Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Next Coach Out - Mo Linguist

Bill

• Jeseph pinned this topic
14 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Excited to see who he brings in for the coaching staff. 

I feel he can already recruit better than LL

Spot on with both points (although only time will tell on each). Also hope that he's better in game than LL...there was a lot left to be desired in many instances! It's quite possible that we won this trade. Again, only time will tell.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UB92 said:

Sounds like a man of integrity and not just telling a kid what he wants to hear and then moving on. I look forward to seeing what he does as the HC. Sounds like a guy people would do battle for. My big concern is what kind of staff he can put together at this stage of the year. I guess time will tell.

This year will be interesting. I have high expectations for him as a coach because I think this is an incredible hire. Yet at the same time he’s coming into an incredibly difficult position. Either way I’m excited for the future under Coach Linguist!

9 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

This year will be interesting. I have high expectations for him as a coach because I think this is an incredible hire. Yet at the same time he’s coming into an incredibly difficult position. Either way I’m excited for the future under Coach Linguist!

Agreed, I think he is a great hire in the long run. I'm hopeful he can right the ship and keep it on course for this season. We have a very good recruiting class and good core. The guys in the portal I'm most concerned about are the O-Line guys. We need to bring them back into the fold, that's our strength and we will need our running attack. Meyers is the question. Perhaps he doesn't see a future here or maybe he thinks this a new shot for him. Alot may depend upon the OC and what style of offense he uses.

34 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Agreed, I think he is a great hire in the long run. I'm hopeful he can right the ship and keep it on course for this season. We have a very good recruiting class and good core. The guys in the portal I'm most concerned about are the O-Line guys. We need to bring them back into the fold, that's our strength and we will need our running attack. Meyers is the question. Perhaps he doesn't see a future here or maybe he thinks this a new shot for him. Alot may depend upon the OC and what style of offense he uses.

Not that I wouldn’t love Myers back, but I’m more concerned about the OLine right now. We know what we have in KVT but I have no clue how good the backup OLine is 

• Like 1

I honestly think that "right the ship" is not the right wording.  I don't think it's listing that badly to the port or starboard, that it needs to be righted.  We were expecting big things for this fall, and I don't feel as though we've lost anything yet that will change those expectations.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

I honestly think that "right the ship" is not the right wording.  I don't think it's listing that badly to the port or starboard, that it needs to be righted.  We were expecting big things for this fall, and I don't feel as though we've lost anything yet that will change those expectations.

You are right, it’s not yet, we just need to lock down our OL and I’ll feel better. I’m also interested in the OC philosophy and how it aligns with our current and incoming players skill sets.

I was pessimistic that the AD would be able to get the right guy in here after what happened on the basketball side.  

Now...we have no idea how Linguist will work out as a head coach, but I am impressed that the AD was able to do this quickly and effectively.  Kudos to the AD.  I really like the hire at the moment - so far, so good.  

Go Bulls!

PS:   Nebraska fan...you probably want to go back to being worried about this game.  

• Like 1

According to the Buffalo news, 3 players plan on withdrawing from the portal, including Matt Myers. Judging by the Twitter feed of tyrece woods, I’d expect him to be one as well.

Edited by Bill
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, UB92 said:

I was pessimistic that the AD would be able to get the right guy in here after what happened on the basketball side.  

Now...we have no idea how Linguist will work out as a head coach, but I am impressed that the AD was able to do this quickly and effectively.  Kudos to the AD.  I really like the hire at the moment - so far, so good.  

Go Bulls!

PS:   Nebraska fan...you probably want to go back to being worried about this game.  

It's safe to say he is a football guy. He actually probably took suggestions and used the search firm. He'd admit he's a football guy first. 

In basketball (per source) he lost his top choice and then defaulted back to their 2nd best assistant coach who sold him a bill of goods based on keeping a few players. 

58 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Looks like Eddie Wilson got an offer from Marshall. Hopefully he stays with us. He was really a difference maker in the middle.

Along with Western Kentucky and UTSA. Agreed it’d be huge (literally) if we can keep him. 

8 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Along with Western Kentucky and UTSA. Agreed it’d be huge (literally) if we can keep him. 

What's the draw of Western Kentucky? Isn't that where Lefebvre went? Roy Baker went to Eastern Kentucky, so maybe something down there is exciting.

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Looks like Eddie Wilson got an offer from Marshall. Hopefully he stays with us. He was really a difference maker in the middle.

Hopefully he remembers us beating them last year 🙂

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

It's safe to say he is a football guy. He actually probably took suggestions and used the search firm. He'd admit he's a football guy first. 

In basketball (per source) he lost his top choice and then defaulted back to their 2nd best assistant coach who sold him a bill of goods based on keeping a few players. 

How was Whitesell the "2nd best assistant"? Wasn't he 2nd in command while Nate was here?