Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Kuluel Mading

trueblue32

16 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Watching that clip, it seems like we can sell the Mballa role to him after understudying next year. Different body type, but similar enough game.

He seems like he would be an ideal redshirt candidate next season. Bc we have a lot of bigs ahead of him. Mballa, Hardnett and Skogman (who we all hope plays a bigger role next season). Potentially Fagan can return. Log jam ahead of him. Wonder if he would sign knowing he might be redshirted.

Edited by DooleyBull06
Typo

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Erie County said:

Would be a good addition, lots of talent already at the 3-5 positions. They've seemed to be able to do ok at forward. 

I have no idea why they can't get PG/SG right though.

Look like they might go juco route on a guard, so we don’t hear all that much

1 hour ago, Erie County said:

Would be a good addition, lots of talent already at the 3-5 positions. They've seemed to be able to do ok at forward. 

I have no idea why they can't get PG/SG right though.

Wouldn’t shock me if he redshirts next season if he signs here. Lots of bigs ahead of him and he looks raw, which isn’t a bad thing.

23 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Wouldn’t shock me if he redshirts next season if he signs here. Lots of bigs ahead of him and he looks raw, which isn’t a bad thing.

And he would benefit greatly from practicing with those guys daily. His development would certainly be accelerated.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I dont know if he would red shirt, he is a 3 star recruit. The one highlight video I saw I think he could contribute right away as a stretch 4 and even 5 with the expectation he would need help with bigger players defensively

I also don't know if the log jam ahead would be that crazy, think williams will be a 2 or 3 this season and hardnett will play more 3 rather than the 4 and 5 he has been

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I dont know if he would red shirt, he is a 3 star recruit. The one highlight video I saw I think he could contribute right away as a stretch 4 and even 5 with the expectation he would need help with bigger players defensively

I also don't know if the log jam ahead would be that crazy, think williams will be a 2 or 3 this season and hardnett will play more 3 rather than the 4 and 5 he has been

You are forgetting Skogman and Williamson. Lots of bigs. Now I’m not saying redshirt him right away. Let’s see who earns what ever role. But Skogman has already redshirted and Williamson is also a 3 star recruit. Williams is a 3. Not a 2. Hardnett is a 4 who at times can stretch the floor. But he is best working down low and stepping out for the occasional 3. Like last season. Mballa needs to stay down low and do what he does, eat. 

Based on the video of Mading, he’s a 5. At best a stretch 5. A defensive rim protector who dominated the high school level bc of his height and length. I’m not criticizing I’m just saying wouldn’t shock me if he was a redshirt. And for next season with all the bodies ahead of him why waste a year of eligibility on the bench when he can redshirt. I would love to get him. We haven’t had a rim protector since Watt. Mading has defensive player of the year written all over him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

You are forgetting Skogman and Williamson. Lots of bigs. Now I’m not saying redshirt him right away. Let’s see who earns what ever role. But Skogman has already redshirted and Williamson is also a 3 star recruit. Williams is a 3. Not a 2. Hardnett is a 4 who at times can stretch the floor. But he is best working down low and stepping out for the occasional 3. Like last season. Mballa needs to stay down low and do what he does, eat. 

Based on the video of Mading, he’s a 5. At best a stretch 5. A defensive rim protector who dominated the high school level bc of his height and length. I’m not criticizing I’m just saying wouldn’t shock me if he was a redshirt. And for next season with all the bodies ahead of him why waste a year of eligibility on the bench when he can redshirt. I would love to get him. We haven’t had a rim protector since Watt. Mading has defensive player of the year written all over him.

I was more or less commenting on position flexibility. Not saying williams is a 2. He is a text book 3. Was commenting on where he will fill in more this coming season compared to past ones where we would see him play a lot of 4 and even the 5 a couple seasons ago. Same with hardnett where he will be more 3/4 rather than 4/5

As for a log jam I guess I would rather have more bigs that are considered undersized physically and just tell them to not be afraid to foul 

I wouldn't be shocked if he red shirted either but do think he could contribute right away and with this transfer season let the kids play 

This is great. Just watched all his highlights on YouTube. He's definitely a college stretch 4, with closer handles and touch to a 3 than a 5. Only things 5 about him are length and shot blocking instincts. It's a unique package at the MAC level. Skogman, Zaakir, and Mading is a very fun frontline to daydream on.

Seems like a really bright, genuine kid from this clip. Buffalo has an established Sudanese community too, hopefully they can get put in touch.

• Like 1

I like it a lot. I don’t know how long he’ll extend his shooting range in college but he looks like the type of 5 that can fit well in a fast offense. He reminds me a bit of Toledo’s AJ Edu who’s college career has been derailed a bit by injuries but should be great for them going forward. 

The prep school circuit in Carolina is no joke either. I’d hope he’d be ready to contribute sooner rather than later. 

Edited by BasketBull

16 hours ago, BasketBull said:

I like it a lot. I don’t know how long he’ll extend his shooting range in college but he looks like the type of 5 that can fit well in a fast offense. He reminds me a bit of Toledo’s AJ Edu who’s college career has been derailed a bit by injuries but should be great for them going forward. 

The prep school circuit in Carolina is no joke either. I’d hope he’d be ready to contribute sooner rather than later. 

His video shows him shooting some threes, has a pretty clean shot. Not the level of shooter as Skogman but still nice for an almost 7 footer