Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

East Coast Conference Memories

I always felt bad for our Royals after learning they had won 2 ECC women's basketball tournament titles and no post-season. 

I didn't attend UB until Fall 1998 so I missed the fresh-restart-at-D-1-to-decent Bulls ECC/Indy/ECC/Mid-Con years, and only Kleidon, Libomi, and Alexeev were roster veterans in 1998. So I had to start cheering through 5 seasons of rebuilding men's basketball and 10 losing Football seasons. At least the women's teams were competitive under Dozier. I assume that is why I am more optimistic than many others at times; I've soldiered through the worst MAC years.

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly

25 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

I always felt bad for our Royals after learning they had won 2 ECC women's basketball tournament titles and no post-season. 

I didn't attend UB until Fall 1998 so I missed the fresh-restart-at-D-1-to-decent Bulls ECC/Indy/ECC/Mid-Con years, and only Kleidon, Libomi, and Alexeev were roster veterans in 1998. So I had to start cheering through 5 seasons of rebuilding men's basketball and 10 losing Football seasons. At least the women's teams were competitive under Dozier. I assume that is why I am more optimistic than many others at times; I've soldiered through the worst MAC years.

If you consider going 89-107 after the prior coach (Sal Buscaglia) went 155-71.

On 6/7/2021 at 11:03 PM, BrooklynBull said:

If you consider going 89-107 after the prior coach (Sal Buscaglia) went 155-71.

Comparatively, yes, back then I felt like the women's team were setting a standard out of the gate in the MAC, like the women's soccer team when they won the 2000 MAC regular season title. MAC women's basketball was earning 2 bids several years, so it was a step-up from the ECC/Mid-Con competition. Beat UNC for one more half than the men did vs the Tar Heels. Multiple players were earning All-MAC awards, unlike MBB who didn't have anyone above HM/All-Freshman team until Battle was 2nd team in 03-04.

Silly me forgot the UB women had no post-season options as the WNIT post season tournament was not around until '98, and UB was on their 4 year transition until '95-'96.

For UB, that fact, along with geography, hurt Townsend's attempts to gain an invite from the NAC (America East), while Hofstra and Townson were admitted. The Hockey East/NAC schools did us no favors, while Ippoliti + Mid-Con/MAC Presidents, pulled UB out of the depths with two conference invitations. It is incredible that UB was in the D-1 hinterlands in 1993, but once they were out of their transition in 1995, the MAC invited. 

• 5 months later...
On 6/7/2021 at 10:36 PM, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Still think when they switched all team names to the Bulls, should have done Royal Bulls out of fairness and also a Bull mascot with a cape and scepter.