Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Next Coach Out - Mo Linguist

Bill

53 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

I’ve been critical of coach Mo but I can’t be mad at his recruiting efforts and efforts to make the team the way he wants it to be. It’s great to have the best recruiting class in the Mac, amazing accomplishment. But what I find most impressive is his ability to find recruits early. Many times I see reports of players getting their first d1 offer from UB then next week they get an ACC or SEC offer. It’s great that he can see the potential and talent of players before others

And some kids, not all, reward that effort. Many times you will lose to the P5 poachers (ala Rino to ND), but that kid had no offers as an undersized LS and then people look because Mo has a reputation as a good evaluator. Also, when many of these guys first hit 247 they had no stars, but almost every one ended up as a 3-star, so you are dead on that he sees things others don’t. I really hope it translates on the field because if it does, we could be a tough team to beat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

And some kids, not all, reward that effort. Many times you will lose to the P5 poachers (ala Rino to ND), but that kid had no offers as an undersized LS and then people look because Mo has a reputation as a good evaluator. Also, when many of these guys first hit 247 they had no stars, but almost every one ended up as a 3-star, so you are dead on that he sees things others don’t. I really hope it translates on the field because if it does, we could be a tough team to beat.

I’m confident in this season, Mo came in very late last year with players who were not his recruits and tried to implement a play style that didn’t fit the mold of some guys. From what I know from my insider on the team is that he is letting some guys know that they should either look elsewhere or will not see the field much. He’s adding players who fit his mold and somewhat pushing players out. Now he’s got his guys here and those who stayed either fit his build or have trust in his abilities. Sure there has been some questionable play calling at times but that happens with every coach in football, look at Daboll this season or fraziers decisions against the chiefs. I can admit that I was hard on him last season and I probably got a bit carried away. This season more than the last one should be the real evaluation period for Mo, not just for this fan page but for people like Allnut. A little off topic because it’s not football but look at whitesell, he’s been the head coach for a few seasons now and the majority of the team is his recruits. We can be more critical of him now because what we see on the court is a reflection of his implemented play calling and talent of players he brought in 

3 hours ago, Dabulls said:

… I see reports of players getting their first d1 offer from UB then next week they get an ACC or SEC offer. …

I’m curious, are these twitter reports?   Because I don’t see any (not one) P5 offer for anyone in this class.  In general I like the portal, but it’s wrecking havoc on my (already poor) ability to compare classes across the conference.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

I’m curious, are these twitter reports?   Because I don’t see any (not one) P5 offer for anyone in this class.  In general I like the portal, but it’s wrecking havoc on my (already poor) ability to compare classes across the conference.  

I follow a bunch of the UB recruiting pages who retweet recruiting news. It’s been a few of the 23 class and from the previous 22 class. Linguist stated that he had a couple guys get last minute offers from bigger schools. Also I tend to do some digging on recruits twitter pages just to see what they’re like as players 

7 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

I follow a bunch of the UB recruiting pages who retweet recruiting news. It’s been a few of the 23 class and from the previous 22 class. Linguist stated that he had a couple guys get last minute offers from bigger schools. Also I tend to do some digging on recruits twitter pages just to see what they’re like as players 

Thanks!  After posting, I realized you were speaking more about general talent evaluation, and less about this specific class.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

I thought the secondary was so awful this past season, and that was supposed to be Mo's specialty.   It's great to see the offensive talent coming in here...I hope he's fixing the secondary as well.  

We have a number of secondary players coming in, so I'm hoping that works. I also have a feeling the new DC has a better grasp on Mo's vision.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ub2019 said:

It appears Joe Licata will be leaving the staff to go back to the high school ranks. 

That's unfortunate, but I'm sure he will still be a big advocate for UB Football. It all depends upon where your passions lie. If his ultimate goal is to be a Head Coach, then follow your dream. Best of luck!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

First Bowl Projection I have seen so far. Has UB in the Potato against Fresno St:

Here are a few more speculations:

image.png.c6647afaa0b153a25fd13bf4d57d2e0b.png

The Gasparilla Bowl seems to be a bit of stretch as your projections have Tulane playing ND.  The matchups against S. Alabama and San Jose St. work for me.

15 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Here are a few more speculations:

image.png.c6647afaa0b153a25fd13bf4d57d2e0b.png

The Gasparilla Bowl seems to be a bit of stretch as your projections have Tulane playing ND.  The matchups against S. Alabama and San Jose St. work for me.

I want a win tonight to shut those assholes up and then a Bowl game against a solid opponent. The MACC would be some good gravy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...