Jump to content
Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Interest List - 2021, 2022, and 2023


Kevin
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We're all excited for this season, but signing day yesterday has been looking forward as well. 173 of 200 minutes (81.5%) of minutes vs Michigan were handled by seniors. Segu, Mballa, Williams, Bertram, Fagan, Brewton, Jack, Bivens and maybe Perry will/may all be moving on after the season. Crazy to think that Rondo and Nate are seniors already, but Covid has warped time a bit for me. Next year and beyond, Hardnett will fit into this when healthy, as will Skogman and the freshman class (which I really like). Still, we have massive minutes and opportunity to offer guys in 2022 with only Devin Ceaser committed.

 

PG is probably set but unproven with Curtis Jones and incoming Ceaser. Very early, but I liked Jones vs Medaille and can see him as a fine starter next year with a tightened up handle at 6'5. A veteran combo guard transfer who can run some point would be ideal.

We need scoring guard help badly (we need it this year too unfortunately imo). Blocker is a nice piece with high potential. Targets Prather (announcing this weekend) and Rigsby would address this need, as would a transfer combo guard. Adding a dead-eye shooter who is passable on D has been a need for a couple seasons now.

While Kuluel seems like a nice fit to roll into some of Jeenathan's minutes next year, I'm hoping we can attract another top-150 guy (like Nate and Kuluel) by showing them Jeenathan's film and 4-year development. This could also be a (local?) high-major transfer who gets stuck in a roster squeeze and wants to step into a leading role at a strong mid-major.

A developmental big man to slot in behind Skogman, Hardnett, and Zaakir is a must as well. Keep the pipeline going, redshirt even. Could also see an experienced backup transfer here.

 

I'm not trying to restart the recruiting debates of the past year or imply that we're behind schedule, just trying to start the conversation re: what will be a crucial class in maintaining our program's momentum after hopefully another big year. We'll need 7-9 new guys and a number of contributors in that group. Hoping folks have some intel or ideas about potential targets/JUCOs/Canadians?/local guys who might want to transfer home. Go Bulls!

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

We're all excited for this season, but signing day yesterday has been looking forward as well. 173 of 200 minutes (81.5%) of minutes vs Michigan were handled by seniors. Segu, Mballa, Williams, Bertram, Fagan, Brewton, Jack, Bivens and maybe Perry will/may all be moving on after the season. Crazy to think that Rondo and Nate are seniors already, but Covid has warped time a bit for me. Next year and beyond, Hardnett will fit into this when healthy, as will Skogman and the freshman class (which I really like). Still, we have massive minutes and opportunity to offer guys in 2022 with only Devin Ceaser committed.

 

PG is probably set but unproven with Curtis Jones and incoming Ceaser. Very early, but I liked Jones vs Medaille and can see him as a fine starter next year with a tightened up handle at 6'5. A veteran combo guard transfer who can run some point would be ideal.

We need scoring guard help badly (we need it this year too unfortunately imo). Blocker is a nice piece with high potential. Targets Prather (announcing this weekend) and Rigsby would address this need, as would a transfer combo guard. Adding a dead-eye shooter who is passable on D has been a need for a couple seasons now.

While Kuluel seems like a nice fit to roll into some of Jeenathan's minutes next year, I'm hoping we can attract another top-150 guy (like Nate and Kuluel) by showing them Jeenathan's film and 4-year development. This could also be a (local?) high-major transfer who gets stuck in a roster squeeze and wants to step into a leading role at a strong mid-major.

A developmental big man to slot in behind Skogman, Hardnett, and Zaakir is a must as well. Keep the pipeline going, redshirt even. Could also see an experienced backup transfer here.

 

I'm not trying to restart the recruiting debates of the past year or imply that we're behind schedule, just trying to start the conversation re: what will be a crucial class in maintaining our program's momentum after hopefully another big year. We'll need 7-9 new guys and a number of contributors in that group. Hoping folks have some intel or ideas about potential targets/JUCOs/Canadians?/local guys who might want to transfer home. Go Bulls!

 

Haven't heard much about Tice, latest activity for him was an offer from Quinnipiac.  I wonder how that offer stands?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Updated offer list:

Yazid Powell 6’4 175 JuCo Soph PG
13.5 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 5.4 apg, 51/32/65%
Other offers: FGCU, Marist, Pacific, Wichita St, Sam Houston St, Canisius, IUPUI, Drexel, Northern Illinois

Jacob Tracey 6’4 200 JuCo Soph SG
8.2 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 3.6 apg, 48/31/60%
Other offers: Akron, Illinois St, Fresno St, East Carolina, Bryant, Nevada

Brian Moore 6’3 170 JuCo Fr PG
18.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2.8 apg, 59/37/76%
Other offers: Cleveland St, Stony Brook, Tulsa, Texas St, FGCU, Stetson, Illinois St, Southern Illinois, Bowling Green, Iona, Wichita St, DePaul, Towson, Jacksonville St, Mercer, Stephen F Austin, Marist, SIUE, Kent State, NC A&T, New Orlenas, UMBC, Robert Morris, UIC, St. Bona

Bryant Selebangue 6’9 215 JuCo Fr PF
12.8 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 70/61%
Other offers: CSU Bakersfield, North Texas, Bryant, Bradley, Northern Illinois

Jalen Bradberry 6’3 160 HS Sr PG
Other offers: Hofstra, St. John's, UMass, Youngstown St, Siena, Bryant, Stony Brook

Zaiden Cross 6’7 HS Sr SG
Other offers: Florida

Amarri Trice 6’7 215 HS Sr SF
Other offers: Drexel, East Carolina, Fairfield, Iona, Siena, UMBC, UMass, UNCW, Albany

Jalen Carruth 6’8 180 HS Jr SF
Other offers: Troy, Coppin St, Grambling St, High Point, Bethune-Cookman, Tulsa, Kennesaw St, NC A&T, IUPUI, Clemson, Xavier

William Lobor 6’7 HS Jr SF
Other offers: Maine, Murray St, Tennessee St, Missouri St

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for transcribing this from verbalcommits.com. Does anyone know if the offers to Tracey, Bradberry, Tice, and Lobor are current and active? A couple are almost two years old now. This goes back to the old gripes from some of us - little recruiting activity, no one actually covering the program with insights beyond a fan's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Thanks for transcribing this from verbalcommits.com. Does anyone know if the offers to Tracey, Bradberry, Tice, and Lobor are current and active? A couple are almost two years old now. This goes back to the old gripes from some of us - little recruiting activity, no one actually covering the program with insights beyond a fan's.

We gladly give whatever info UB athletics is willing to share

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was actually wondering what happened with Bradberry.  Haven't heard anything about him in awhile, looks like 247 has no movement on him (no offers etc) in 18 months.  Wonder if UB's offer is still out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/30/2022 at 4:45 PM, MuchMany said:

Thanks for transcribing this from verbalcommits.com. Does anyone know if the offers to Tracey, Bradberry, Tice, and Lobor are current and active? A couple are almost two years old now. This goes back to the old gripes from some of us - little recruiting activity, no one actually covering the program with insights beyond a fan's.

If at any point you wanna change that and start covering the program more in depth beyond a fan, by all means.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

If at any point you wanna change that and start covering the program more in depth beyond a fan, by all means.

Be the change. How very Gandhi of you.

Sorry for lamenting that one of the past decade's most successful mid-major basketball programs in a top-75 metro area has basically zero media coverage. It's 2022 and we're told to wait until guys sign letters of intent to learn anything about recruiting. I don't think it's too much to ask of anyone who covers the team to get an interview with Foley or Quarles and say, "hey, what's the plan to fill the (unprecedented) eight open scholarships for next year?" It might help relieve some of the anxiety we have about the roster, which would be good for the staff's image in addition to our fan mental health. Unless Whitesell has his staff on McDermott levels of unnecessary opsec...

PS thanks to all the posters including @DooleyBull06 @Jeseph @ub2019 @trueblue32 for always combing Twitter for relevant news. It's greatly appreciated.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Be the change. How very Gandhi of you.

Sorry for lamenting that one of the past decade's most successful mid-major basketball programs in a top-75 metro area has basically zero media coverage. It's 2022 and we're told to wait until guys sign letters of intent to learn anything about recruiting. I don't think it's too much to ask of anyone who covers the team to get an interview with Foley or Quarles and say, "hey, what's the plan to fill the (unprecedented) eight open scholarships for next year?" It might help relieve some of the anxiety we have about the roster, which would be good for the staff's image in addition to our fan mental health. Unless Whitesell has his staff on McDermott levels of unnecessary opsec...

PS thanks to all the posters including @DooleyBull06 @Jeseph @ub2019 @trueblue32 for always combing Twitter for relevant news. It's greatly appreciated.

They cannot say anything about anyone to whom they have made an offer and/or interested in.  That is an NCAA violation.  Which is why there are no comments until the letter of intent is signed other a retweet, which was only allowed about five years ago.

The answer to the question posed is that we are out recruiting and looking to bring the best players we can to UB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

They cannot say anything about anyone to whom they have made an offer and/or interested in.  That is an NCAA violation.  Which is why there are no comments until the letter of intent is signed other a retweet, which was only allowed about five years ago.

The answer to the question posed is that we are out recruiting and looking to bring the best players we can to UB.

I'm well aware that coaches aren't allowed to speak about players who aren't committed and signed. With all due respect to you and the rules, as always, there is a massive industry in evaluating, discussing, and speculating on CBB recruiting and none of it relies on coaches commenting improperly. My curiosity lies in why UB is not included in this conversation. 

While I'm sure your reassurance that "we are out recruiting and looking to bring the best players we can to UB" was offered with sincerity and I do not doubt it, we have 2/3rds of our scholarships available and one recruit on-board. It is a bit unusual to not know more about next season's roster on April 1st. Our page on VerbalCommits.com is the most bare I have seen in any conference. 

Some fans are the type to show up at Alumni in the fall, look at the program, and see who's on the team for the year - and that's fine for them. Plenty of others, myself included, would prefer to go a bit deeper in their fandom, including recruiting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Some fans are the type to show up at Alumni in the fall, look at the program, and see who's on the team for the year - and that's fine for them. Plenty of others, myself included, would prefer to go a bit deeper in their fandom, including recruiting.

If you are looking for more information on recruiting and looking for it sites like Verbal Commits, the problem is that the students do not want to talk with sites like that.  The problem is not with anyone on staff.

I am one of the the fans who will see the schedule and see what games I can get to see and whomever is dressed is who I will root for that year.  I guess this because there is nothing that I can do to get some one to go to UB.

I live my life under the philosophy of John Milton Rivers who said there is no need to worry about things that you can control because you can control those things.  For the things you can cannot control, why worry because there is nothing you can do to control the outcome.  You may know Mr. Rivers by his playing name, Mickey Rivers who played for the Yankees among other teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...