Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2021-2022 Roster

31 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Probably will come back, if he comes back and has a dominant season I can see him going in the second round. Btw he’s got a great relationship with Segu and Williams, if Segu withdrew I see him following suit 

Yeah he's not going to be drafted, but the sleeper concern here with European kids is getting offered a decent chunk of change to play professionally at home. Filip Petrusev and Omer Yurtseven being a couple of the big names from last year off the top of my head. I think he probably returns but I don't think NBA prospects are the real threat here.

As for next year, maybe he has a shot but he's going to have to come in and really knock down jump shots.  I think mechanically there's nothing majorly broken but at 6'7" he's going to have to be a wing in the NBA. The guy in this class that he reminds me of is Kessler Edwards at Pepperdine who I think will go in the 2nd round. They're similar profiles in age, size, college level of competition, and on-ball defensive acumen, but Edwards shot 49.1/37.8/87.6 and Mballa shot 48.6/25.0/67.9.  Mballa will have to make a huge jump there to have a chance to be drafted

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Responding here, as probably more appropriate under this heading, to DaBulll99 who said: Honestly I don’t see the freshmen getting much PT at all and maybe even redshirts. 

I agree with this.  Barttorvik.com only has  Mading as a top 10  contributor at 4PPG/12 MPG .   Hopefully they all get roughly 10 minutes per game like Williams and Segu did in their FR season. so they build experience and feel more a part of team.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Responding here, as probably more appropriate under this heading, to DaBulll99 who said: Honestly I don’t see the freshmen getting much PT at all and maybe even redshirts. 

I agree with this.  Barttorvik.com only has  Mading as a top 10  contributor at 4PPG/12 MPG .   Hopefully they all get roughly 10 minutes per game like Williams and Segu did in their FR season. so they build experience and feel more a part of team.  

I think Blocker could get some time, maybe like Gallion did. We only have one other true SG in Jack. His athleticism and mid range game is incredible. Say perry or jack are underperforming, blocker could get a shot at more playing time

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

I think Blocker could get some time, maybe like Gallion did. We only have one other true SG in Jack. His athleticism and mid range game is incredible. Say perry or jack are underperforming, blocker could get a shot at more playing time

I would love for Blocker to contribute this year.  Skogman, Jones, Blocker, Mading and Williamson are the future of this team.  It would be great to see a Perkins/ Massinburg or better caliber, come from this FR class.  Time will tell.

• Like 3

The NIL is the next chip in recruiting. Whatever schools can offer a player the best chance to make money and market themselves, they will have a leg up in recruiting. For the Dukes of the world it’s no biggie. But for us, could mean the difference in recruiting battles. Some schools have dedicated departments for NIL. Other schools are teaching courses. 

12 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Williams told Rothstein he's coming back, Just waiting on Mballa

Got to imagine he returns but he was always the one who I thought had the highest likelihood of leaving

Ub the other day posted some pictures from their yearly re treat to ellicotville and I thought I saw mballa, which would be a positive sign 

8 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Got to imagine he returns but he was always the one who I thought had the highest likelihood of leaving

Ub the other day posted some pictures from their yearly re treat to ellicotville and I thought I saw mballa, which would be a positive sign 

He is close with Segu (and I believe Williams) so unless he's got hints at getting drafted I think he returns for a final year to sharpen his game and have a shot at quite the professional career.

3 hours ago, Jeseph said:

Means we are positioning to be attractive to the recruits and maybe give us a leg up when NCAA free agency starts. Non academic incentives as the courts call it. It’s like when Nike tricked out the Oregon locker rooms to make it attractive to recruits and give each a game system in their locker.

I was hoping to get some thoughts about incoming freshman class (I realize this may be an opening to debate JW recruiting - but not my goal).  Here is a summary I put together - which in my mind points toward a solid freshman class:

image.thumb.png.10e78354e87b8d0424c3e4451c5d20ca.png

At this point only Mading is projected to be a top 10 contributor by BT - which suggests that we have a deep team (and also BT can't see the future).  As I said before, it would be nice if this class produces something close to the following two duos from first and last year of Oats' tenure.

image.png.905d87e86580813af6e80d8e9090c0c6.png

Note the numbers in red are current BT estimates - It is likely difficult to improve production much over last year - but I am taking the over on all three!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...