-tournament-mac-quadrants-net-west-virginia-kent-state-2019/

• Like 1

Bulls seem to move in the NET a lot more than in the AP, and Coaches’ Polls, and Lunardi’s Bracketology. All they can do is take each game and win - hopefully big. They have no control over the other stuff. If they end up a 7 seed, so be it. Just don’t let the 2 in that region be Kentucky.