Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB Head Coaching Search

Jeseph

I strongly suspect it will be Ianello for a few reasons:

• This is Alnutt...I have low expectations.
  • Ianello has head coaching experience in the MAC
  • He has been with the team for 5 years...he is an associate head coach.  Since he is also the recruiting coordinator as well, keeping the recruits by moving the recruiting coordinator to the head coach is probably helpful (since he likely has a relationship with the recruits).
  • Umm...it is April 30th.   Who are we going to get?

I am sad that LL made this decision.  I strongly suspect he will be a former coach of Kansas in a few years...and not for the good reason.

• Like 4

I'll continue my daydreams of the last 10 years of Jim Haslett, Dave Clawson, or Sean Kugler. All guys with local ties and lots of experience, but not realistic. We have seen certain MAC schools take former FBS head coaches in Solich and McElwain, but it is far from the norm. My first bet is also Ianello. 

Maybe we can steal Sean Lewis from the Flushes 🤪

16 minutes ago, UB92 said:

I strongly suspect it will be Ianello for a few reasons:

• This is Alnutt...I have low expectations.
  • Ianello has head coaching experience in the MAC
  • He has been with the team for 5 years...he is an associate head coach.  Since he is also the recruiting coordinator as well, keeping the recruits by moving the recruiting coordinator to the head coach is probably helpful (since he likely has a relationship with the recruits).
  • Umm...it is April 30th.   Who are we going to get?

I am sad that LL made this decision.  I strongly suspect he will be a former coach of Kansas in a few years...and not for the good reason.

This is a team that ended last season ranked #25, so it isn't an undesirable job and the last two coaches we got (Quinn and Leipold) had pretty strong resumes. I know the timing isn't ideal, but we shouldn't just give up on a good search. Would love to see them bring in Emmett Jones, the now former interim coach at Kansas. Fan base loved him and was only making $225,000. 

I really hope it isn't Ianello. I'd be willing to give one of the other assistants a chance, but not a huge fan of hiring a guy who has failed as a HC in the same conference.

Whoever it is, it will underwhelming as it is Alnutt making the choice.  What a wet blanket that guy is.  When you hire a young up and coming AD like that, you expect them to be ambitious and want to leave their mark on the school and improve their resume with program growth. That's what we got from Warde Manuel and Danny White and look what it did for them.  AD of MICHIGAN and UCF respectively.  But Alnut runs the department like a 70 year old washed up AD who's just happy to not rock the boat and stay out of the nursing home as long as possible.  What a massive disappointment he is.  

Edited by UBigbobby
  • Like 2

My 2 cents on the future (probably all that it's worth)...

Go big or go home. Use the buyout $ to get someone hungry. Even if it's for 3 years and they move on. The $ built on a football only fieldhouse and all of the other recent frills, needs to be parlayed into something high profile. While our infrastructure isn't SEC level, it's pretty good within our league and other comparable leagues. Make UBs hire stand out.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

My 2 cents on the future (probably all that it's worth)...

Go big or go home. Use the buyout $ to get someone hungry. Even if it's for 3 years and they move on. The $ built on a football only fieldhouse and all of the other recent frills, needs to be parlayed into something high profile. While our infrastructure isn't SEC level, it's pretty good within our league and other comparable leagues. Make UBs hire stand out.

What is the buyout money for Lance moving on?

UB has shown it can be a landing spot where a coach can win and raise their profile. We need to capitalize on that and keep this momentum going. Lance leaving was not a shock. It has been long rumored therefore this shouldn’t come as a surprise to Alnutt. He should already have a hot list of guys he may want to target. Otherwise he isn’t doing his job. This was not a shock. Will be interesting to see what directions we go in. We will see what the fallout is with players leaving. It’s very late in the game...at this point the objective should be get the best possible coach with a vision. Not have a knee jerk reaction and bring in or retain someone who can keep recruits. Unless that coach is the best. But already we all seem split on that.

• Like 1

Lance already had one foot out the door.  We barely heard from him since the Bowl.  Not even during the pro day. So long LL.

I think Alnutt can find a pretty solid candidate here.  Someone who is super hungry and ready for an opportunity at FBS football.  As other mentioned, with the facility upgrades and good players/recruits in house,  this is a really solid opening at an odd time.  I think we can get somebody good.

• Like 2

Ianello is the easy choice, but to be honest I’m getting a little tired of Alnutt just making easy choices, he’s paid to do better than that. The athletics department has to weigh continuity vs potential. I know it’s not fair to the current football staff but I feel like Whitesell burned the one freebie easy hire for us. Doing it again is just saying we’re fine with the status quo. Hopefully not a lot of players jump ship this late in the game. I say go after a big hire, and do it quickly. Ask the players to wait and hear out the new coach, allow him to make their pitch. Also for the record I was fine with the Whitesell hire and am still one of his biggest supporters around here, but I just don’t want a revolving door of promoting from within to become our MO. 

33 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

UB has shown it can be a landing spot where a coach can win and raise their profile. We need to capitalize on that and keep this momentum going. Lance leaving was not a shock. It has been long rumored therefore this shouldn’t come as a surprise to Alnutt. He should already have a hot list of guys he may want to target. Otherwise he isn’t doing his job. This was not a shock. Will be interesting to see what directions we go in. We will see what the fallout is with players leaving. It’s very late in the game...at this point the objective should be get the best possible coach with a vision. Not have a knee jerk reaction and bring in or retain someone who can keep recruits. Unless that coach is the best. But already we all seem split on that.

Serious question - is this a cut/paste from when Oats left, replacing "Oats" with "Lance"?  Because it could be.

20 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Anyone know how much Kansas is paying him? At some point in the future we are gonna need to pay coaches better and have higher buyouts. 600k isn’t a lot. 

If the buyout is only 600k, then we are morons with how we give contracts. Nate signed a 4 million dollar contract weeks before leaving and his buyout was 750k. When he signed with bama, it was 12 mil deal with an 8mil buyout (in year 1, prorated downward after each year). Our buyout was < 20% versus Alabama 67%, seems unequal.  Lance had about 2.5 mil left on his contract, so we get a whopping 1/4 of it in year two of a 5 year contract. 

Edited by skrabukes
  • Like 1

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

Lol. It could be.Very similar situations. But the sentiment remains...coaches can win and raise their profiles at UB. 

You know why they can win and raise their profiles at UB more often then any other MAC school?? Because we are a P5 program stuck in the MAC. Simple as that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

You know why they can win and raise their profiles at UB more often then any other MAC school?? Because we are a P5 program stuck in the MAC. Simple as that. 

Are we? As much as I'd like to believe that, I'm curious as to what makes us a "P5 stuck in the MAC"? 

Is it our 10k football attendance (and 1k in the November weeknight frigid games)?

Is it our guaranteed championship winning ways in every sport?

Is it that our facilities are comparable/better to/than P5 schools?

I'd love to believe that, and want to witness it, but what makes that a true statement? UB has done better than others in the MAC overall, but the investment has certainly increased big time in recent years, so I would hope performance would mirror the investment. 

Actually spoke with someone who is a large supporter today and they thought it was "great", "good for lance". If that's the case that we should just sit back, pay our $$ in donations and spend time at games, for someone to get a winning lottery ticket while we get left in the lurch (already players are leaving), then  I guess i am just the fool for always having been loyal, whether it is to UB or my job (and those who I work with/for) for the last 25 years. LL isn't the first to leave for something "better" and he surely won't be the last. The way he did it screams of absolute selfishness and belief that he would never get a better option (and honestly,  the latter may be correct, in which case, good for him, enjoy your winning lottery ticket).

Back to the thread at hand, if the buyout is only 600k, that's not much to invest in a "big" hire, so whatever we get is what we get.

This 11th hour move must've been Lance's gift for the end of "UB Giving Day".

Just frustrated by this, big time.  Rant over.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UBigbobby said:

Whoever it is, it will underwhelming as it is Alnutt making the choice.  What a wet blanket that guy is.  When you hire a young up and coming AD like that, you expect them to be ambitious and want to leave their mark on the school and improve their resume with program growth. That's what we got from Warde Manuel and Danny White and look what it did for them.  AD of MICHIGAN and UCF respectively.  But Alnut runs the department like a 70 year old washed up AD who's just happy to not rock the boat and stay out of the nursing home as long as possible.  What a massive disappointment he is.  

News flash: Danny White is not at UCF.  He left for Tennessee.

Football Scoop on possibilities for UB:  https://footballscoop.com/news/lance-leipold-has-left-for-kansas-where-does-buffalo-go-next/

From discussions with other people outside of UB, but with ties to the program, Polian is not the only person who has interest in returning to coach at UB.  There is at least one Power 5 assistant who also has interest.

There will not be a lack of interest from outside the program if that is where Alnutt is looking.

• Like 1