Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Amarri Tice (F - Wofford)

Bill

• 1 year later...
  • Jeseph changed the title to Amarri Monroe (F - Wofford)

Didn't recognize the name but it appears he was going by Amarri Tice at the time we were originally recruiting him:

His ORtg was bad last year (79.5), but his 22% DR% would've put him top-150 among qualifiers last year (he didn't qualify). He took more 3s than 2s last year, maybe that will change given the bad results, but he is an interesting archetype in that he seems to be perimeter focused on offense but rebounds the hell out of the ball on defense. He may need some development but the fit makes sense to me if we are looking for Villanova lite types.

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Didn't recognize the name but it appears he was going by Amarri Tice at the time we were originally recruiting him:

His ORtg was bad last year (79.5), but his 22% DR% would've put him top-150 among qualifiers last year (he didn't qualify). He took more 3s than 2s last year, maybe that will change given the bad results, but he is an interesting archetype in that he seems to be perimeter focused on offense but rebounds the hell out of the ball on defense. He may need some development but the fit makes sense to me if we are looking for Villanova lite types.

HC wants to develop a team over time, not looking to grab 1 years fill ins. They’ll be a fun team to watch this year but they’ll have their struggles. Like the approach he’s taking 

• Like 1

City Rocks AAU connection, this one makes a lot of sense. Interesting that he was listed as a PG in places as a recruit. I don't think that's his role at this level, but he'd be able to help (whoever we get at PG) with secondary ballhandling. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

City Rocks AAU connection, this one makes a lot of sense. Interesting that he was listed as a PG in places as a recruit. I don't think that's his role at this level, but he'd be able to help (whoever we get at PG) with secondary ballhandling. 

Combo guard, played pg and sf believe it or not for the city rocks. Was used as a SF at Wofford

Some highlights from him at Wofford:

Looks like he can handle the ball pretty well for his size. I think Halcovage has a vision for him in a Jermaine Samuels type of role in that he guards and rebounds like a big but is versatile on offense. He has to improve a lot to reach even a MAC level of that but I see the vision for him. I hope we land him. His highs scoring-wise were 11 points against Drake and Furman on good efficiency in 15 and 17 minutes respectively. Two of the best teams Wofford played last year, both top 100 tournament teams. That's really promising IMO

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

Thanks, I thought I searched for this but apparently not well enough I'll merge these lol

• Jeseph changed the title to Amarri Tice (F - Wofford)
8 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Wing is pretty crowded here so I get it, I guess. 

Maybe also a desire to be closer to home as Qunnipiac is only 1.5 hours from Newburgh.  I wish him the best. 

As you said wing is pretty crowded - need some guard transfers still.

• 1 month later...

From the big BN article today, sounds like GH3 and staff were stung by this one:

"The spontaneity of recruiting became a roadblock and a lesson for Halcovage and his staff during his second month on the job. Focus on one player to bring to your program, and he might find another team that better fits him.

“That’s happened, and it’s happened fast,” Halcovage said.

Recruiting involves building trust and being authentic with people, navigating the transfer portal and preparing for rejection, especially when they least expected it. And rejection happened. The Bulls lost out on Amarri Rice, a 6-foot-7 forward from Wofford who considered UB, but announced May 23 that he would transfer to Quinnipiac.

Resiliency, Halcovage and his staff realized, was key in re-assembling a roster.

“The challenge was bringing it every day,” Halcovage said. “Us keeping a great attitude and a positive attitude, given that this wasn’t going to be easy, and that we’re going to feel like we failed, at times, but we aren’t. We’re trying to get where we need to get.”"

• Like 2