Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Tyrone Perry

Dabulls

Not knocking the guy but honestly I hope he readshirts. He can be valuable as a practice player and help coach our young guards (Blocker and Jones). I’m really hoping Jones and Blocker get minutes this year, especially Blocker. If perry is the great shooter his followers say he is, I see him coming in for a possible 10 minutes a game 

4 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Not knocking the guy but honestly I hope he readshirts. He can be valuable as a practice player and help coach our young guards (Blocker and Jones). I’m really hoping Jones and Blocker get minutes this year, especially Blocker. If perry is the great shooter his followers say he is, I see him coming in for a possible 10 minutes a game 

Sometimes it’s hard to shine when your team is a train wreck. I’m hoping he comes in and gets pushed to reach his potential and be a contributor either in practice or on the court. Sometime a change of scenery is what these guys need. Tough when you lose most of your games to keep the intensity. If he’s an upgrade to Gallion it’s a win. Plus it’s not like he’s our savior in waiting. A solid role player is perfectly fine.

Generally I find the releases from UB Athletics to be kind of generic, but it seems like this was more of a targeted recruitment with how out of the blue it was, so I'll be interested to see what Whitesell envisions Perry's role to be.  I had assumed that Perry played PG at Fordham but I watched his minutes in a game I found on Youtube, and his highlights and at least the role he played at Fordham was clearly used as an off-ball guard.

For those looking for videos on him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuwR2-kXz04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QQiAVep4u4

Shooting guard is certainly the position most in flux as of now so maybe he was pitched on an open competition with Jack and Brewton for minutes and we're just hoping to find production in some combination from them.

Edited by trueblue32

8 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Generally I find the releases from UB Athletics to be kind of generic, but it seems like this was more of a targeted recruitment with how out of the blue it was, so I'll be interested to see what Whitesell envisions Perry's role to be.  I had assumed that Perry played PG at Fordham but I watched his minutes in a game I found on Youtube, and his highlights and at least the role he played at Fordham was clearly used as an off-ball guard.

For those looking for videos on him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuwR2-kXz04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QQiAVep4u4

Shooting guard is certainly the position most in flux as of now so maybe he was pitched on an open competition with Jack and Brewton for minutes and we're just hoping to find production in some combination from them.

Brewton is a pg I believe. The only true Sg we have is Jack and Blocker is a combo guard. I’m not sure how he’ll fit in the rotation if he’s eligible this season. Can imagine we want our freshman to get some looks

17 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Brewton is a pg I believe. The only true Sg we have is Jack and Blocker is a combo guard. I’m not sure how he’ll fit in the rotation if he’s eligible this season. Can imagine we want our freshman to get some looks

No Brewton is definitely an off-ball guard (albeit small) unless he significantly revamps his game.  He's played off-ball at Coastal Carolina (next to DeVante Jones) and off-ball in JUCO (Zachery for one year, and whoever else the year prior).  In his D1 career he's had a 7.4% assist rate, for reference Segu more than doubles him at 18% (and I wouldn't even define Segu as a pass-first PG).

Brewton/Jack/Perry will play for the same role.

This more says to me that maybe something could be happening with Brewton or Jack? I find it super strange the way it went down. He isn't coming here to redshirt, so this is an interesting addition. 

Not a huge fan of the low shooting percentage, but i do like the limited turnovers and high FT% something that our players have struggled with. A flyer player from the A10.

On 6/7/2021 at 3:10 PM, Kevin said:

Brewton/Jack/Perry will play for the same role.

This more says to me that maybe something could be happening with Brewton or Jack? I find it super strange the way it went down. He isn't coming here to redshirt, so this is an interesting addition. 

Not a huge fan of the low shooting percentage, but i do like the limited turnovers and high FT% something that our players have struggled with. A flyer player from the A10.

I don't think it means much in relation to brewton or Jack. If it does I would be surprised

To me it is an additional ball handler, because after segu and jones the bulls would be going to brewton/jack which isn't optimal. Especially considering jones is a freshman

39 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I don't think it means much in relation to brewton or Jack. If it does I would be surprised

To me it is an additional ball handler, because after segu and jones the bulls would be going to brewton/jack which isn't optimal. Especially considering jones is a freshman

It make sense to add depth at PG behind Segu.  I would love if Jones is ready day one, but agree it is good to have an experienced alternative.  However based on Ty's assist stats at Fordham, wonder how much he was in PG role. Have trust that there is a plan.

6 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

It make sense to add depth at PG behind Segu.  I would love if Jones is ready day one, but agree it is good to have an experienced alternative.  However based on Ty's assist stats at Fordham, wonder how much he was in PG role. Have trust that there is a plan.

Seems to be nothing more than a depth piece. Nothing big expected from him. And I don’t think he comes in expecting to be the man. Seems like a player who will come in and have to earn a role. Always good to have guard depth.