Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

'21-'22 Schedule

4 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

Fans won't like it, but my guess is any home games from this point out are probably going to be Non-DI.  If the report above is true and teams won't even buy us, we have no chance of starting a home and home in Buffalo.

This is shaping up to be one of our toughest schedules yet.

I can't imagine any P5 even wanting us to come to their home, really sad state of affairs, but if you are too good, you get shutout. I think that is why they have been targeting these tournaments.

2 hours ago, BullBoy said:

Fans won't like it, but my guess is any home games from this point out are probably going to be Non-DI.  If the report above is true and teams won't even buy us, we have no chance of starting a home and home in Buffalo.

This is shaping up to be one of our toughest schedules yet.

I never minded the D2 opponents, especially Daemon. It’s a good way for our younger players to get some game time and adjust to the system

2 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

I never minded the D2 opponents, especially Daemon. It’s a good way for our younger players to get some game time and adjust to the system

Agreed, but I don't want three of them. Does nothing for us and could actually hurt by getting guys in bad habits when they play overmatched opponents.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

This is an exciting set of games

This is what I’m at talking about! Great get. And great job getting a return game. There are plenty of solid mid major programs that we can play that by seasons end could be Q2 or better games. Just takes some forward thought predicting that team X will be good next season. As this tweet said…we aren’t the only solid mid major having trouble scheduling.

11 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

This is what I’m at talking about! Great get. And great job getting a return game. There are plenty of solid mid major programs that we can play that by seasons end could be Q2 or better games. Just takes some forward thought predicting that team X will be good next season. As this tweet said…we aren’t the only solid mid major having trouble scheduling.

This may need to be the way to start swaying the P5 collusion. Maybe have the MAC, CUSA, CAA, A-10 and a few others to develop some games between quality opponents with home-home, maybe with the same team or different teams from the same conference. Gotta be a better way.

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

This may need to be the way to start swaying the P5 collusion. Maybe have the MAC, CUSA, CAA, A-10 and a few others to develop some games between quality opponents with home-home, maybe with the same team or different teams from the same conference. Gotta be a better way.

This sounds good on paper, but it may hurt in trying to get additional bids.  The PAC-12 SWAC agreement for yesterday, sounds great.  But, what will it do for PAC-12 strength of schedule as the degenerate into a one or two bid conference?

2 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

This sounds good on paper, but it may hurt in trying to get additional bids.  The PAC-12 SWAC agreement for yesterday, sounds great.  But, what will it do for PAC-12 strength of schedule as the degenerate into a one or two bid conference?

I don't disagree, but between football and basketball, we seem to be getting shutout on any P5 people. Syracuse would rather play other MAC teams than us. It's a sorry state of affairs. Going to be able to move up without getting some true tough games that we can point to for recruits.

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

I don't disagree, but between football and basketball, we seem to be getting shutout on any P5 people. Syracuse would rather play other MAC teams than us. It's a sorry state of affairs. Going to be able to move up without getting some true tough games that we can point to for recruits.

Syracuse does not want to play us because there is nothing in it for them.  They win, they should have.  The lose and they are totally embarrassed, an ACC team losing to a MAC team.

If UMass had any talent, there is no way Boston College would ever play them.

25 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Syracuse does not want to play us because there is nothing in it for them.  They win, they should have.  The lose and they are totally embarrassed, an ACC team losing to a MAC team.

UMass used to be a solid club. Remember Marcus Camby?

Syracuse seems to play Western Michigan, Ohio I believe in the past (and this year in football).

2 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

They were a solid club like 25+ years ago though, before it crashed and burned when Calipari left. 

I was at UB when UMass came to town and they beat our ass pretty good. It was our first or second year of D1. I was at UB 1990-1995, so take that for what it's worth 😂

32 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I was at UB when UMass came to town and they beat our ass pretty good. It was our first or second year of D1. I was at UB 1990-1995, so take that for what it's worth 😂

I loved listening to this one even with the L, the UMASS radio call of the game. Back then I was in HS and knew all the UMASS players, nothing about UB. No wonder why as UB trotted out Roets and Genaway. Modie had to do so much. Years later, Calipari recalled great memories of Buffalo's food and weather, before we played Kentucky. 

https://soundcloud.com/user-125347718/umass-buffalo-02181993

13 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

I loved listening to this one even with the L, the UMASS radio call of the game. Back then I was in HS and knew all the UMASS players, nothing about UB. No wonder why as UB trotted out Roets and Genaway. Modie had to do so much. Years later, Calipari recalled great memories of Buffalo's food and weather, before we played Kentucky. 

https://soundcloud.com/user-125347718/umass-buffalo-02181993

Modie Cox, blast from the past. Chris Roets lived in my dorm when we were both freshmen.

On 9/21/2021 at 3:37 PM, BrooklynBull said:

While I agree with your premise, I attribute Syracuse’s reluctance to play UB solely because of their Prima Donna coach, Jim Boeheim. The man can dish it out, but has the thinnest skin of all time. Look at their history of cupcake competition before conference play. He’s a great coach, but a whiner. 

As for BC vs UMASS: BC and UMass play yearly in a matchup better known as the "Commonwealth Classic."  Started in 1906, the Eagles and Minutemen have faced each other 44 times with the good guys leading the series 26-18. Last year the event was held at the Garden and was won by BC 76-71, the 10th time the Eagles had won since 2000. (This was as of 2011. Bear in mind that BC played UMASS both years that Dr J played for UMASS. They split those games.)

Didn’t we play there against Colorado State in the NIT?

But these are two quality matchups. I love it. As much as we want home games, I love the mentality of going on the road. We know this team has the athletic ability now let’s get battle tested. Love when quality mid majors take some power back and battle one another. Our schedule is shaping up to be an strong one. Build that mental toughness for MAC play. 

• Like 1