Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Track Haters

BrooklynBull

Interesting scoops from John Wawrow today on the Bills stadium, 60k seats and 60 suites. But this is how close we came to a huge upgrade:

"The two other locations considered were on the University at Buffalo campus north of the city, and a downtown site on the land where the abandoned Perry Projects sit empty. The projected cost of a downtown stadium came to $1.9 billion, not including necessary infrastructure upgrades...."

I cannot find anything on what a UB North project would have been or cost. I assume cheaper, with state-owned land, plenty of lots, and no parking lost as opposed to the new stadium plans for one of the Bills surface lots. I believe the Bills just do not want to run from the sunk investments to improve team facilities around Highmark. 

With the practice facility, UB has done a nice job making the area around the stadium look and feel big time.  The track, however, and the large empty areas beyond the north and south end zones are very mid-major-ish.  Sorry, it just is.  Look at another smaller stadium like Liberty University and how great that looks on gamedays and on TV.  No track.  I believe Boise State got rid of their track a few years ago and pulled the end zone seating right up to the back of the end zones.   

59 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

I believe Boise State got rid of their track a few years ago and pulled the end zone seating right up to the back of the end zones.   

You are correct that the endzone seating was moved in closer.  The track actually goes underneath the bleachers.  Not sure if it's usable or not.

1 hour ago, ChubbyHubby said:

You are correct that the endzone seating was moved in closer.  The track actually goes underneath the bleachers.  Not sure if it's usable or not.

The track is not usable for track meets, because the officials lose sight of the runners when they go under the stands.  Same issue for Nevada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zigo230 said:

With the practice facility, UB has done a nice job making the area around the stadium look and feel big time.  The track, however, and the large empty areas beyond the north and south end zones are very mid-major-ish.  Sorry, it just is.  Look at another smaller stadium like Liberty University and how great that looks on gamedays and on TV.  No track.  I believe Boise State got rid of their track a few years ago and pulled the end zone seating right up to the back of the end zones.   

Not to mention the first 15 or so rows on the sidelines you cannot remotely follow the game because it’s so low.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

The track is not usable for track meets, because the officials lose sight of the runners when they go under the stands.  Same issue for Nevada.

Correct. It's possible that the runners could jump in a motorcycle sidecar while out of the judges' sight. 

3 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Not to mention the first 15 or so rows on the sidelines you cannot remotely follow the game because it’s so low.

Anything higher than the first 15 rows is starting to get too far from the field. It's really a terrible stadium to watch a game. I really hope they are a tenant of the Bills new stadium. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the game in Nebraska.  At one time there was a track in Memorial Stadium.

Nebraska Memorial Stadium as she looked before all the remodeling began. In  1959,… | Nebraska huskers football, Nebraska cornhuskers football, Nebraska  cornhuskers

Although it is no longer there,from the field it is still obvious that there once was a track.  The stands in both end zones were built over where the track was.  For the stands on the sides, if you see where they curve in on the far side of the field that has been evened off with the ends of the stands.  There is still a gap from the stands to the field and bench areas.  It is wide enough that the sideline camera was able to drive back and forth with ease.

As for the upper decks in the stands it is very similar to the Citrus Bowl in Orlando and Neyland Stadium in Tennessee.  Looking at the stadium from field level you can see the original stadium set up.The second and third decks as well as the press box were built on top of what is seen in the photo above.  It does not appear that the field was lowered at anytime, not changing the sight lines.

On 9/1/2021 at 6:20 PM, Kr632 said:

Anything higher than the first 15 rows is starting to get too far from the field. It's really a terrible stadium to watch a game. I really hope they are a tenant of the Bills new stadium. 

It's a tough call.  Look around the country.  There are other programs that have built smaller, but nice stadiums on campus.  USF in Tampa is desperate to get out of Raymond James and fund an on-campus stadium.  In my opinion, it's better for the college football experience to play on your campus. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Was at the game in Nebraska.  At one time there was a track in Memorial Stadium.

Nebraska Memorial Stadium as she looked before all the remodeling began. In  1959,… | Nebraska huskers football, Nebraska cornhuskers football, Nebraska  cornhuskers

Although it is no longer there,from the field it is still obvious that there once was a track.  The stands in both end zones were built over where the track was.  For the stands on the sides, if you see where they curve in on the far side of the field that has been evened off with the ends of the stands.  There is still a gap from the stands to the field and bench areas.  It is wide enough that the sideline camera was able to drive back and forth with ease.

As for the upper decks in the stands it is very similar to the Citrus Bowl in Orlando and Neyland Stadium in Tennessee.  Looking at the stadium from field level you can see the original stadium set up.The second and third decks as well as the press box were built on top of what is seen in the photo above.  It does not appear that the field was lowered at anytime, not changing the sight lines.

Being at the game Saturday, this is a very cool picture! I started in Row A (behind UB bench) and you could tell these were expansion seats (over part of track), plus the fact that I had an obstructed view with players/equipment at sight level. Later moved up to UB fan/parent section...much better game view. Amazing job NEB did with their stadium expansion...beautiful architectural work!

34 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

It's a tough call.  Look around the country.  There are other programs that have built smaller, but nice stadiums on campus.  USF in Tampa is desperate to get out of Raymond James and fund an on-campus stadium.  In my opinion, it's better for the college football experience to play on your campus. 

I agree that it's better for colleges to play on campus in their own stadium but I don't think UB has the money to renovate or build a new stadium anytime soon.

To be completely honest id go to more games if they played at Walter kunz stadium up the road. Maybe throw some bleachers up like the ones in the current endzones on opposite side of the hill.  Their current stadium is terrible for any event that I've been to.