Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Next Coach Out - Mo Linguist

Bill

19 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

If these first 3 recruits are an indication, I have a feeling our gaps will filled and then some!

Was about to be grouchy and say what 3 recruits... but decided to check the recruiting thread first. Nice! Should be a lot of action incoming for a bit. I should stick to football recruiting and leave basketball news to the slow and steady wins the race crowd. 😂

Just now, MuchMany said:

Was about to be grouchy and say what 3 recruits... but decided to check the recruiting thread first. Nice! Should be a lot of action incoming for a bit. I should stick to football recruiting and leave basketball news to the slow and steady wins the race crowd. 😂

I'm with you. Would like to see the BB roster filled out, but those seem to just pop up when you least expect it! If coach Mo is pulling from his former locations, we could see some solid players come in.

8 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I saw the late offer from them. Maybe they play a type of offense he thinks will give him more targets. Oh well, on to the next one.

I think we got a better lb in the guy from Independence CC. Best of luck to him though, have to make the best decision for yourself 

15 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

I think we got a better lb in the guy from Independence CC. Best of luck to him though, have to make the best decision for yourself 

It’s possible he heard about that commit coming and skipped down the road, maybe didn’t want to compete.

• 2 weeks later...

https://twitter.com/UBFootball/status/1403462935213744136?s=20

No doubt he and staff have the best plan forward to prepare for Wagner.

The 2021 roster is updated and all the signees are listed, with none of the transfers coming in listed yet. Tyrece Woods is still listed so not sure what that indicates. OL and DT are worrisome so it's exciting to see the transfer commitments.

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1410416591158849536?s=20

Sources: Buffalo has received 12 commitments among the 14 official visits it has held since Mo Linguist took over as coach. Nine of those are commitments for the 2022 class. Bulls off to a hot start.

Reloading and winning off-field battles already. 

That’s pretty impressive. Now we need to win on the field and get these young men to sign on the dotted line in December.

• 1 month later...

Great content all over today from 1st practice. Mo's for real, so methodical, little of the typical coach speak. Ran practice as he wanted up tempo. You hear him speak, then you stop and reflect even as a fan. Just imagine how the players react. Quite impressive. Win or lose, he is a leader.

From the shots it looks like Polgar at C, with Diorion, Wallace, Schaerer, Doty getting snaps in with Fuzak/Klink. I wouldn't be shocked if Diorion starts. Doty has a ways to go as you see him flatfooted with a spin move and speed rush from Wolo. Wolo with Black and a healthy Riggins have the makings of a fast unit, and hopefully Rogers takes up good space.

One video showed Quian Williams absolutely blowing by true frosh Cuffy. Great feet, hands, speed to be WR1.

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the ESPN game matchup predictors of UB Football and I was pleasantly surprised. Apparently whomever does this at ESPN feels like we may not have lost a step in the transition. Here is what it shows:

Wagner - 99.2% Win Probability

Nebraska - 24.2%

Coastal Carolina - 48.4% (I thought that was great as a 50/50 against a ranked opponent)

Old Dominion - 90.6%

Western Michigan - 64.3%

Kent St. - 63.5%

Ohio - 81.5%

Akron - 90.6%

Bowling Green - 95.0%

Miami OH - 62.3%

Northern Illinois - 77.5%

Ball St - 42.0% (I like that this is our final game, we should have continuity with the team by then)

If we end up as this predicts, 9-3 would get a solid bowl game. Mild upsets of Coastal and Ball St makes it a special year along with a MAC East Title and spot in the MACC. It's a good time to be a UB Fan!

I am very excited for next week to see how Coach Mo has formed this team.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I was looking at the ESPN game matchup predictors of UB Football and I was pleasantly surprised. Apparently whomever does this at ESPN feels like we may not have lost a step in the transition. Here is what it shows:

Nebraska - 24.2%

Coastal Carolina - 48.4% (I thought that was great as a 50/50 against a ranked opponent)

Old Dominion - 90.6%

Western Michigan - 64.3%

Kent St. - 63.5%

Ohio - 81.5%

Akron - 90.6%

Bowling Green - 95.0%

Miami OH - 62.3%

Ball St - 42.0% (I like that this is our final game, we should have continuity with the team by then)

If we end up as this predicts, 9-3 would get a solid bowl game. Mild upsets of Coastal and Ball St makes it a special year along with a MAC East Title and spot in the MACC. It's a good time to be a UB Fan!

I mentioned this in a thread earlier this off-season.

12 - 0 going into the MACC.

Go Bulls.  It is their time to shine.

4 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Nebraska - 24.2%

Old Dominion - 90.6%

Western Michigan - 64.3%

Kent St. - 63.5%

Ohio - 81.5%

Akron - 90.6%

Bowling Green - 95.0%

Miami OH - 62.3%

I think we have a better chance against Nebraska than Coastal to be honest, home field advantage aside

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, UB05 said:

I think we have a better chance against Nebraska than Coastal to be honest, home field advantage aside

It’s hard for some analysts to forget about the “name” of a school. Nebraska still has it, Coastal doesn’t. UCF ran into the same problem. The new good teams have to prove themselves every week, the former good teams get overrated annually (see Nebraska, Michigan, Texas, etc)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

It’s hard for some analysts to forget about the “name” of a school. Nebraska still has it, Coastal doesn’t. UCF ran into the same problem. The new good teams have to prove themselves every week, the former good teams get overrated annually (see Nebraska, Michigan, Texas, etc)

If I’m not mistaken Coastal runs some form of the Triple Option with more passing mixed in, which has traditionally given us fits. Maybe I’m wrong

1 hour ago, DaBulls99 said:

If I’m not mistaken Coastal runs some form of the Triple Option with more passing mixed in, which has traditionally given us fits. Maybe I’m wrong

You are correct on both parts. They run he same offense as Army & Navy, but does have a bit more passing thrown in. Hopefully our D can adjust to that better than we have in the past. It's such a funky game. Like teams that play Syracuse that aren't use to their zone defensive scheme.

13 hours ago, UBinMD said:

You are correct on both parts. They run he same offense as Army & Navy, but does have a bit more passing thrown in. Hopefully our D can adjust to that better than we have in the past. It's such a funky game. Like teams that play Syracuse that aren't use to their zone defensive scheme.

I'm pretty sure this isn't correct.

Coastal runs a pretty standard college offense and has one of the top young QB prospects in the country.  They threw the ball 287 times in 12 games last year, an average of 23.9 passes/game.  They were a little more run-heavy than pass-heavy, but hardly a triple option offense.  For reference, UB threw 22.4 passes/game last year.  It's a similar mix, but I would expect Coastal to pass a little more this year now that Grayson McCall has a year of experience under his belt.  If anything, Coastal runs an offense pretty similar to UB, a lot of spread formation running plays, with a little more QB option keepers.

Here's an example of their offense from last year - Link.  Not their finest example since they get sacked a few times, but it's an example of their offense.

Maybe you're thinking of Georgia Southern?  I'm not sure if they're still running the triple option, but they used to under Paul Johnson and Jeff Monken.  

13 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't correct.

Coastal runs a pretty standard college offense and has one of the top young QB prospects in the country.  They threw the ball 287 times in 12 games last year, an average of 23.9 passes/game.  They were a little more run-heavy than pass-heavy, but hardly a triple option offense.  For reference, UB threw 22.4 passes/game last year.  It's a similar mix, but I would expect Coastal to pass a little more this year now that Grayson McCall has a year of experience under his belt.  If anything, Coastal runs an offense pretty similar to UB, a lot of spread formation running plays, with a little more QB option keepers.

Here's an example of their offense from last year - Link.  Not their finest example since they get sacked a few times, but it's an example of their offense.

Maybe you're thinking of Georgia Southern?  I'm not sure if they're still running the triple option, but they used to under Paul Johnson and Jeff Monken.  

Their offense is RPO (run pass option) heavy. Similar to what the Baltimore Ravens run. Almost every play they’ll either fake a handoff to a pass or fake the handoff to where McCall scrambles. Or they’ll even use the RPO fake to hand the ball off to their back. And also they use standard shotgun stuff. 

47 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Their offense is RPO (run pass option) heavy. Similar to what the Baltimore Ravens run. Almost every play they’ll either fake a handoff to a pass or fake the handoff to where McCall scrambles. Or they’ll even use the RPO fake to hand the ball off to their back. And also they use standard shotgun stuff. 

Correct, much more RPO.

• 1 month later...

It is probably time to bump this thread, considering the poor play in all 3 phases.  I knew we would struggle a bit, but I didn’t expect this sort of performance today.  I thought we’d feast today.   

Ohio lost to Duquesne.  

Akron is looking at UB at home as a very winnable game. 

7 hours ago, UB92 said:

It is probably time to bump this thread, considering the poor play in all 3 phases.  I knew we would struggle a bit, but I didn’t expect this sort of performance today.  I thought we’d feast today.   

Ohio lost to Duquesne.  

Akron is looking at UB at home as a very winnable game. 

He gets a mulligan for this season.

• Like 2

We can’t fault him for needing more time to build the team around his philosophy. No doubt. But his decision making can and should be judged. It’s been very questionable. Hopefully he begins to realize the teams weaknesses and not play into them as much as he has been. We should be paying close attention to his growth as a coach this season, which is absolutely fair game. 

Edited by UBminicre
  • Like 1