Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

'21-'22 Schedule

22 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

The rivalry continues between the Bonnies and Bulls this season and beyond. I’m interested to see what NBC streaming service is airing the game. I’d hate to yet again pay for another service just so I can watch them play. 

It will probably be on Peacock.  Despite that it may also end up on NBCSN, which will still exist then.  Prior to the Tour de France, it appear that the only way to watch the entire race would be behind a paywall on Peacock.  However, once it started every stage was available live on NBCSN.

On 9/2/2021 at 5:41 PM, ubmae86 said:

I kinda wish the UC Irvine game was out in LA, seeing as I live out here. Hopefully they'll play a home in home.

I also wouldn't mind seeing UB v USC or UCLA

UCI fan here.  UCI vs Buffalo looks like a great matchup from a basketball perspective.  UCI is playing a game in Akron vs Duquesne before they go to Buffalo.  I would be interested to see if this is a buy game or a home and home.  UCI usually allows themselves to be bought about 3 times per year to assist with paying the contracts for our quality coaches.   UCI is already being bought by USC and Santa Clara and perhaps others.   

Does Buffalo tend to buy games for 70K or more?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SoCalBrett said:

UCI fan here.  UCI vs Buffalo looks like a great matchup from a basketball perspective.  UCI is playing a game in Akron vs Duquesne before they go to Buffalo.  I would be interested to see if this is a buy game or a home and home.  UCI usually allows themselves to be bought about 3 times per year to assist with paying the contracts for our quality coaches.   UCI is already being bought by USC and Santa Clara and perhaps others.   

I doubt it's a buy game for us. Home and Home is more likely or just a convenient game that makes the travel worthwhile.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoCalBrett said:

Regardless of the circumstances I appreciate them coming here to play. It’s difficult for Buffalo to get quality out of conference opponents, especially at home. I know travel costs can add up but I’d love to see more home and homes with UCI type  programs 

Edited by UB05

On 9/9/2021 at 10:44 AM, UBinMD said:

I doubt it's a buy game for us. Home and Home is more likely or just a convenient game that makes the travel worthwhile.

UCI does not schedule a game for convenience only.  They are either getting cash or getting a return game.  I could see Buffalo coming out west for a game or two, or perhaps playing in a tournament in the West (Vegas, Oregon, So Cal Challenge in Orange County, etc.) and adding a game at UCI.  Or, they could come out and play UCI and get a buy game at a Pac 12.    

5 hours ago, SoCalBrett said:

UCI does not schedule a game for convenience only.  They are either getting cash or getting a return game.  I could see Buffalo coming out west for a game or two, or perhaps playing in a tournament in the West (Vegas, Oregon, So Cal Challenge in Orange County, etc.) and adding a game at UCI.  Or, they could come out and play UCI and get a buy game at a Pac 12.    

I would be on board with ether scenario. Buffalo isn’t afraid to travel or play anywhere. Unfortunately we usually just don’t get quality teams to come here, those teams see no upside and know they can lose (see Syracuse (in the Dome) and WVU (in West Virginia) to name a couple recent ones and they were on the road! Glad to see UCI coming in and look forward to a return game wherever that may be.

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I would be on board with ether scenario. Buffalo isn’t afraid to travel or play anywhere. Unfortunately we usually just don’t get quality teams to come here, those teams see no upside and know they can lose (see Syracuse (in the Dome) and WVU (in West Virginia) to name a couple recent ones and they were on the road! Glad to see UCI coming in and look forward to a return game wherever that may be.

That’s how it goes in college basketball. It’s not just Buffalo, almost all mid major teams suffer and don’t get that great of quality home games. Power 5 schools are afraid to hurt their resume and hide on their home court or in a neutral site game until conference play. The days of getting top 25 teams coming to Alumni like UNC in ‘99, Pitt in 2006, UCONN in 2008, or BYU in 2010 are far behind us.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

That’s how it goes in college basketball. It’s not just Buffalo, almost all mid major teams suffer and don’t get that great of quality home games. Power 5 schools are afraid to hurt their resume and hide on their home court or in a neutral site game until conference play. The days of getting top 25 teams coming to Alumni like UNC in ‘99, Pitt in 2006, UCONN in 2008, or BYU in 2010 are far behind us.

I don’t mind taking buy games at P5 schools. Hell pay us is how I see it. What I think we have been better at since Oats is getting into the MTEs. I think we can still get better at trying to schedule a home and home or 2-1 (2 road for a home) with other good mid majors. Anything to raise the profile of the school while playing top competition to boost our resume and metrics. And make some cash to reinvest into the program…sign me up. 

Last point, I think the MAC has to be better. The conference has continuously missed the boat on a conference vs conference event.

3 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

While not getting P5 schools, UCI should be a very exciting game...and with about 100 schools left who have not shared their complete schedule, Northern Iowa still appears to be a possibility, fingers crossed.  That would also be a very good home game.

11 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Last point, I think the MAC has to be better. The conference has continuously missed the boat on a conference vs conference event.

The MAC has no say.  All of the conference v. conference events are made for TV and promoted by ESPN.  What conference could the MAC play that would get people to watch in large numbers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

The MAC has no say.  All of the conference v. conference events are made for TV and promoted by ESPN.  What conference could the MAC play that would get people to watch in large numbers?

I’m sure cbssn would show the MAC vs the Mountain West. Idk. Heck everything is streamed now anyway who cares about tv exclusivity. Point is the conference was behind on this that now it may be too late. Should’ve already been done. Again the MAC sucks.

Fans won't like it, but my guess is any home games from this point out are probably going to be Non-DI.  If the report above is true and teams won't even buy us, we have no chance of starting a home and home in Buffalo.

This is shaping up to be one of our toughest schedules yet.