Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell Appreciation Thread

UB92

I am surprised, but also pleased to be starting this thread.  But what’s fair is fair. 

The team won two games that, I think, they would have lost earlier in the season.  I want to recognize the coaching, especially getting the guys to refocus in OT after the heartbreaking tip-in at the end of regulation. 

Go Bulls. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The second half of this season has been an incredible turn around. If we win tonight I will gladly accept “cold takes” foaming for my criticism of JW. If they show up ready to go and play with killer instinct (play like Ohio doesn’t deserve a shot at us) tonight I’ll start to get excited about what is possible under Whitesell as a coach with what could be a dangerous roster next year.

All the criticism was deserved but he has corrected almost if not all of the issues in the second half of the season, which is impressive.

With that said they have a championship game tonight, a game they are favored to win. Lets see that continued improvement tonight

• Like 1

I definitely take a step back on my criticism of the Whitesell hire & era given the recent surge of competition. The team looks to have gelled and is playing with a fire not seen earlier in the year - I criticized Wihtesell for that earlier in the year so it would be hypocritical to not praise him for the turnaround. Regardless of what happens tonight, getting here was a huge step. Win and the undisputed dominance of Buffalo over the MAC conference continues. Lose and this stud junior class has a huge motivation to stick together and prove that they can return to win it in their senior season. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ub2019 said:

Off topic, but do we know if all the seniors on this years team are definitely leaving after the year?

That is a great question. If I were in the shoes of any of them, I would be moving on. I’ve criticized Graves, Bertram, Nickleberry...but I’d take any one of them back next year in a heartbeat.

2 hours ago, ub2019 said:

Off topic, but do we know if all the seniors on this years team are definitely leaving after the year?

I would say yes. They had senior nights with family videos and alluded to it with their posts. 

Brewton did not have a senior day, he will be back next year. 

I wouldn't expect Graves, Nickelberry, or Brock to be back next season. 

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

I would say yes. They had senior nights with family videos and alluded to it with their posts. 

Brewton did not have a senior day, he will be back next year. 

I wouldn't expect Graves, Nickelberry, or Brock to be back next season. 

This. Graves in particular I think has alluded on social media that he’ll be moving on. 

51 minutes ago, UB05 said:

This. Graves in particular I think has alluded on social media that he’ll be moving on. 

With the way his second half went, I could see Nickleberry consider a return. Could be a strong 6th man with some continued improvement.

People have been critical because we've become used to competing for the title and we expect them to.  I think that's fair. But I think there was a lot of residual negativity from people who didn't approve of the hiring.  I think that was a little beyond what they deserved at times.  This team has done so far what we expected - they got better over the course of the year; they're playing their best basketball at the right time; they're competing for the title.  I think that based on the recent years of success, the program and the coach (who was a big part of that success) has earned a benefit of the doubt from us.  I've told myself several times the past two years, "lighten up! Times are good, we've seen some great things in the last couple seasons, it's all good!"  The glass at UB is very much at least half full.  Let the good times roll

8 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

People have been critical because we've become used to competing for the title and we expect them to.  I think that's fair. But I think there was a lot of residual negativity from people who didn't approve of the hiring.  I think that was a little beyond what they deserved at times.  This team has done so far what we expected - they got better over the course of the year; they're playing their best basketball at the right time; they're competing for the title.  I think that based on the recent years of success, the program and the coach (who was a big part of that success) has earned a benefit of the doubt from us.  I've told myself several times the past two years, "lighten up! Times are good, we've seen some great things in the last couple seasons, it's all good!"  The glass at UB is very much at least half full.  Let the good times roll

If we happened to win tonight and say we win our first round game, do teams come calling on Whitesell? With Nate's success in in Alabama and people wanting to copy other's success. I could see a slighting upper level (A-10, Conference USA) calling and doubling his money. Maybe Quarles becomes the 4th coach in a row to keep the winning going.

7 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

...Times are good, we've seen some great things in the last couple seasons, it's all good!"  ...

Well said, and for the most part I agree.  I'll add some speculation though.  I think that some of the negativity was not aimed directly at where things stand right now.  I think that some people were/are concerned with the future, and a continuation of the perceived trend.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Well said, and for the most part I agree.  I'll add some speculation though.  I think that some of the negativity was not aimed directly at where things stand right now.  I think that some people were/are concerned with the future, and a continuation of the perceived trend.

I don’t get why this was so har d to understand. It’s what myself, @961819, @Erie Countyand a few others stated explicitly multiple times lol

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

If we happened to win tonight and say we win our first round game, do teams come calling on Whitesell? With Nate's success in in Alabama and people wanting to copy other's success. I could see a slighting upper level (A-10, Conference USA) calling and doubling his money. Maybe Quarles becomes the 4th coach in a row to keep the winning going.

Pipe dreaming (love it) but...let’s just win tonight. 

2 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

...  stated explicitly multiple times ...

Personally I don't have a problem with anyone's opinion.  Chances are, I'll learn something along the way.  (like when BasketBull recently explained his feelings about Graves).  I'm not a fan of the repetition though.  Now I'm speaking less about this thread, and more about "player xx sucks, they're trash..." 20+ times in each gamethread.

• Like 1

Okay Jim.   This is your appreciation thread.  

Your team, which was favored in this game, scored 21 points in 20 minutes, while “holding” the other team to 52% shooting.  

What will you do?   You tried playing a few guys in that first half that hadn’t played in a while. It did not work. Your team couldn’t stop a 16 - 0 run.   They played a very confused half.  No flow on offense, a step behind on defense. 

It will be almost impossible to come back down 20, but can you get your team to come out and play like they are in the MAC Championship game?   They certainly didn’t come out of the locker room to start that way. 

We shall see. 

• Like 1

When the Bulls got it to 10...Brock made a nice block.  Ohio had 3 seconds on the clock and ran a play where vandderplas ran Mballa around and was open to hit a three.  It was a play that was clearly practiced...but it wasn’t defended.  In fact, they used it a few other times tonight.  

On the very next possession, Segu drives into the trees and shoots a wild layup.   

What makes a player think that is a good shot?  It was a bad decision. 

My son is watching the game with me and he said UB has more talent, but isn’t really running plays.  He doesn’t read this board and doesn’t watch much UB basketball.  But he was able to see what was in front of him. 

With that, I am out.  I have been a UBfan since Reagan was in the White House.  But I don’t like this coach — I am sorry.  I think he can not get what is needed out of his players when he needs it.  Next year will be a little worse than this year, then the cliff comes.  I could ride it out if I liked the coach and the brand of basketball his team plays, but I don’t.   I will not post in this basketball board again until the Whitesell era ends.  This does not mean I won’t support the team - I most certainly will.   And I hope JW wins 4 MAC Championships in a row - I do.  Because I bleed blue.

On to football...