Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2021 Draft

5 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Well into the 6th round.  12 running  backs off of the board at this point.  Anyone else think that JP should have stayed for his senior year.

I was thinking that, but then again, what else could he have done? He is breaking NCAA records.

I'm guessing teams are staying away because of his physical attributes or possibly his lack of receiving production. If it is the first one, then another year isn't going to change that. If it lack of receiving, at the time he declared, Lance was still the coach and it would be unlikely that he was going to receive more on that end. 

I think his only options were to declare for the draft or transfer to a P5 school and prove he can do it at that level.

1 hour ago, SGBull said:

I was thinking that, but then again, what else could he have done? He is breaking NCAA records.

I'm guessing teams are staying away because of his physical attributes or possibly his lack of receiving production. If it is the first one, then another year isn't going to change that. If it lack of receiving, at the time he declared, Lance was still the coach and it would be unlikely that he was going to receive more on that end. 

I think his only options were to declare for the draft or transfer to a P5 school and prove he can do it at that level.

I think another big season, with a big game or 2 against Nebraska and Coastal, could have made a difference.  I think a lot of people weren't thinking of all of the players that had big seasons in 2018 and 2019, but sat out 2020.  They took up a lot of the later rounds.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SGBull said:

If it lack of receiving, at the time he declared, Lance was still the coach and it would be unlikely that he was going to receive more on that end. 

It has to be his lack of receptions. Backs his size are generally thought of as change of pace or scat backs. So while yes his stature is a turn off to gms, bc they feel he can’t be an every down back, his lack of receptions has to be what has prevented him from being drafted as that third down guy. Def think he will be scooped up as a UDFA as mentioned.

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

It has to be his lack of receptions. Backs his size are generally thought of as change of pace or scat backs. So while yes his stature is a turn off to gms, bc they feel he can’t be an every down back, his lack of receptions has to be what has prevented him from being drafted as that third down guy. Def think he will be scooped up as a UDFA as mentioned.

I agree that he'll be scooped up.  Can't imagine that's what he had in mind when he declared early.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

I agree that he'll be scooped up.  Can't imagine that's what he had in mind when he declared early.

For sure. It’s gotta sting not being drafted. And you know espn was ready with the highlight package. But hopefully that gives him a chip on his shoulders. 

Can’t blame Patterson and at all for leaving early tbh. Breaking all sorts of ncaa records and what not. One of the top rushers in the country in terms of stats. Will be interesting to see where he goes 

2 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Well into the 6th round.  12 running  backs off of the board at this point.  Anyone else think that JP should have stayed for his senior year.

Absolutely not, he’ll get picked up by a team, played lights out this season. He will get as far now as he would if he stayed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

BO didn't leave early.

I’m aware. But similar size and stature. And perhaps similar career paths. Let’s be real here Tyree was not gonna get drafted. JP had a shot. But now has to climbs the depth charts as an undrafted free agent.

Edited by DooleyBull06

Not sure who advises these underclassmen to declare early like what happened with Tyree Jackson. Is it worth being an Undrafted free agent where another year they could pad their stats and improve their resume. I understand injury can be a concern but if you know you have a good team and can have a better season senior year, why not stay? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bill said:

Patterson signs with Washington football team as an UDFA

antonio nunn to the falcons as an UDFA

Hopefully Patterson can stick, shame it’s with that team. Very sad that these young men get such poor advise.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised at all that Patterson wasn't drafted.  The brutal truth is he's an undersized back from a MAC school.  He put up huge numbers but many may suspect a lot was due to the system.  I'm not taking away from what he accomplished this year, but let's be real - most MAC level players should not be leaving early to go pro.  What really put Khalil Mack on the radar as a top pick was not what he did against Kent and Miami but what he was able to do against Ohio State.  Hopefully Patterson makes the most of this limited opportunity.
With Fitzy and hopefully Jaret Patterson, it'll be easy to root for Washington this fall.

One thing that hurt Patterson was the competition. The mindless prattle of filler that was ESPN yesterday included something that they said scouts review.  What did he do against others that are likely to be in the NFL.  Do not look at what a player does against a poor quality opponent, look at what they do against the cream of the crop.  Running for miles against Bowling Green is meaningless.  What would he have done against Ohio State last year or Nebraska in the fall.  All of his numbers are great, but what did he do against equal or better competition?

Does anyone think Khalil Mack would have gone fifth overall if not for the Ohio State game?  He did not play against Georgia in his junior year.

• Like 2