Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

'21-'22 Schedule

Just noticed UB's updated schedule has a home game Dec 21st vs UC-Irvine. That is a great mid-major get at home, and good match with UB often saying UC-Irvine is one of our close academic peers.

MAC SCHEDULE...playing Akron and Ohio only once!? Holy crap! 2 games vs each West team!? Be still my heart!

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Just noticed UB's updated schedule has a home game Dec 21st vs UC-Irvine. That is a great mid-major get at home, and good match with UB often saying UC-Irvine is one of our close academic peers.

MAC SCHEDULE...playing Akron and Ohio only once!? Holy crap! 2 games vs each West team!? Be still my heart!

To me that’s stupid. Idk I wanna be battle tested and have played them the normal 2 times. As for UC Irvine…great get.

19 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

To me that’s stupid. Idk I wanna be battle tested and have played them the normal 2 times. As for UC Irvine…great get.

Agreed our biggest MAC rivals is a shock. I am thinking, we need the best MAC seeding to make the highest odds for reaching the Tournament. The MAC is sadly still an automatic 1 bid league UNTIL (not unless lol) a ranked UB rises up again. Back in 04-05 I hated that we got to whip weak Marshall twice which hurt our RPI and partially cost us that at-large chance. Today, I think it is all about key non-conference wins and the #1 MAC seed.

46 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Agreed our biggest MAC rivals is a shock. I am thinking, we need the best MAC seeding to make the highest odds for reaching the Tournament. The MAC is sadly still an automatic 1 bid league UNTIL (not unless lol) a ranked UB rises up again. Back in 04-05 I hated that we got to whip weak Marshall twice which hurt our RPI and partially cost us that at-large chance. Today, I think it is all about key non-conference wins and the #1 MAC seed.

Key to Toledo winning the MAC last season ... Pandemic aside - was only playing Ohio and UB once. As most MAC teams do with a target on their back, UT had some late-season losses but overall record and locked-in tie-breakers made the Rockets a comfortable conference champ.

That said UT's MAC Tournament draw - in the end - was not as easy as Ohio's meaning it went through Buffalo instead of Kent (a team they beat twice), and the Bulls made them pay.

Just sayin ...

44 minutes ago, Slim said:

Just sayin ...

Great point, though I always see Toledo MBB as cursed in some way. Always good but they 🧨💥 in Cleveland tourney time, no sense of any distance advantage, while Kent, Ohio, UB seem to rise-up in C-Town.

Looks like UC-Irvine plays against Duquesne in Akron (some Dambrot homecoming?) on Dec 19 before they come to Alumni. Makes some sense as to why they are making the trek.

56 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Did the conference remove divisions indefinitely, or only temporarily (for covid)?

Removed them last season to go to 20-game MAC season. Tradeoff is playing two teams only once every year. Schedule this year also eliminates 'rivalry Friday' the last game of the season. Granted this was no big deal to UB (paired with BG) but the rest of the MAC was greatly impacted: OU-Miami, Central-Western, Akron-Kent were not just quality games, but often had a huge impact on tournament seeding. Not to mention these were great TV games with big crowds.

MAC needs to find a sweet spot with its BB scheduling. Also don't see that 'bye' week late in the season when teams only played once. In a 'neighborhood' league like the MAC, this was huge, if only for the mental break.

The other loss, w/no divisions, was the ability for UB/NIU to get a distant travel game cross-division game off the books early before second semester started. Now I see UB/NIU playing 'cross division games' late in the season which are a killer, when on the road.

Lots to look at ...

I agree with what most have said. The MAC needs to find a middle ground. Would you rather be top heavy? Or have teams like Akron, UB and Ohio play each other twice and potentially earn Q1 wins? Thus potentially leading to the conference being a multi bid league. Gotta have balance and recognition of who the strong teams are headed into a particular season and letting them play twice. And from a fan standpoint, not that this relates to us, but college sports losing rivalries sucks. 

Edited by DooleyBull06

10 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

The rivalry continues between the Bonnies and Bulls this season and beyond. I’m interested to see what NBC streaming service is airing the game. I’d hate to yet again pay for another service just so I can watch them play. 

Hopefully both ub and the bonnies continue their upward trajectory and building tournament teams so that this game gets to be a major known rivalry not just in western new York but in the country 

7 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

7 OOC games announced, roughly 5-6 games left to be announced. 

What are some logical games you all are interested in seeing? I’d still love to see the opportunity to play Iona while Rick Pitino is their coach. 

I like Pittsburg, Xavier, Cincinnati, maybe Creighton since we like the Nebraska link for football. Vermont could be a good matchup certain years, not sure about now. I live in VA, so I could live with Towson, JMU, George Mason or even Virginia Tech so I could see them live.

I went to the Naval Academy for a game a few years ago, so I would like to do that again.

Just now, UBinMD said:

I like Pittsburg, Xavier, Cincinnati, maybe Creighton since we like the Nebraska link for football. Vermont could be a good matchup certain years, not sure about now. I live in VA, so I could live with Towson, JMU, George Mason or even Virginia Tech so I could see them live.

I went to the Naval Academy for a game a few years ago, so I would like to do that again.

I also went to Temple and Drexel in the past. Those were fun games as well.

13 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

What are some logical games you all are interested in seeing? I’d still love to see the opportunity to play Iona while Rick Pitino is their coach. 

Iona would be cool

Others I think would be solid games:Vermont, Colgate, Cincinnati, Xavier, Virginia tech, northeastern, Yale, george Mason, vcu 

Edited by Tee4three

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

If you are talking this year, one speculation I have is Northern Iowa.  They have a game @ St. Bonaventure Sat 11/27 and following Sunday at home against Richmond. Maybe a game @Alumni 11/30 or 12/1 after Cancun and before we play Bonnies 12/4?  That seems like it would be a nice home game.

Another point, I could be wrong but thinking only 4 more additional OOC games can fit in our schedule.  Recall that MAC added 2 more conference games.

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1