Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

'21-'22 Schedule

3 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

They are only hurting themselves. Their resume is bad, so their chances are getting even the NIT are slim even if they have a great record and lose the conference championship.

It’s also another case where the conference has to step in and say guys we can’t have this. This doesn’t raise or elevate the conference profile. 

18 hours ago, Chet said:

I am disappointed we haven’t scheduled Alabama. Disappointed that Coach Oats and his team will not be coming to Alumni this year. There was probably about a 0% chance that would happen, but I was hoping.

That should have been negotiated with his buyout.

15 hours ago, FordTime35 said:

https://twitter.com/UBmenshoops/status/1443656664327106562

First fall practice. Excited to hear good things about Brewton!

Yes..you know what to expect from Williams Mballa Segu and Hardnett..  Players like Brewton, Jack,  Skogman and possibly Curtis will likely determine just how successful this team will be.

Edited by DocCas86

11 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Yes..you know what to expect from Williams Mballa Segu and Hartnett..  Players like Brewton, Jack,  Skogman and possibly Curtis will likely determine just how successful this team will be.

Jack is already an established starter in his career, he will be in the starting 5 for sure. And Brewton should be getting big minutes. It’s an exciting year.

12 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Yes..you know what to expect from Williams Mballa Segu and Hartnett..  Players like Brewton, Jack,  Skogman and possibly Curtis will likely determine just how successful this team will be.

Curtis will be key. We really missed having a backup or second point guard last season. Someone who can spell Segu and/or be used on the court at the same time. Just look to our tbt team and the teams under Oats…and you’ll find use of multiple PGs.

56 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Curtis will be key. We really missed having a backup or second point guard last season. Someone who can spell Segu and/or be used on the court at the same time. Just look to our tbt team and the teams under Oats…and you’ll find use of multiple PGs.

Honestly I see Mading getting playing time at SF. He’s extremely athletic, a great shot blocker and would create a nightmare matchup with some of the league’s smaller SF’s. I can see him being a factor off the bench

1 hour ago, Dabulls said:

Honestly I see Mading getting playing time at SF. He’s extremely athletic, a great shot blocker and would create a nightmare matchup with some of the league’s smaller SF’s. I can see him being a factor off the bench

I think Mading’s size is going to be an issue with him potentially being a liability on defense. I could be wrong of course, but he may get pushed around down low a bit due to being severely lanky, and struggle against some heavier players. I’m not sure how he’s going to fair. Time will tell though.

On 9/28/2021 at 10:38 AM, Tee4three said:

If buffalo and Ohio are having difficulty finding one last solid game, what would stop them from playing each other? Especially in a year they only play once in conference 

On 9/28/2021 at 10:42 AM, BullBoy said:

It's not a horrible idea, except my guess is the game would have to be in Athens since Ohio already plays here and my guess is UB is looking for a home game since they don't really have any.

When all is said and done, I think it is going to be two non-D1s.

I do think the 22 game schedule is a better idea and then this schedule would be done.

First my apologies in advance to those who came to see if announcement on final two (Non-D1) opponents.  

I am sure this idea will never happen, and millions of reasons why at that, but a totally off the wall idea...make the MAC conference game against Ohio in November and we play a non-conference game @ Ohio when we were supposed to play the conference game...Scheduling problem solved...you are welcome, 😆.

Sorry eagerly anticipating last bit of news on schedule and start of season...and while a non-conference road game is potentially a be careful what you wish for...as a fan, I would love a second game with Ohio.

12 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

This has got to be the latest the Bulls have been to try and finish the OOC schedule in recent memory. Usually the schedule is set by mid-late September, and here we are almost a week in October and still struggling to finish the schedule. 

My guess is they are trying to exhaust ever D1 option before settling on the second non D1 game. 

I believe the Twitter account is called D1 Docket but they do a good job of schedule announcements and have a website showing what teams still haven’t announced schedules. I think we are about one of 30

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BullBoy said:

My guess is they are trying to exhaust ever D1 option before settling on the second non D1 game. 

I believe the Twitter account is called D1 Docket but they do a good job of schedule announcements and have a website showing what teams still haven’t announced schedules. I think we are about one of 30

Barttorvik.com uses the D1 docket data to summarize schedules which can be used to get # of OOC games by team.  It is not complete as it does not include TBD games in early season tournaments and missing some Non-D1 games.  Based on this information there are very few options.  As you said only 28 eams left including Buffalo and Ohio.

11 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Barttorvik.com uses the D1 docket data to summarize schedules which can be used to get # of OOC games by team.  It is not complete as it does not include TBD games in early season tournaments and missing some Non-D1 games.  Based on this information there are very few options.  As you said only 28 eams left including Buffalo and Ohio.

Correct.. I saw this document: https://d1docket.blogspot.com/p/2021-22-docket-sheet.html

If you take out the MEAC and SWAC teams, which really don't do us any good from a NET standpoint and the teams we are already playing, you are correct in that there are very few options.

Hartford, Merrimack, and Colgate are all intriguing options to me.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

Correct.. I saw this document: https://d1docket.blogspot.com/p/2021-22-docket-sheet.html

If you take out the MEAC and SWAC teams, which really don't do us any good from a NET standpoint and the teams we are already playing, you are correct in that there are very few options.

Intriguing options and preferable to non-D1. Fingers crossed some news soon.

7 hours ago, BullBoy said:

Forget Hartford.  They are in a huge turmoil. They are dropping to Division III over money and are in open revolt against the President. So ho knows if they will even try to play.

23 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Forget Hartford.  They are in a huge turmoil. They are dropping to Division III over money and are in open revolt against the President. So ho knows if they will even try to play.

Now I am happy they announced their schedule today and we weren't on it.

12 hours ago, BullBoy said:

Since Hartford removed from this list - spending some time - another team that does not look like they have finalized schedule (no official announcement on team website) is Eastern Kentucky, BT rank of 144 would be a quad III game.    Hoping we hear something by end of the week.

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Since Hartford removed from this list - spending some time - another team that does not look like they have finalized schedule (no official announcement on team website) is Eastern Kentucky, BT rank of 144 would be a quad III game.    Hoping we hear something by end of the week.

Ub assistant Brendan Foley was an assistant for the head coach of Eastern Kentucky in junior college

Also they play a very interesting/entertaining style. Would be a good match for our young guards and team learning how to handle pressure

• Like 1

I did a quick look around the league to see how many non-D1 games teams were playing.  The East surprised me

Akron - 2

BG - 2

Kent - 2

Miami - 3

Ohio - 1

I think this goes to the point that scheduling for teams who are supposed to be good this season like Akron, Kent, BG is very hard.  Akron and Kent are both playing an NAIA school called Point Park that in most years plays 3-4 D1 opponents.

For the West:

Ball State - 1

CMU - 0

EMU - 1

WMU - 3

Toledo -1

NIU - 0

The three schools with new head coaches (CMU, EMU, NIU) playing a total of one non-D1 opponent.  They have a much easier time scheduling because team's don't mind buying those opponents and getting what they consider easy wins.

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Stumbled across the not so secret scrimmage list:

https://watchstadium.com/not-so-secret-list-of-2021-college-basketball-scrimmages-10-15-2021/

We are playing at Colgate on 10/23 - I was hoping for this to be an actual OOC game - but this should be an excellent tune-up for the regular season.

Beat to the punch. I came on to post that. Good stuff @DocCas86 First action for the boys, hope everyone stays healthy and they get some good coachable moments. 

Was looking at my football tix and saw this listed as well.

image.thumb.png.09e3cddd18a51dbfa68f39e86fe2d7ec.png

WBB has an exhibition against Daemen on 11/4, and MBB (presumably) had an un-announced exhibition that day as well.

Went to the Daemen MBB schedule to see if it was against them and they do have the exhibition listed

image.thumb.png.1edc35673920e4ce46ac19cd23cfb19c.png

Edited by trueblue32
  • Thanks 1