Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

'21-'22 Schedule

46 minutes ago, squire17 said:

I just looked at the schedule. It sucks.

I disagree, KenPom Tier A/B games serve as a decent proxy for Q1/Q2 games on an NCAA resume. We have 2 A tier and 2 B tier games as of now with the potential of playing Saint Louis as a likely B tier, possible A tier game. We also have two spots still open on the schedule.

It lacks the P5 names but that’s the price of recent success. This is the best schedule imo we’ve been able to put together since we were Top 25.

I also think the UC Irvine and the return WKU games are the most interesting home games (non-con/non-Big4) since probably South Dakota St in 2014

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

I disagree, KenPom Tier A/B games serve as a decent proxy for Q1/Q2 games on an NCAA resume. We have 2 A tier and 2 B tier games as of now with the potential of playing Saint Louis as a likely B tier, possible A tier game. We also have two spots still open on the schedule.

It lacks the P5 names but that’s the price of recent success. This is the best schedule imo we’ve been able to put together since we were Top 25.

I also think the UC Irvine and the return WKU games are the most interesting home games (non-con/non-Big4) since probably South Dakota St in 2014

I like the schedule.  With respect to open spots on schedule, I think only one game remains to be mentioned, as we have game with a non-D1 opponent St John Fisher 12/11.  Any guesses on the other game?  Seems only eleven more D1 programs other than UB have yet to release their final schedule.  South Alabama is only team I have determined who has not released a schedule.  Thinking we will know soon.

Edited by DocCas86

10 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I like the schedule.  With respect to open spots on schedule, I think only one game remains to be mentioned, as we have game with a non-D1 opponent St John Fisher 12/11.  Any guesses on the other game?  Seems only eleven more D1 programs other than UB have yet to release their final schedule.  South Alabama is only team I have determined who has not released a schedule.  Thinking we will know soon.

I like the schedule as well, I just wish we could have added some more. 

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I like the schedule as well, I just wish we could have added some more. 

Agree would have been nice to have a bit better schedule at home, but we generally ended up with one non-D1 game and mostly quad IVs in the past.  It will be a little disappointing if we have two non-D1 as home games in the end, but seems like they are trying hardest to secure one more D1 game.  Overall, the road games and Cancun will challenge this team, in my opinion, prepare the team well for the regular season.  Here is a summary assuming that we do get a quad IV for the one unknown game:

image.png.a4cb50e7f401ae96b98e58a1f83e6088.png

Edited by DocCas86

Overall a fine schedule in terms of competition....Michigan and Bona ranked opponents, plus UNT and WKU for some solid mid-major opposition on the road.

Only 2 non-con D-1 opponents at Alumni though?  Don't get me wrong, UC-Irvine should be a fun one, but two home games is kinda disappointing.

1 hour ago, UBlearns said:

Overall a fine schedule in terms of competition....Michigan and Bona ranked opponents, plus UNT and WKU for some solid mid-major opposition on the road.

Only 2 non-con D-1 opponents at Alumni though?  Don't get me wrong, UC-Irvine should be a fun one, but two home games is kinda disappointing.

I get from a fan perspective two non-D1 home games is not ideal.  However, if it is as someone else indicated, it is better for net rankings to have two non-D1 than two quad 4 games...I guess with backdrop of giving team best shot of possible at large, I will live with it.  I confess I don't understand how the net rankings work out better this way.  Maybe try to look on bright side, it will afford an opportunity for some of the freshman a chance to get some playing time and the fans to get a glimpse at the future.

25 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

… two non-D1 home games is not ideal…

Agreed, who is PPU?

27 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

…  I confess I don't understand how the net rankings work out better this way…

Maybe they don’t?   I think all that was said is that they @wanted to understand@ how things worked for the better.   

40 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I get from a fan perspective two non-D1 home games is not ideal.  However, if it is as someone else indicated, it is better for net rankings to have two non-D1 than two quad 4 games...I guess with backdrop of giving team best shot of possible at large, I will live with it.

I rather play Quad 4 games at home and be tested than play glorified exhibition games. That’s just my opinion. If we fancy ourselves to be a good team we should win home games against Q4 teams. I get all the pros of playing Point Park but it’s Point Park. 

8 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I rather play Quad 4 games at home and be tested than play glorified exhibition games. That’s just my opinion. If we fancy ourselves to be a good team we should win home games against Q4 teams. I get all the pros of playing Point Park but it’s Point Park. 

I agree 100%, I would rather have seen them schedule two quad 4 games.  I was trying to look for a silver lining.  I think even people involved with team would have preferred. My hope is they did spend the last few weeks trying to find someone other than Point Park.   I think announcing on Friday afternoon shows they aren't thrilled with adding two non-D1s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

We literally couldn’t get home games. That’s why it’s taken until the end of October to announce. Nothing more. 

We have gotten to the point we are good enough to threaten the top teams no matter where they play, but not at a point where it is a big TV draw or will bring a large crowd. We need to keep the upward trajectory and hopefully in 4-5 years we can be considered a draw and a benefit for top tier teams to play.

Putting aside the two non-D1 games, this is a very tough OOC schedule.  The team has been challenged!  BT has us ranked 82 and would project a 4-5 record in D1 OOC games.  My guess is a minimum of 6-3 would be needed for an at large consideration.  Honestly my expectation is a modest 5-4 but I would love to be proven wrong.  

The team will get its first read today at Colgate.  Would love to be a fly on the wall for today's scrimmage.

How many OOC teams ranked in top 100 did UB schedule since the 2011-2012 season?

2012- 4 Witherspoon

2013-4 Witherspoon

2014- 2 Hurley

2015- 2 Hurley

2016- 5 Oats

2017- 5 Oats

2018- 5 Oats

2019- 4 Oats

2020- 2 Whitesell

2021- 2 Whitesell

2022- 3 Whitesell

So, after Hurley led the team to the promised land and then split for greener pastures in a desert, the big boys played us more frequently. According to the oft stated presumption, our success should have led to fewer games against the better teams. Just the opposite occurred. If that isn’t paradoxical, I don’t know what is. But immediately after Oats left, we dropped the number of top teams. This year’s schedule sucks. UB has no interest in the big time. Just muddle along.

25 minutes ago, squire17 said:

How many OOC teams ranked in top 100 did UB schedule since the 2011-2012 season?

2012- 4 Witherspoon

2013-4 Witherspoon

2014- 2 Hurley

2015- 2 Hurley

2016- 5 Oats

2017- 5 Oats

2018- 5 Oats

2019- 4 Oats

2020- 2 Whitesell

2021- 2 Whitesell

2022- 3 Whitesell

So, after Hurley led the team to the promised land and then split for greener pastures in a desert, the big boys played us more frequently. According to the oft stated presumption, our success should have led to fewer games against the better teams. Just the opposite occurred. If that isn’t paradoxical, I don’t know what is. But immediately after Oats left, we dropped the number of top teams. This year’s schedule sucks. UB has no interest in the big time. Just muddle along.

Please give us some background on your scheduling abilities. You need to apply ASAP. 

42 minutes ago, squire17 said:

2012- 4 Witherspoon

2013-4 Witherspoon

2014- 2 Hurley

2015- 2 Hurley

2016- 5 Oats

2017- 5 Oats

2018- 5 Oats

2019- 4 Oats

2020- 2 Whitesell

2021- 2 Whitesell

2022- 3 Whitesell

Hurley won 0 P5 games. While you view a 12 seed as the “promised land” that’s really not concerning to a P6 team. We also had 0 track record of maintaining that year after year. ‘19 is the first year we beat 2 P6s, ‘20 we beat 1 P6. ‘21 was a short COVID year, meh.

Edit: also the most likely Cancun 2nd game is top 100 Saint Louis, and Id bet on UCI finishing top 100

Edited by trueblue32

34 minutes ago, squire17 said:

2012- 4 Witherspoon

2013-4 Witherspoon

2014- 2 Hurley

2015- 2 Hurley

2016- 5 Oats

2017- 5 Oats

2018- 5 Oats

2019- 4 Oats

2020- 2 Whitesell

2021- 2 Whitesell

2022- 3 Whitesell

A couple of things...likely they will end up with four games this year in top 100, if they get St. Louis, so difference is not as significant.  UCI is close to top 100 (about 110) at home.  UNT is a challenging road game.   So not as big as difference from an Oats era schedule as your comment would imply.

11 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Please give us some background on your scheduling abilities. You need to apply ASAP. 

Who was the AD when Oats was the coach? Check out how he did it. Even go back to when Reggie was coach. Michigan we got because of Manuel. Bona is recurring. No idea about WK…is Bearden in their employ? But that’s it? Are you kidding me? Your’e satisfied with that? What a joke.