Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Track Haters

BrooklynBull

For all of you who hate the track around the football field, here is an example of someone stepping up to do something about removing a track.

https://goracers.com/news/2021/1/19/football-racers-announces-six-figure-gift-for-clear-the-track-campaign.aspx

So if you do not want the track around the field, do something.  If not stop complaining.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

For all of you who hate the track around the football field, here is an example of someone stepping up to do something about removing a track.

https://goracers.com/news/2021/1/19/football-racers-announces-six-figure-gift-for-clear-the-track-campaign.aspx

So if you do not want the track around the field, do something.  If not stop complaining.

I'm a donor so I guess I'll keep complaining...

• Like 1

I agree that our stadium could use some work.  I think that "just" removing the track would be a huge waste of money.  It buys nothing as far as better sightlines to the field for the fans in the stands.  Would it make the place look a bit better, sure, but wasting $$ on aesthetics when there's useful things that are needed seems crazy to me.  Now, if there was a fund to move the playing surface closer to the West Side Grandstand, build a new East side closer to the new surface, and bring the South bleachers in closer to complete the U, I'm in.  

• Like 2

On 1/20/2021 at 3:01 PM, ChubbyHubby said:

I agree that our stadium could use some work.  I think that "just" removing the track would be a huge waste of money.  It buys nothing as far as better sightlines to the field for the fans in the stands.  Would it make the place look a bit better, sure, but wasting $$ on aesthetics when there's useful things that are needed seems crazy to me.  Now, if there was a fund to move the playing surface closer to the West Side Grandstand, build a new East side closer to the new surface, and bring the South bleachers in closer to complete the U, I'm in.  

Exactly. They need to dig down and lower the field done and add a new lower level of seating so the stands become closer. Probably dismantle the south bleachers as well.

On 1/20/2021 at 3:01 PM, ChubbyHubby said:

Exactly. They need to dig down and lower the field some and add a new lower level of seating so the stands become closer. Probably dismantle the south bleachers as well.

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

Exactly. They need to dig down and lower the field some and add a new lower level of seating so the stands become closer. Probably dismantle the south bleachers as well.

Yeah, because the stadium is so packed as it is stands right now. Let's take away the track from the sport that makes up 6/16ths of the athletics teams and add thousands of more seats at a major cost, while the existing seats sit mostly empty.

16 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Yeah, because the stadium is so packed as it is stands right now. Let's take away the track from the sport that makes up 6/16ths of the athletics teams and add thousands of more seats at a major cost, while the existing seats sit mostly empty.

Or... Just have UB play where the Bills play. 

16 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

the idea of digging down and adding seats does get some people closer to the action, but it does absolutely nothing positive for the existing seats.  It just makes them that much further away.  

Well no, you're not any further away than you are right now. Your making new seats that are closer.

At this point in time, football games are mostly TV events..  even when things get back to "normal" it's hard to envision packed football stadiums, especially in the MAC.  It would be nice to get rid of it, but not sure if the track removal is a priority when it comes to spending $$.  

43 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Well no, you're not any further away than you are right now. Your making new seats that are closer.

When I said further away, I meant that they'd be slightly further away from the existing seats, only because the playing surface would be lower.  All I'm saying is, nothing short of moving the playing surface either closer to the east or west grandstand, and moving the opposite side in, is going to help.

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

At least play games when students are on break. Thanksgiving Friday. Make it a tradition.

While I like the idea of playing there, the last time we did that, it was a bit of a financial disaster.  Late in November, in the heart of the snow belt.  Clearing the lots cost a fortune.  It was nice to sit in an area with heat, though.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 8:54 AM, BrooklynBull said:

Wait, you don't actually think this Murray State fundraising campaign actually is about removing the athletic track from the stadium...do you?  Read articles, people, not just headlines.

The campaign is to raise $$ for the football program.  It's called clear the track because a football tradition for the Murray State RACERS is a RACE Horse running around the track after a TD.  The PA announcer literally shouts "clear the track, clear the track, for RACER one", and then the hourse and jockey run around the track.

LOL.  The campaign is called "Clear the Track" because it's a motto associated with the history of the program, not because they are actually trying to get rid of the track around their field LMAO.

On a more Serious UB note, any discussion of removing the track without a fair and realistic plan to build a new outdoor track and field facility for the Track and Field team is a non-starter, end of story.  You don't get to discontinue an entire athletic program (for both Men and Women) because you want better sight lines.

Edited by UBigbobby
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

Wait, you don't actually think this Murray State fundraising campaign actually is about removing the athletic track from the stadium...do you?  Read articles, people, not just headlines.

The campaign is to raise $$ for the football program.  It's called clear the track because a football tradition for the Murray State RACERS is a RACE Horse running around the track after a TD.  The PA announcer literally shouts "clear the track, clear the track, for RACER one", and then the hourse and jockey run around the track.

LOL.  The campaign is called "Clear the Track" because it's a motto associated with the history of the program, not because they are actually trying to get rid of the track around their field LMAO.

On a more Serious UB note, any discussion of removing the track without a fair and realistic plan to build a new outdoor track and field facility for the Track and Field team is a non-starter, end of story.  You don't get to discontinue an entire athletic program (for both Men and Women) because you want better sight lines.

Kunz field already is a track. It would need improving and resurfacing,  but it is a structure on campus already.