Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Willie Lightfoot

DooleyBull06

13 minutes ago, Erie County said:

He would be a big get. Tough to see how bama wouldnt get him though

Agreed, but that is some solid company to be part of that 5. Fingers crossed that he sees something in Buffalo that sets us apart and keeps things moving forward with the program.

38 minutes ago, SGBull said:

The fact that he is considering us and 4 major conference programs is encouraging.

Hopefully we can keep up the solid play, but the suffocating defense and transition offense we play is exciting and what a lot of kids would like to be part of. Not sure who our major recruiter is at this point, but I'm excited hearing this news. Let's keep it up for the rest of the season and into the tournament. Go Bulls!!

17 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Well, he's from Niagara Falls, so that surely helps. Still good to be in the mix, gotta be in it to win it!

Didn't realize the Niagara Falls angle, but that helps. I saw Kansas, so must be prep school like a lot of these guys. Home cooking can really help the process!

13 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Didn't realize the Niagara Falls angle, but that helps. I saw Kansas, so must be prep school like a lot of these guys. Home cooking can really help the process!

Yes, he, along with Roddy Gayle were big time prospects both from Niagara Falls. Both took the prep school route, with Lightfoot leaving early and Gayle leaving more recently.

Gotta be a I'll appease friends and family and say I'm thinking about staying near home

But I'll play along, with the new transfer at any time why not choose UB, most likely get big important minutes right away vs a potential red shirt or bottom of the bench minutes freshmen year. If the team isn't winning/working out transfer.

3 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Something to keep in mind...Wojo could be on the hot seat at Marquette.  

Is marquette the only school that doesn't have a western new York tie? Or do they have one I'm not thinking of

Ub - location

Alabama - oats/hodgson

Oregon - assistant coach from buffalo

• Like 1

Pleasantly surprised to see UB in this top 5, especially considering the competition.  Gotta assume he's gonna pick one of the bigger schools, but with Chanse Robinson out of the program, Lightfoot could walk right in here, be a very significant contributor day 1, and presumably have the starting PG job locked-down for his final 3 years.  (Edit to add - missed he was a 2022 class, but also not sure if Rondo plans to play 4 or 5 years with the extra eligibility)

Edited by UBlearns

16 hours ago, Tee4three said:

But I'll play along, with the new transfer at any time why not choose UB, most likely get big important minutes right away vs a potential red shirt or bottom of the bench minutes freshmen year. If the team isn't winning/working out transfer.

Maybe I am fooling myself, but I think we have a good chance with him.  First for the reason that you cite.  He would have a better chance at meaningful minutes right away and option to transfer.   He would be close to home.  Lastly, the number of PG recruits at the other schools, Marquette (7 offers; 4 star - 3), Alabama (13 offers; 4/5 Star - 5,  Oregon (6 offers / 4 Star - 4) and Minnesota (4 offers / 3 star - 1).

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Erie County said:

We all hope so. 

He'd be 4 year stud in the MAC with tons of eyes on him to sell out Alumni 

He needs to look at some of the post-UB careers of our players and not just the #1 player. We have groups that go 4-5 deep playing oversees making great, tax free money. Have an awesome college career where he can be dominate and be loved by the crowd at home could be a big selling point. Look at Mballa, Williams, Segu. Swap Graves for Lightfoot and some of our bench guys taking another step and that's quite a group. And we haven't factored in Zaakir. Could be a special season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

... We have groups that go 4-5 deep playing oversees making great, tax free money...

I haven't worked overseas for a while, but if you are a US citizen, I'm pretty sure that you still need to be outside the country for a minimum of 330 days in a 12 month period to qualify for relief of a portion of your esrnings. And even then, the allowance is only for about the first $100,000 or so (the value is adjusted ever year). Anything above that is subject to normal federal tax. If, for some reason, you claim a domicile in a place with a state tax, you'd have to pay that along with any federal taxes.

So, in short, that overseas paycheck is likely not "tax free".

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 11:59 AM, C1ubP1fanaticM7 said:

I’m nearly certain he’ll be committing to Oregon. A few months back he “committed” to Oregon on a private snapchat story. I would love to have him at UB, he’s an absolute dog. Plays D like Caruthers and Jordan. And I love a homegrown product. But he left the area for a reason. Still, I hope that I’m wrong.

I messaged him a few weeks back and asked him about his recruiting process and he told me he was deciding between Buffalo and one other school. He didn’t name the school and I didn’t want to pry but I’m guessing it was between UB and Oregon. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marty22 said:

I messaged him a few weeks back and asked him about his recruiting process and he told me he was deciding between Buffalo and one other school. He didn’t name the school and I didn’t want to pry but I’m guessing it was between UB and Oregon. 

That could be 3 nice pieces 

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Picked up an out-of-nowhere offer from Bowling Green. Anyone know anything?

He posted this back in February. We were in his final 5. Unsure what has happened in the last 6+ months. It’s been pretty quiet. We will see what happens. The #1 spot is pretty wide open and for the taking next year, so maybe he will recognize the big need for it and take advantage 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

13355509-38CF-4033-B897-4156DB3F3002.jpeg