Jump to content
Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Devin Ceaser (2022 PG)


DocCas86
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Great information, unfortunately 247 is missing a few things. Ohio signed a 247 3-star, Top-250 player earlier this year, AJ Clayton. He reclassified from 2022 to 21' and was getting looks from all of the big Ohio schools despite being from the middle of nowhere.

https://247sports.com/player/aj-clayton-46102825/

The transfer portal also plays a big role in this and it's often hard to quantify a newcomer's value. Take for instance, Jason Carter from Xavier to Ohio. He was a star in the MAC but an average contributor at Xavier. What will he be like back on the Bobcats?

One last tidbit after not seeing this mentioned anywhere, Ohio also added a Rivals Top-150 (#135) verbal for 2022 in Aidan Hadaway who chose the Bobcats over Georgia. Right now, it appears to be a two-way recruiting battle in the MAC between UB and OU. 

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2022/aidan-hadaway-276103

Neither has a distinct advantage over the other as long as Boals and Whitesell remain. 

To this point I don’t see Boals remaining at Ohio long if he has another successful year. I know it’s his alam mater but the man can flat out recruit. Winning in the MAC and being able to recruit will move you up in the world. Just ask Oats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking at Devin’s recruiting timeline, I think we got him at a perfect time. For a while he was greatly under recruited and we seemingly offered him early. Then his offers increased and he was being offered by some good mid majors along with Virginia Tech. His progression in his recruiting tells me that his game keeps evolving and improving. By the time he gets to us he may be a high major prototype. Same thing happened with Kidtrell Blocker, was under recruited then balled out at a few showcases and earned himself high major interest and offers. Us out recruiting them for players is great and I am excited to se these guys on the court

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2021 at 6:33 AM, Dabulls said:

.., I think we got him at a perfect time…

Great post, I had similar thoughts. 
Deep down though, in dark places usually best left unexplored, another thought began to sprout.  His progress will continue at UB, and in three years he will be portal’d to Tech, or another program that just began to follow him.  UBFandom will turn into a pitchfork and torch carrying mob, calling for the heads of all unfaithful student athletes.  
Good thing I plucked that thought like a weed, before it could mature and grow fruit. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Great post, I had similar thoughts. 
Deep down though, in dark places usually best left unexplored, another thought began to sprout.  His progress will continue at UB, and in three years he will be portal’d to Tech, or another program that just began to follow him.  UBFandom will turn into a pitchfork and torch carrying mob, calling for the heads of all unfaithful student athletes.  
Good thing I plucked that thought like a weed, before it could mature and grow fruit. 

If he leads us to the big dance a time or 2 before he portals out, are we all happy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

I am.  The portal doesn’t bother me.  It is just an extension of college sports in general.  Rosters are always changing.  

Agree with both of you 100% - would be perfectly happy if he plays so well that transfer becomes a possibility - as this will hopefully mean team success.  UB has been very good of late parlaying on-court success to keeping transfers to a minimum, but it will impact us at some point I am afraid.

As a case in point, here is latest year 'success' of keeping people out of the portal vs the MAC - we only lost 1.4% of our total minutes to portal.

image.png.0c49c16c099bd45b925df07e0e1a230d.png

 

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Agree with both of you 100% - would be perfectly happy if he plays so well that transfer becomes a possibility - as this will hopefully mean team success.  UB has been very good of late parlaying on-court success to keeping transfers to a minimum, but it will impact us at some point I am afraid.

As a case in point, here is latest year 'success' of keeping people out of the portal vs the MAC - we only lost 1.4% of our total minutes to portal.

image.png.0c49c16c099bd45b925df07e0e1a230d.png

 

And if that 1.4% is Savion Gallion, I'm good with that % loss. I think we have better freshmen coming in than what he would have provided his last 2 years. The Michigan directional schools got hammered!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest I think we're in a pretty good spot for the portal.  We haven't had a major loss there since Bearden, and we've had several significant contributors come in since then.  Being a top mid-major theoretically gives us a shot to pick from some good down transfers, while also retaining the Segus and Williams because we're still winning and they arguably get just as big of a spotlight as they would as a role player at a high major. 

I understand frustration with some of Whitesell's shortcomings, but he seems to continue a culture that players aren't choosing to leave while also succeeding at bringing in more high level talent.  You can argue what the ceiling is with Whitesell but I feel he brings a high floor to the program, which I value highly with a re-shuffling of the conference decks on the horizon (which if things break right could raise our ceiling for us).  Now is not the time for the program to fall off of the map, and hopefully Linguist can do the same for the football program.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Erie County said:

Aiden Hadaway I've seen a 4 star in a few places. 

You are welcome for checking in.

A few places eh? Haven't seen that anywhere, drop some links.

Seems like a real nice top-150 get for them. A little lower but comparable to Jeenathan when he came in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

A few places eh? Haven't seen that anywhere, drop some links.

Seems like a real nice top-150 get for them. A little lower but comparable to Jeenathan when he came in.

Perhaps I missed something here but why exactly are we being so confrontational to Erie County?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 961819 said:

Perhaps I missed something here but why exactly are we being so confrontational to Erie County?

My guess is because he hates the current staff and will go out of his way to inject that into everything here. For instance a thread where everyone is excited about a new recruit he posted that they’re unranked, and that Ohio got a 4 star. Which in and of itself doesn’t seem like much, but in the context of the poster wanting everything Whitesell to be bad, even when we land a good recruit, probably rubbed someone the wrong way. That’s just my assumption though, based off spending time on this message board. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Been saying it for years, and it will always remain the same, rankings do not mean shit. The greatest player in UB history, unranked. 

Of course Sam Pellom was unranked.  Players were not ranked tehy way they are today back then.

Edited by BrooklynBull
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who Ohio lands only really matters if you think Jeff Boals will be at Ohio for long, which I personally do not.  Williams was ranked #130 and became an all-conference level player his junior year.  Lets see if Boals is in the MAC in 2025

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ub landing great recruits and ohio landing great recruits is a good thing. Lets build the mac so that we don't have to only win the mac tournament to get into March madness

Anyways I'm pretty sure ceaser was about to grab some more power conference offers. Rankings are fun but a lot of times you should look at who is offering as well 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Ub landing great recruits and ohio landing great recruits is a good thing. Lets build the mac so that we don't have to only win the mac tournament to get into March madness

Anyways I'm pretty sure ceaser was about to grab some more power conference offers. Rankings are fun but a lot of times you should look at who is offering as well 

Rankings don’t matter, I can make a case for offers as well. What’s nice is seeing that we beat out other great mid majors and an ACC team for ceasar. If he’s impressing their scouts he must be good at what he does

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

Who Ohio lands only really matters if you think Jeff Boals will be at Ohio for long, which I personally do not.  Williams was ranked #130 and became an all-conference level player his junior year.  Lets see if Boals is in the MAC in 2025

I think there would be a risk of a Aiden Hadaway transfer if Boals leaves.  However, depending on how Ohio handles the transition, they may be in a position to convince any potential transfer to stay like we were able to retain Williams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I think there would be a risk of a Aiden Hadaway transfer if Boals leaves.  However, depending on how Ohio handles the transition, they may be in a position to convince any potential transfer to stay like we were able to retain Williams. 

It’s all up to the kid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I think there would be a risk of a Aiden Hadaway transfer if Boals leaves.  However, depending on how Ohio handles the transition, they may be in a position to convince any potential transfer to stay like we were able to retain Williams. 

My thought is Boals is gone after this year (see: Oats winning an NCAAT game, running it back with mostly the same team, and then bolting).  Convincing Hadaway to come then without ever stepping on campus is a different discussion.  He's more akin to James Rojas, Andre Allen, Raymond Hawkins than Williams in that regard, but that's all conjecture.

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...