Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

'21-'22 Schedule

39 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I like both of these games (potential Quad II).  I am guessing that the last two games to be added to schedule will be of quad 3/4 variety.  With these games here is projection of Quad 1/2 (assuming we earn the right to face St. Louis in Cancun).  While schedule is coming together rather late - I think patience was a virtue in this case.  Looking over other MAC schedules - Ohio's is comparable.  Ohio and Buffalo are clearly top in MAC basketball this year.

image.png.6e3c2fd7876114e2a3a9c822a7f5cc65.png

12 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I like both of these games (potential Quad II).  I am guessing that the last two games to be added to schedule will be of quad 3/4 variety.  With these games here is projection of Quad 1/2 (assuming we earn the right to face St. Louis in Cancun).  While schedule is coming together rather late - I think patience was a virtue in this case.  Looking over other MAC schedules - Ohio's is comparable.  Ohio and Buffalo are clearly top in MAC basketball this year.

image.png.6e3c2fd7876114e2a3a9c822a7f5cc65.png

My guess is they will go the Non-D1 route.  This doesn't affect your NET so really in turn they are better for your at large chances than hosting a Q3/Q4 game.

13 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

My guess is they will go the Non-D1 route.  This doesn't affect your NET so really in turn they are better for your at large chances than hosting a Q3/Q4 game.

3 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

so far 9 OOC games scheduled, 2 true home games. Not bad, not great. 

I think the 2 home games thus far suggest maybe only 1 Non-D1...but that's my opinion/hope.

What do people think it would take for consideration for at large, win 6/7 out of 10 of quad 1/2?

14 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I think the 2 home games thus far suggest maybe only 1 Non-D1...but that's my opinion/hope.

What do people think it would take for consideration for at large, win 6/7 out of 10 of quad 1/2?

A lot of this is going to depend on how good the MAC is.  The year we were ranked and an at-large shoe in, those road wins at Toledo and Akron were Q1 games. So the league helped us a bit.  We need that again from the rest of the MAC.

14 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

A lot of this is going to depend on how good the MAC is.  The year we were ranked and an at-large shoe in, those road wins at Toledo and Akron were Q1 games. So the league helped us a bit.  We need that again from the rest of the MAC.

What made us a definite at large was beating WV and Syracuse and just about everyone else.  We were 7-3 quad 2 or better that year.  So...on that one observation maybe 6-4 puts us close...asuming we take care of quad 3/4 games and make it to MAC conference finals.  Not an easy task to say the least.  That is why that last Oats year was so special.

1 hour ago, ChubbyHubby said:

A third OOC home game.  St. John Fisher on 12/11

I’m having trouble getting my enthusiasm up for this one. I see they were 11-2 last year before getting stomped by Utica College to end their season. I guess you take what you can get at this point.

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

I’m having trouble getting my enthusiasm up for this one. I see they were 11-2 last year before getting stomped by Utica College to end their season. I guess you take what you can get at this point.

Again, I know this is unpopular, but its really the only route to go so this team doesn't have to stay on the road for two straight months.

Look could we bring a team like Coppin State in, probably, but our NET would go down as it would be a Q4 game and we probably have to pay them about $40K more than a non-DI team. 

This makes the most sense from both a NET standpoint and a financial standpoint.

By my accounting the OOC schedules are more or less set for the MAC.  All but three teams that have put forth full 11 game schedule. (Buffalo 10 games), Miami OH (8 games) and Ohio (10 games).  Our OOC schedule is the toughest in the MAC (per Barttorvik.com) and hopefully has us battle tested come MAC opening tip-off.  Here is summary.  Note I tried to slot in probable opponent for teams participating in a MTE.

image.png.0ec61c1c112f3a22c7682a95d644736d.png

Bowling Green appears to have the weakest OOC schedule - and I wouldn't be surprised if they head into conference play with only 1 or 2 losses.

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, FordTime35 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpVju2g3_WU

Nice insight for the upcoming season by Coach Whitesell 

Don't know who the interviewer is but has an interview with whitesell and Frank Martin with only 18 subscribers

Solid listen though

Most interesting part to me was whitesell mentioning curtis jones, said he was excited about his progress. Other than that he really only spoke about segu williams and mballa 

On 9/23/2021 at 8:25 PM, DocCas86 said:

By my accounting the OOC schedules are more or less set for the MAC.  All but three teams that have put forth full 11 game schedule. (Buffalo 10 games), Miami OH (8 games) and Ohio (10 games).  Our OOC schedule is the toughest in the MAC (per Barttorvik.com) and hopefully has us battle tested come MAC opening tip-off.  Here is summary.  Note I tried to slot in probable opponent for teams participating in a MTE.

image.png.0ec61c1c112f3a22c7682a95d644736d.png

Bowling Green appears to have the weakest OOC schedule - and I wouldn't be surprised if they head into conference play with only 1 or 2 losses. 

Update: Miami OH completed its schedule by adding three non-D1 games.  It would appear that Buffalo and Ohio have one game yet to schedule (non-D1 as well?).  A question - with just about every MAC team having 1-2 non-D1 opponents - would this suggest MAC should go to 22 game conference schedule?  Curious what others think.

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

…  A question - with just about every MAC team having 1-2 non-D1 opponents - would this suggest MAC should go to 22 game conference schedule?  Curious what others think.

Most years half the conference has multiple non-D1 opponents.  Sometimes up to four such games.  Those schools might not want to change.   

2 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

If buffalo and Ohio are having difficulty finding one last solid game, what would stop them from playing each other? Especially in a year they only play once in conference 

It's not a horrible idea, except my guess is the game would have to be in Athens since Ohio already plays here and my guess is UB is looking for a home game since they don't really have any.

When all is said and done, I think it is going to be two non-D1s.

I do think the 22 game schedule is a better idea and then this schedule would be done.

12 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Update: Miami OH completed its schedule by adding three non-D1 games. 

This is pathetic. I understand not wanting to pay a quad 4 team for the home game but man up. This should not be allowed. It’s cheap, pathetic and playing not to lose. Glorified exhibition games in which only bad habits can come from. Either pay a team for a home or take a beat down on the road for a payday. 

13 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

This is pathetic. I understand not wanting to pay a quad 4 team for the home game but man up. This should not be allowed. It’s cheap, pathetic and playing not to lose. Glorified exhibition games in which only bad habits can come from. Either pay a team for a home or take a beat down on the road for a payday. 

They are only hurting themselves. Their resume is bad, so their chances are getting even the NIT are slim even if they have a great record and lose the conference championship.