Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jalen cone

Bill

This is the most bizarre transfer I've ever seen. If he didn't want to play for a P5, fine. I get it. You want to be the big fish in a small pond. But why choose the 319th ranked low-major on the other side of the country that hasn't been to the tournament in over 20 years? How in the world did they even get on his radar?? And why choose them over Buffalo where he could also be a big fish in a small pond, be the star future PG, and actually have a shot at getting to the NCAA tournament every year. Not to mention, attend school with his brother! Apparently that didn't play into the decision.

If more details don't come out on this one I'm just going to chalk it up as a massive recruiting failure on our part. It's almost like our pitch was, "come to Buffalo. You won't be a star and we may not play you your first year, but your brother is on the football team".

He chose a school that hasn’t made an appearance in the tournament in 20 years. It really boggles my mind on the thought process these players have when they are offered schools who are a lot better, and instead choose a school that is horrid. I’m not down about not getting him, but to miss out on a recruit to a bad school is demoralizing. Brutal.

1 minute ago, ub2019 said:

Seems like he wanted to go somewhere that he would be the star and run the show. Wouldn’t happen for him here until next year 

Seems like a long way to go from ranked around 300 to making noise in NCAA tournament, we shall see.

8 minutes ago, ub2019 said:

Seems like he wanted to go somewhere that he would be the star and run the show. Wouldn’t happen for him here until next year 

Might be a blessing in disguise. He sounds like he wants to a guy who scores 25 and no one else gets involved. He would’ve had playing time here next season. Could’ve forced his way into the starting lineup, although I don’t think he would’ve started over Segu. I think he would’ve been the 6th man. Maybe we dodged one with him appearing to be a ball hog.

Sounds like he knew what he wanted, targeted a team that would give it to him and went there

I really respect that, no long drawn out recruitment 

Plus I believe NAU is starting to throw more money into their facilities

Very transparent player, hope he succeeds

• Like 1

All the best to him. Plenty of good reasons to select every team on his list. Who am I to say it’s a recruiting blunder? Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t, but the young man picked the best option for him. Plus we still don’t know the status of Malik Zachary who is a PG. I think there is at least a reasonable chance he is on our team next year. He came to our program with some decent offers after a year at JUCO, so there should be some expectations for him. 

Edited by Chet

30 minutes ago, Chet said:

Plus we still don’t know the status of Malik Zachary who is a PG. I think there is at least a reasonable chance he is on our team next year. He came to our program with some decent offers after a year at JUCO, so there should be some expectations for him. 

Jail? Too soon? Just jokes y’all.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

Sounds like he knew what he wanted, targeted a team that would give it to him and went there

I really respect that, no long drawn out recruitment 

Plus I believe NAU is starting to throw more money into their facilities

Very transparent player, hope he succeeds

Exactly - none of us know what's going on these guys' heads.  Maybe he liked the location, the academic programs, the coaches/teammates, the opportunity to star day 1, etc.  Best of luck to him.  Hope UB has some other options in the pipeline that they're working on right now.

7 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

For his sake, I certainly hope not. But the last update on the court proceedings did not read as an article about a soon to be active player...

Can’t disagree, but since he is still on the roster, I’d have to imagine there is a reasonable chance that he will continue to be. Not to mention who on this board has all of the facts of what happened? If there is no trial, we may never know. There could be significant reasons he stays on the team or not. It may be true that I do not understand the process on how a student athlete can be dismissed from the team and his scholarship with cause. I imagine that he has already completed the student judiciary process. 

28 minutes ago, Ubbulls84 said:

His brother plays for football team and still didn’t want to come. Big fail here considering where he chose to go. Looks like we’re gonna fade with no real high level recruits coming in and our top players leaving after this next year.

I know time is getting shorter and I am disappointed with this outcome, but I still prefer to wait and see what commits they do get.  There are still 268 available PG in the portal, 51 which have 3 star or better, with more than half that were underclassmen this past year. 

6 hours ago, ub2019 said:

Definitely bummed to miss out on him, especially since I imagine we had a legitimate shot if NAU got him. But I do like this line from the article..."Cone considered the usual Power 5 schools like Oklahoma State, Indiana, Penn State, Nebraska, Buffalo and Iowa State, but ultimately, the lure of having an “Abmas-like” run next March was too tantalizing for Cone. On Tuesday he opted for the mid-major route, committing to Northern Arizona." 😎😅

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 5:07 PM, UBlearns said:

Exactly - none of us know what's going on these guys' heads.  Maybe he liked the location, the academic programs, the coaches/teammates, the opportunity to star day 1, etc.  Best of luck to him.  Hope UB has some other options in the pipeline that they're working on right now.

As someone who applied there back in the day, can confirm Flagstaff is beautiful.

• 2 years later...