Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

“Blue collar U” TBT

Bill

20 hours ago, MuchMany said:

And roll them we did.

Like everyone else, super proud of them and super thankful for the opportunity to relive the glory years.

I especially loved getting to feel that strange old sensation of dominating up double digits and still being stressed because of our frenetic pace and loveable gaffes (Nick's botched catch before the Elam 🤦).

Let's get that banner up in Alumni this winter 🤘🤘

Watching it again today - knowing the outcome I can actually relax. Watching last night even when we were up by double digits I was stressed whenever Perk would miss a free throw, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1975 said:

Watching it again today - knowing the outcome I can actually relax. Watching last night even when we were up by double digits I was stressed whenever Perk would miss a free throw, etc. 

You could also ignore the announcers trying to maintain interest when they said "...a couple of stops and a couple of made threes, get it down to six or less by four minute mark and you got a ballgame.'  That wasn't that much of a stretch when it was an 10/11 point lead. 

9 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

Funniest part of the game was the interview with Nate at half. She asked him what advice he’d give the team as far as adjustments and I pretty sure Nate was thinking “Not a damn thing because this game is over” but he had to be diplomatic. 

That interview was a bit painful.  Her buildup to the first question took way too long.  There were 7 of us watching together.  After about the first minute of her intro, 3 of us at the same time said, "just ask the question".   You could see that Nate was about to speak, and she just kept on talking.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

That interview was a bit painful.  Her buildup to the first question took way too long.  There were 7 of us watching together.  After about the first minute of her intro, 3 of us at the same time said, "just ask the question".   You could see that Nate was about to speak, and she just kept on talking.

It's a huge issue with a lot of sports journalists. They literally feed the answer they want to the person they are asking the question of.

25 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Blue Collar U auctioning game worn jerseys for @CoachingLoveInc

This is great to see -  I wish them much success with the auction.  Excuse my tech ignorance - how would you DM (direct message) them - would that be via twitter as well? 

1 minute ago, DocCas86 said:

This is great to see -  I wish them much success with the auction.  Excuse my tech ignorance - how would you DM (direct message) them - would that be via twitter as well? 

You go on twitter, go to your "messages" along the left, then create a new message to @coachingloveinc.  I just tried it and it said @coachingloveinc isn't accepting messages. Weird.

18 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

You go on twitter, go to your "messages" along the left, then create a new message to @coachingloveinc.  I just tried it and it said @coachingloveinc isn't accepting messages. Weird.

Thanks.  I guess I should have stated I am not on Twitter.  Maybe shouldn't admit that - but it has not interested me enough to motivate me to join.   That explains why I couldn't figure something so simple.

Good luck in your bidding!

Edited by DocCas86

22 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Thanks.  I guess I should have stated I am not on Twitter.  Maybe shouldn't admit that - but it has not interested me enough to motivate me to join.   That explains why I couldn't figure something so simple.

Good luck in your bidding!

Twitter is great for sports related updates and being in the loop for sports and your favorite teams. Otherwise it’s a toxic wasteland 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 10:29 PM, MKBullsfan said:

I have one request of this fan board. Can we keep track closely where these players go next for their pro stops? I want to know where Wes and Bearden sign in Europe or North America. Be cool to track their seasons during the TBT offseason. 

And with inflation TBT has to up the prize to 1.5 mil at least next year. They are starting to sound like Dr. Evil…

I was able to compile CJs career stats from https://basketball.realgm.com/ and can easily do others.  What do people think of this 'Bubble Gum Card' back:

image.thumb.png.4a7f05c7ae91d28eb19cae1357439135.png

Edited by DocCas86

On 8/2/2022 at 10:25 PM, MuchMany said:

And roll them we did.

Like everyone else, super proud of them and super thankful for the opportunity to relive the glory years.

I especially loved getting to feel that strange old sensation of dominating up double digits and still being stressed because of our frenetic pace and loveable gaffes (Nick's botched catch before the Elam 🤦).

Let's get that banner up in Alumni this winter 🤘🤘

While I loved the TBT and the fact that BCU won it all. While it did great things for the UB brand. The team is not a UB team. It is made of several UB alumni as well as players from several other schools. The space up their belongs to UB student athletes and their accomplishments. Not some semi-pro team with while very strong its still just a connection to the school. 

• Like 2

IMO throw a banner up in the triple gym where BCU practices and as a reminder to the current players that working hard while at UB can lead to professional success. At high major schools you’ll find reminders of their NBA players everywhere. I tend to agree not to hang a banner in Alumni Arena, if we host TBT next year they bring banners of all the past winners so it’ll be there when BCU is playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, everlast2504 said:

While I loved the TBT and the fact that BCU won it all. While it did great things for the UB brand. The team is not a UB team. It is made of several UB alumni as well as players from several other schools. The space up their belongs to UB student athletes and their accomplishments. Not some semi-pro team with while very strong its still just a connection to the school. 

The first thing you see on UB Basketball's official website right now is "Blue Collar U, the University at Buffalo men's basketball alumni program, claimed the 2022 TBT, winning the $1 million prize..." Hardly consistent with BCU dismissed as "some semi-pro team."

If Lillard, Dennis, and Matthews didn't play 10% of minutes and it was a "true" alumni team, would your perspective change? I kind of doubt it. 

In the NIL era, passing on honoring a group of our all-time greats and promoting our program brand with a small banner in the name of some bygone ideal of amateurism feels like a mistake. A compromise could be a paid advertisement in the shape of a banner congratulating the team...but to me that just highlights the gray area absurdity of objecting in the first place.

• Like 2

Maybe they need to dedicate an area or just shelf space behind some glass of alumni arena for alumni achievements for the basketball team

Could put blue collar u things/pictures there as well as any MVP/awards/championships/draft picks etc from former ub basketball players as well

Edited by Tee4three

7 hours ago, MuchMany said:

The first thing you see on UB Basketball's official website right now is "Blue Collar U, the University at Buffalo men's basketball alumni program, claimed the 2022 TBT, winning the $1 million prize..." Hardly consistent with BCU dismissed as "some semi-pro team."

If Lillard, Dennis, and Matthews didn't play 10% of minutes and it was a "true" alumni team, would your perspective change? I kind of doubt it. 

In the NIL era, passing on honoring a group of our all-time greats and promoting our program brand with a small banner in the name of some bygone ideal of amateurism feels like a mistake. A compromise could be a paid advertisement in the shape of a banner congratulating the team...but to me that just highlights the gray area absurdity of objecting in the first place.

It's not a gray area for me not even close. They are no longer students of UB after leaving the school you lose certain rights like being able to hang banners for your non-UB team winning a tournament.  While I agree an area in alumni and the stadium can and should be done for alumni achievements. It really should be limited to some shelf space behind some glass, as other posters have said.  Banners hanging from rafters should be the exclusive right of when UB wins titles. 

I'd be more than fine with some sort of recognition of this team/championship in the AA. It brought a lot of joy to the community and it's fans and is representative of the best times that the school and team has had (while they were at UB). While I don't think it should be equivalent to a MAC banner or number banner, it absolutely should have a place in the arena. I would think as a marketing thing, it would be nothing but beneficial. Someone comes to a game and sees the team photo, they will likely smile and be more apt to go to another game/donate. 

8 hours ago, MuchMany said:

A better compromise would be a colorful, backlit professionally designed and built display in the AA lobby. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1975 said:

A better compromise would be a colorful, backlit professionally designed and built display in the AA lobby. 

Some shelf space was an understatement on my part. This is what really should happen. But there needs to be a clear distinct difference between what Alumni have done and what students have done. Also funding goes to show off studnet accomplishments first and foremost before their post collegiate careers.  

Damn we went from loving BCU to dumping all over them quickly. Why can’t we enjoy nice things? These men represented themselves, our school and city well. That’s all you can ask for from alumni, regardless of profession. Can we just enjoy this? There’s absolutely no downside to what they accomplished.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Damn we went from loving BCU to dumping all over them quickly. Why can’t we enjoy nice things? These men represented themselves, our school and city well. That’s all you can ask for from alumni, regardless of profession. Can we just enjoy this? There’s absolutely no downside to what they accomplished.

I'm with you on that. Most universities and their fans embrace this stuff. Look at the turnout in Dayton for God's sake!! They were ready to bring down the house for their team and BCU still won in that environment. It was as crazy as the WVU overtime game. 

Edited by UBinMD
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

Saw Wes Clark is playing with Jayvon Graves on the same team in France. Pretty cool. Limoges basketball is in the top league in France and CJ played there last year. Good for Wes and Jayvon.

Honing their skills to repeat next year at TBT