Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Next Coach Out - Mo Linguist

Bill

1 minute ago, UBminicre said:

We can’t fault him for needing more time to build the team around his philosophy. No doubt. But his decision making can and should be judged. It’s been very questionable. Hopefully he begins to realize the teams weaknesses and not play into them as much as he has been. We should be paying close attention to his growth as a coach this season, which is absolutely fair game. 

He’s making in game decisions assistant coaches want to make. Ultra aggressive at times. I’m expecting one of our best recruiting classes ever (a bowl appearance would certainly help that). Next year it needs to be game on. We will have returning veterans, a decision to make at QB and some holes to fill (notably James Patterson). We will see how it goes from there, but I expect us to be back on top.

19 hours ago, UBminicre said:

We can’t fault him for needing more time to build the team around his philosophy. No doubt. But his decision making can and should be judged. It’s been very questionable. Hopefully he begins to realize the teams weaknesses and not play into them as much as he has been. We should be paying close attention to his growth as a coach this season, which is absolutely fair game. 

This was my point.  

The more positives he shows now, the less he will have to learn in the future...and the quicker he is up to speed.

To say "he gets a mulligan" or "I'm not judging" him is naïve.    If UB was undefeated, people would be judging him on this board left and right (in a good way).

He gets judged for everything -- he's the head coach.  Hopefully he is learning.

• 4 weeks later...

Today Kolbe Burrell entered the portal, so another scholarship for the staff to utilize. Burrell never saw action, while Mike Washington really set himself up as a future potential offensive weapon.

So we have 4 in the portal and from the game notes:

Prior to Wednesday’s game, Buffalo will honor 18 seniors playing their final homes game at UB Stadium. Being honored before the game will be Wankeith Akin, Eric Black, Sean Colgan, Evan Finegan, Jake Fuzak, Evan Gantley, Shemar Hayes, Ja’Marcus Ingram, Dominic Johnson, Jack Klenk, Kevin Marks, Jake Molinich, Taylor Riggins, Jeremiah Riordan, Tim Terry, Carlton Todd, Keith Woetzel and Kadofi Wright.

Does this mean other class of 2017 players (KVT, Isiah King, Patterson, Ruiz) could choose to be back?

So depending upon how the additional Sr's who have their extra year of eligibility decide to stay, play elsewhere, or hang 'em up, Mo will have a lot of ride's to use. 

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly

3 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

So depending upon how the additional Sr's who have their extra year of eligibility decide to stay, play elsewhere, or hang 'em up, Mo will have a lot of ride's to use. 

Usually only have a maximum of 25 to give out per year.  Transfer portal may alter that figure, not sure.

Lonnie Rice entered the portal today. The 2020 class recruits who haven't seen time are attempting to clear out, so it seems the message may be sent. The staff want their players, and they are going hard with many recent offers to Texas prep and JUCO's. Very much like Gill's recruiting Texas, and different from the former staff who hit the Mid-Atlantic hard.

11 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Lonnie Rice entered the portal today. The 2020 class recruits who haven't seen time are attempting to clear out, so it seems the message may be sent. The staff want their players, and they are going hard with many recent offers to Texas prep and JUCO's. Very much like Gill's recruiting Texas, and different from the former staff who hit the Mid-Atlantic hard.

If it gets the results, I'm all for it. It's a shame we may lose some quality kids, but if they don't fit, they will be better off finding a home that works for their talents. Good luck to all of them. They didn't create the situation, they need to look out for themselves. That's how the world works these days.

Two more players were removed from the roster this week (bringing the season total up to 11).  #30 Ryan Razzano, sophomore RB who only played in the opener against Wagner.  And, #98 Sunil Fong, redshirt freshman walk-on DE who only played against Ohio.

In other news, Jalen McNair appears on the two deep for the first time this year.  If he plays against Ball State, it will be the redshirt freshman safety's first game of the season.

1 hour ago, Ron Polizzi said:

I assume that means he won’t be playing tomorrow night? Portal during the season is weak, but whatever. I guess they want their name out there before the early signing period. I’m guessing he knows he isn’t in the plans for 2022.

On 11/18/2021 at 9:47 PM, RecoveringHillbilly said:

He hasn't even been with the team.  Not sure why he needed to enter the portal

I know they had some injuries but this team massively regressed as the season went on. I don’t know what Mo’s vision is going forward but it had better be the opposite of tonight.  Terrible QB play, slow receivers that get no separation, awful secondary with no technique or athleticism.  This is a 2 win team next season unless drastic upgrades happen.

23 hours ago, zigo230 said:

I know they had some injuries but this team massively regressed as the season went on. I don’t know what Mo’s vision is going forward but it had better be the opposite of tonight.  Terrible QB play, slow receivers that get no separation, awful secondary with no technique or athleticism.  This is a 2 win team next season unless drastic upgrades happen.

Actually the defense seemed to play fairly well the last few games, especially considering injuries. The Offense let them down vs NIU and BSU. 

• Like 1

According to some recruiting activity accounts, Linguist and the staff are going after a lot of players in the portal. Just offered a few DBs and safety’s. Hopefully they can get some players that fit his system and we see Buffalo have a much more productive season 

Edited by Dabulls

8 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

According to some recruiting activity accounts, Linguist and the staff are going after a lot of players in the portal. Just offered a few DBs and safety’s. Hopefully they can get some players that fit his system and we see Buffalo have a much more productive season 

Where do you find that info?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...