Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2021-2022 Roster

This is immediate and probably an overreaction but here it goes: Our success next year depends on the big 3 juniors.  If they all return we can and should compete for a MAC title.  If one or more depart we could be looking at a rebuild.

Bertram:  I believe he is done. And at this point he is what he is.  All heart and hustle but limited skill wise.

Skogman: Big men take long to develop.  In flashes we've seen the potential for him to be a stretch 5 best used in high screen and roll/pop situations.  Next season I expect him to be used more and be relied upon as impact bench player. We need him to take a step forward as next year will be his 3rd year in the program.  He needs to become the first big off the bench.

Tra'von Fagan: Is he back next seaon?  Feels like he's been here 7 years.  Academically he has to be a senior no? If he's back he's another who needs to become a reliable bench contributor.  Come in play defense and rebound and move around offensively. Slash and spot up and crash the glass.  I still don't know what he is.  He's 6'8 but doesn't play like a big.  And can't shoot like a 3 and D. 

Mballa:  Please stay.  Monster on the boards.  Just needs to refine his game.  Get better foot work and power moves in the post and he will be great.  Add a few low post/ foul line extended moves and he will be fine. And please  stop putting the ball on the ground when the defense collapses on him.  Pass out so the ball can rotate. Overall low post refinement.

Laquill Hardnett: Was great to see him earn a starting role and really improve as a sophomore. I want to see him continue to develop.  He's also 6'8 but doesn't always play like a big.  Would like to also see him develop some low post moves and learn to pass out of the post when defenses collapse on him.  Much like Mballa and Fagan, he's athletic...I want to see that used in pick and roll action.  Want to see low post moves. And the occasional in rhythm 3 he can improve on too, as he showed he can shoot.

Nickelberry: Will he be back?  Officially a senior. Has wing size and ball handling skills but isn't always fluid and turns the ball over. Was our point forward this season.  Showed some flashes. If he is back I wanna see him become that slasher and dribble penetrator like Harris was.  

Maceo Jack: Welcome.  Now fit and show us what you got.  Hopefully he can shoot and defend.  He brings a 6'5/190 frame so that's encouraging. Otherwise I don't know much about him.  And hopefully he can become a starting SG as that spot will be open with Graves moving on.

Savion Gallion: Boy did I have some hopes for him this season.  I hoped he would be a spark off the bench.  But he was buried on the bench.  And I don't know why?  Maybe because he isn't good defensively.  Bc he has shown he can shoot a little.  Here's to hoping as a junior he takes a big step forward.  He has size and shooting capability.  Was hoping and still am for big things out of him, as we need shooting guards.

Malik Zachary: ?????????????  What is his deal legally?  Do we even want him around?  I honestly don't know what the deal is with him and if he can even be counted on to be on the roster next season.  

Keishawn Brewton:  It was unfair to him to be thrown into that game tonight, having not played since January coming off a wrist injury.  This was a lost season for him. Here's to hoping he can potentially be the answer at shooting guard.  Whether that be as a starter or that scoring bench scorer.  We need both.

Segu: Just keep improving.  This is his team.  Would love to see him run more high screen and roll so his assist number can be higher.  I think not having a backup PG wore him down and was the reason he faded at the end of the regular season.  But overall he got better defensively and was great in Cleveland.  Just keep improving the decision making and shooting.  Use your speed and handle to create space and hit that mid range pull up. 

Williams: As with Rondo, keep improving.  With Rondo, Mballa and Williams...its their team going forward.  If Williams can improve his defense, ball handling in traffic and keep improving his shooting then he will be a player of the year.  I wanna see more consistency and intensity on defense.  With his length he should stop opposing players.  Love this kid, hope he stays.  Unfinished business.  

Williamson: Welcome.  Get acclimated and hopefully hit the ground running.  Again he's a big, and they take longer to develop, so temper expectations.  If he comes in and provides quality bench contributions then that's all you can ask for. 

Graves:  Thank you sincerely for 4 great years here.  I believe you are moving on.  I wish you the best and hope you find success in your pro career like other UB greats have.

I feel like we have the bigs to win in the MAC.  We dominated the glass.  Hopefully we can develop and find some shooters who can space the floor and make it easier for the bigs down low.  And we desperately need a back up PG.  Rondo can't play 35 minutes every game.  And Graves won't be here to be the back up PG.  We need a PG who can come in and be the back up now and the starter once Rondo graduates.  We go as far as the junior class will take us.  Now the staff has to surround them with the help they need.  Both in the starting lineup and bench.  I think Whitesell should now be looking to bring in 4 year players and not stop gap players. We need guys to grow together like Rondo and Williams. In mid major life upperclassman rule. 

Edited by DooleyBull06
Typos

The usual depth chart thread and player tracker

PG) Ronaldo Segu/Curtis Jones/Ty Perry
SG) Maceo Jack/Keishawn Brewton/Kidtrell Blocker
W) Jeenathan Williams
F) LaQuill Hardnett/Kuluel Mading/ Tra'von Fagan
F) Josh Mballa/Brock Bertram/David Skogman/Zaakir Williamson

Open spots - 1 (Based on how they classify Fagan)

Edited by Kevin

7 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

After next year we have 5 players on the roster. Skogman, Williamson, Gallion, Hardnett, Zachary? After next season we are rebuilding hardcore.

Can an admin merge this with the other roster thread?

Yeah, that's the doomsday scenario that any who have followed know is coming. 

It could happen in 2021 if any decide to transfer. 

And we will have JW in charge to rebuild.

The staff has shown the ability to sign talented players but they need to sign the right ones 

Its understandable that there is a lot of worry about the transfer rule. Why? Ub will have 3 very talented seniors, ub should be the ones grabbing talented transfers to play with those seniors. 

The lack of players in 2 years can be seen as a positive. Lots of potential to create and build or for the fans down on JW the school has less ties and obligation to him

The biggest immediate needs for the team next year are a backup PG ( hopefully that will be Zachery) and a backup wing in the 3 & D mold. The team definitely needs more shooting overall. 

Looking to the JUCO ranks would be interesting as any JUCO freshman should still have 4 years of eligibility left. 

26 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

The recruiting coach we hired was head coach at chipola, any players from there that could be potential recruits? 

I don't have any inside knowledge, but they have some 4 players who average 9 points or more, some who can shoot the  3.  I would think that they could have insight into some players on the other teams that Chipola plays as well.

Not that it’ll happen, but this was a free year correct? So the big 3 juniors could technically play for 2 more? I’d be stunned if Mballa especially didn’t go pro overseas but the potential exists to stay here another year I think.

23 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Not that it’ll happen, but this was a free year correct? So the big 3 juniors could technically play for 2 more? I’d be stunned if Mballa especially didn’t go pro overseas but the potential exists to stay here another year I think.

No joke, he should seriously consider trying out as an NFL TE after his college basketball years are done. 

14 hours ago, Kevin said:

The usual depth chart thread and player tracker

PG) Ronaldo Segu/Malik Zachery (?)
SG) Maceo Jack/Keishawn Brewton/Savion Gallion
W) Jeenathan Williams
PF) LaQuill Hardnett/Zaakir Williamson
C) Josh Mballa/David Skogman

As of now, three open spots to fill with no news on who/where. 

A sound breakdown. I used to call for Brock/Mballa to start for size, but Hardnett/Mballa starting generally worked.

Zachery tweeted: "We'll be back with a better outcome, watch". So it's good that he has stayed all-in, even if there are still questions.

This year's team had offensive and TO issues against top competition, like last season. I remember your Trainwreck broadcast where it was said last year's team was more talented, which I agreed with. This year we just had more clutch starters. The D was good enough even with losing Jordan, so who's to say losing Graves' D will make a huge difference. 

Jack may just be a slimmer Willie Conner, shoots threes and hit's FT and just ok elsewhere. If he logs a ton of minutes and hits for 11.5 ppg like at GW, cool. If he and Brewton can spread the floor and maintain low TO's, Brewton starts playing D instead of fouling, we can dream.

Oats' teams had TO issues yet negated that with scoring 84 ppg and blue collar play. This year's average was 81.7, so could we hit 84 again? Certainty on Williams, Mballa, Segu getting at least 45-50 combined a night? Jack/Brewton maybe 17-18 combined? Hardnett was only 6th on the team in shot attempts so at least 8 ppg from him would be expected. Zachery as a taller Mulkey, a drive and score or kick-out bench PG, with Skogman improvement, at least 10 a night combined. So if Williamson's pedigree turns out similar McCrea and Perkins, his freshman impact could be a difference off the bench.

24 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

There is something to be said to that remember due to the pandemic these guys never had off-season workouts last year. 

they do a lot of individual work in the off-season and that was taken away. 

To that point this team really took off after our covid pause. We played some games, got continuity. Then had a few weekly pauses but were still able to practice in that time. Similarly Ohio had the same happen. Just later in the season thus their fresher legs. Remember they didn’t play the last week of the regular season. 

Into this off season hopefully the studs return with refined games. And lead us next season. We find or develop some shooters and establish a bench. 

My eyes are gonna be where Hardnett is at next year. 2 years left of eligibility. Down the stretch he really started to get into a groove and developing nicely. I’ve been rooting for him because I think he has the potential to be a rock solid inside guy at the 4, but also has the opportunity to be confidential with his jump shot and putting up 3’s. 

The same thing here applies to Skogman. I think the off-season we are gonna see him develop and make a big leap into the rotating minutes.

If we can have someone out there with Mballa who can also rotate minutes with him, we are going to be dangerous inside.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

My eyes are gonna be where Hardnett is at next year. 2 years left of eligibility. Down the stretch he really started to get into a groove and developing nicely. I’ve been rooting for him because I think he has the potential to be a rock solid inside guy at the 4, but also has the opportunity to be confidential with his jump shot and putting up 3’s. 

The same thing here applies to Skogman. I think the off-season we are gonna see him develop and make a big leap into the rotating minutes.

If we can have someone out there with Mballa who can also rotate minutes with him, we are going to be dangerous inside.  

Now imagine that with another year of Jeenathan shooting and slashing. Segu dishing and shooting. Add some shooters who can space the floor for Mballa and Hardnett. Whether that be Brewton, Zachery and/or incoming recruit(s). And we can be back in the title game next year.

Edited by DooleyBull06
Typo

6 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Now imagine that with another year of Jeenathan shooting and slashing. Segu dishing and shooting. Add some shooters who can space the floor for Mballa and Hardnett. Whether that be Brewton, Zachery and/or incoming recruit(s). And we can be back in the title game next year.

As of now, it looks like us and Ohio should be the favorites next year to win the conference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I think Brewton is going to have a heck of a comeback next year. Staying healthy, more time to gel with the team. Maybe get a JUCO ready guard and build off of high school players at guard. 

• Like 1

• Jeseph changed the title to 2021-2022 Roster

Trying to keep the discussions in the right place re: Brewton from the Transfer thread.

I don't see anything as a lock for Brewton and I'm not expecting much from him. He looked physically overmatched on defense against strong guards, not to mention disinterested. On offense he was a jacker who made far too few shots. To me, he's an instant offense option off the bench when down big until he proves otherwise.

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Trying to keep the discussions in the right place re: Brewton from the Transfer thread.

I don't see anything as a lock for Brewton and I'm not expecting much from him. He looked physically overmatched on defense against strong guards, not to mention disinterested. On offense he was a jacker who made far too few shots. To me, he's an instant offense option off the bench when down big until he proves otherwise.

I agree with first statement that starting Brewton should not be considered a lock.  However, his stats at Coastal Carolina, suggest that he could contribute more (at least offensively).  For example, he shot 37.5% (60/160) from three his year at Coastal Carolina.   Maybe with practicing with team he settles into a shared role with Jack where we  get comparable production to what we are losing with Graves departure.

11 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I agree with first statement that starting Brewton should not be considered a lock.  However, his stats at Coastal Carolina, suggest that he could contribute more (at least offensively).  For example, he shot 37.5% (60/160) from three his year at Coastal Carolina.   Maybe with practicing with team he settles into a shared role with Jack where we  get comparable production to what we are losing with Graves departure.

I thought he was just trigger happy and was trying too hard to impress, if he settles down and plays like we know he can (coastal production), he could be a nice volume shooter 

• Like 1