Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2021-2022 Roster

4 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

I see 3 sides to this coin. 
Like Mike said, I think it’s a little funny, because it’s so unrealistic. 
As I already said, it’s good practice for their next (serious) year. 
But now, feeding off your comment, I’d rather they do what Coach asks of them next season, and not what the scouts tell them now.  

I think it’s 9pm and I’m cranky. 

4 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I think it’s 9pm and I’m cranky. 

Ha, I’ve definitely been there before.  

But adding to my previous comment, I wonder if part of Graves’ senior year decline had to do with being pulled in different directions.  Trying to follow coaches’ direction, while also improving areas that scouts feel are inadequate. 

50 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Doesn't necessarily fit here but doesn't need it's own thread... I'd say this is an ideal award for Skogman at this stage!

His physique has come a long way. I think he is going to be a major contributor next year. Him stretching the floor next to Mballa will be a nightmare for opposing coaches. He also won a pretty big academic honor this week I believe.

• Like 2

I remember watching the ohio game in athens this past season, skogman took a guy off the dribble at the 3pt line and slammed it on him

The announcer not knowing who it was took a second and said something along the lines of "wow that was.....david skogman.....red shirt freshman? I think he is gonna be a problem in this league for a few seasons

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tee4three said:

I remember watching the ohio game in athens this past season, skogman took a guy off the dribble at the 3pt line and slammed it on him

The announcer not knowing who it was took a second and said something along the lines of "wow that was.....david skogman.....red shirt freshman? I think he is gonna be a problem in this league for a few seasons

Skooogs. I wanna see our bigs used in more top of the key pick and roll pick and pop isolations. Would create so much matchup issues and put opposing teams in a blender. So many options offensively when you play pick and roll. And with guys like Rondo, Skogman, hopefully Mballa and Mading the talent is there. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bill said:

Saw on social media that Malik has been working out with rondo and josh in Orlando. Perhaps a sign that he might be playing next season with us after all? 

My take is given the fact that they kept Malik on roster all this time, the team planned to keep him on.  However, since no official word one way or the other, I wonder if we need NCAA go ahead to keep him on the team and we are waiting on that.

If he does get this 'second chance' - I hope he takes advantage of the opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated scholarship chart:

image.thumb.png.ae8ad88392435de9aade65e21a92e193.png

Zachery leaving and Blocker committing clarified a lot in terms of the depth chart, clearing up PG minutes and giving us more wing depth, as well as if the staff was looking to use the extra COVID scholarships.  We're sitting at the usual 13 now, and I would imagine we're probably at a final roster, barring some surprise late developments.

Seeing how the rotation pans out from the 3-5 will still be interesting as the staff seems to put an emphasis on developing perimeter skills for the big men.  We are huge for a MAC team and they showed willingness to play big last year.  If Hardnett continues to develop his jump shot I think there's a path for him to get minutes at the 3, and we have to see what Mading can bring in year one, but he could potentially get some looks there.

This is an exciting group, barttorvik.com's RosterCast has us at 64 (leaving Zachery in as a JUCO PG stand-in because Curtis Jones is not in the system):

image.png.c0e17652805c4ddf169dd801a4dda104.png

I could see a wide range of outcomes, but maybe we're on the bubble if things break right.  Saint Louis in Cancun is a winnable game that would look nice on the resume, Bonaventure and Ohio should both be good resume games too.

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Zachery leaving and Blocker committing clarified a lot in terms of the depth chart, clearing up PG minutes and giving us more wing depth, as well as if the staff was looking to use the extra COVID scholarships.  We're sitting at the usual 13 now, and I would imagine we're probably at a final roster, barring some surprise late developments.

Seeing how the rotation pans out from the 3-5 will still be interesting as the staff seems to put an emphasis on developing perimeter skills for the big men.  We are huge for a MAC team and they showed willingness to play big last year.  If Hardnett continues to develop his jump shot I think there's a path for him to get minutes at the 3, and we have to see what Mading can bring in year one, but he could potentially get some looks there.

This is an exciting group, barttorvik.com's RosterCast has us at 64 (leaving Zachery in as a JUCO PG stand-in because Curtis Jones is not in the system):

I could see a wide range of outcomes, but maybe we're on the bubble if things break right.  Saint Louis in Cancun is a winnable game that would look nice on the resume, Bonaventure and Ohio should both be good resume games too.

Thank you for this.  A good balance of returning talent and future potential on this roster.  One thing, I think that Maceo Jack counts against 13 scholarships as I believe only players that stay with their 2020-21 team do not count against scholarships, transfers do count.  So believe currently 2 open scholarships.

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

This ub team should be very good, I think 64 preseaon from barttorvik is fair

The team last year had very little depth and had our starters dead tired by the mac championship game. Looking at the roster for the coming season that shouldn't be an issue again

35 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

One thing, I think that Maceo Jack counts against 13 scholarships as I believe only players that stay with their 2020-21 team do not count against scholarships, transfers do count.  So believe currently 2 open scholarships.

He transferred mid-year and enrolled for the spring semester so I would imagine that qualifies him as staying with UB this year, although it's a weird case and I admittedly do not know that for fact.  Either way I don't imagine we go over the 13 scholarships.  Coaches already say it's hard to keep 13 players happy with playing time, etc.

40 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

He transferred mid-year and enrolled for the spring semester so I would imagine that qualifies him as staying with UB this year, although it's a weird case and I admittedly do not know that for fact.  Either way I don't imagine we go over the 13 scholarships.  Coaches already say it's hard to keep 13 players happy with playing time, etc.

I had not considered the timing of transfer, but agree whether it's 2 or three is moot as they are probably not going to be able to offer much playing time to any additional  players.

48 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Next year has the potential to be a huge class (7 new players).  The fans who were worried about this year’s class may not survive.  lol

2 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

It is curious at this point that Skogman is not even expected to be top 10 contributor but they have Bertram at nearly 15 minutes a game.  My hope is that Skogman progresses more this coming season and is more of a contributor.

12 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

It is curious at this point that Skogman is not even expected to be top 10 contributor but they have Bertram at nearly 15 minutes a game.  My hope is that Skogman progresses more this coming season and is more of a contributor.

Yeah that's a limitation of a tool like that, it sees Bertram played 40% of minutes last year and it assumes he will see a similar amount of playing time.  What Bertram's good at is shot-blocking and being a strong drop coverage ball screen defender, but he obviously has a lower ceiling offensively (and age-wise) than Skogman.  I think Skogman taking a jump in those areas is one of the keys to the team reaching its ceiling.

Similarly, I think Mading could provide more playmaking and shot-blocking upside in a role similar to what Fagan played last year, but we will have to see how he acclimates to a step up in physicality.  Fagan and Bertram are good safety blankets to have knowing that they can hold their own in the MAC, but them losing minutes because of one of the unknowns stepping up is what unlocks an outcome ending in an NCAA tournament berth in my opinion.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I am hoping Skogman takes a big step forward this year. As it will be his 3rd year in the program. Lots of bigs on this roster. Will be interesting to see who steps up. I will temper expectations of the freshmen (Williamson, Mading and Blocker) but def expect more from Skogman. 

Just now, Gxtrex said:

I only know of MBalla looking at the NBA.  Any updates on him?

Probably will come back, if he comes back and has a dominant season I can see him going in the second round. Btw he’s got a great relationship with Segu and Williams, if Segu withdrew I see him following suit 

• Thanks 1