Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

All 130 FBS teams ranked

Your UB Bulls come in at #61, Tops in the MAC. Two of our opponents, Akron and BGSU, are #130 & #129. ODU is #113.

I don't know how good we'll be after this off-season of turmoil but our schedule is favorable. A bowl bid should be in reach.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/college-football-rankings-2021-season-alabama-clemson-ohio-state-oklahoma-all-130-fbs-teams-167632109/

• Like 2

Did you see the article about Kansas' new scandal? Apparently paid off a previous player being bullied by other players who were supposedly dealing drugs under less Miles. That program is a true dumpster file.

On another note, the MAC is not represented well in this ranking system, ouch! Hopefully we can play well this year and keep on the uptrend. A winning season and this coaching staff could provide a special 2022 class.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, had the pleasure of speaking with two of the players today and I’ll give a quick rundown of my questions for them and their general responses. 

1. on how Linguist and the coaching staff are doing: they seem to love the staff, linguist in particular. Practices have been tough and competitive but fair. They believe the staff will do a great job as the season rolls around. 

2. Shape of the team: Both believe the team is just as strong as last season and are convinced they can upset Nebraska and Coastal, both will be tough but they’re confident. They also believe that even with the transfers, they have depth to cover the losses. Both expect a few true freshman to get some game time, especially WR Jamari Gasset, was compared to Nunn in ability to catch balls. Another player they believe could come in and contribute is Juco WR Chandler Baker, said he had incredible speed and route running ability. 

3. concerns: while confident they seemed to talk about the OL when I brought up their worries. Especially the Center position, they did not have a true backup center last season and will have to rely on a non true center to take the job, Bence Polgar was the consensus belief for new center. Still with a possible inexperienced group of OL’s they believe they will get the job done, the OC and strength coach have pushed them really hard. 

4. on new players (transfers, not freshman): the CB we got from Texas tech should be an instant starter same with Josh Rodgers, the D-linemen, forgot where he came from. The WR from Eastern will take Wilson’s spot as our deep threat. Both said the JUCO guys especially Tra Wilkins, could be instant contributors. 

general thoughts by myself: I love the optimism from these two guys, they also told me the rest of the team feels the same. I’m not worried or believe that this is going to be a reset year, as few may think. They generally feel like we are going to take off from where we left last season, one of the top dogs in the MAC. 

we did have in depth talks about other factors/situations and please let me know what you would like to hear as a fan base. I have connections with few of the players. 1 special teams player, a new WR and a returning readshirt WR. They are willing to talk to me because they’re my friends and I personally know them outside of their college football careers 

appreciate it if you read this far, sorry for any spelling or grammar errors

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Dabulls said:

Hello everyone, had the pleasure of speaking with two of the players today and I’ll give a quick rundown of my questions for them and their general responses. 

1. on how Linguist and the coaching staff are doing: they seem to love the staff, linguist in particular. Practices have been tough and competitive but fair. They believe the staff will do a great job as the season rolls around. 

2. Shape of the team: Both believe the team is just as strong as last season and are convinced they can upset Nebraska and Coastal, both will be tough but they’re confident. They also believe that even with the transfers, they have depth to cover the losses. Both expect a few true freshman to get some game time, especially WR Jamari Gasset, was compared to Nunn in ability to catch balls. Another player they believe could come in and contribute is Juco WR Chandler Baker, said he had incredible speed and route running ability. 

3. concerns: while confident they seemed to talk about the OL when I brought up their worries. Especially the Center position, they did not have a true backup center last season and will have to rely on a non true center to take the job, Bence Polgar was the consensus belief for new center. Still with a possible inexperienced group of OL’s they believe they will get the job done, the OC and strength coach have pushed them really hard. 

4. on new players (transfers, not freshman): the CB we got from Texas tech should be an instant starter same with Josh Rodgers, the D-linemen, forgot where he came from. The WR from Eastern will take Wilson’s spot as our deep threat. Both said the JUCO guys especially Tra Wilkins, could be instant contributors. 

general thoughts by myself: I love the optimism from these two guys, they also told me the rest of the team feels the same. I’m not worried or believe that this is going to be a reset year, as few may think. They generally feel like we are going to take off from where we left last season, one of the top dogs in the MAC. 

we did have in depth talks about other factors/situations and please let me know what you would like to hear as a fan base. I have connections with few of the players. 1 special teams player, a new WR and a returning readshirt WR. They are willing to talk to me because they’re my friends and I personally know them outside of their college football careers 

Thanks for the updates, really good to hear the confidence. That means the staff is getting these guys in the right mindset. Also, when you hear incoming players as possible starters and contributors that also boosts the teams attitude that they can continue to be better. No surprise on the OL front. Those losses were a gut punch for sure. Sad to hear the LL regime didn’t have a true backup. Seems shortsighted for injury, etc. Hopefully Fusak abd Klenk can instill confidence and be the leaders to bring the others along. Our new OL coach has a lot of experience so I’m sure he will get a solid unit pulled together. Looking forward to hearing more updates.

14 hours ago, Dabulls said:

Any word on special teams? Who is kicking for us?

3 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Any word on special teams? Who is kicking for us?

We did talk special teams as well, from what I hear it they have a ton of plays and schemes under the new coordinator. He’s been harping on blocking punts, field goals and being more aggressive on kickoffs

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

We did talk special teams as well, from what I hear it they have a ton of plays and schemes under the new coordinator. He’s been harping on blocking punts, field goals and being more aggressive on kickoffs

It helps to have a coach that will actually focus on that group. What was happening before? Did the special teams guys just hang out in the corner and then got 15 minutes of attention from someone at the end of practice?

It's nice to see UB ranked at the top of the MAC, however this league (especially the East) is pretty poorly ranked. There's no reason that this school should ever fall out of bowl bids based on the investments they've made, combined with the ineptitude of their divisional opponents.

MAC EAST:

UB 64

Ohio 100

Kent 108

Miami 113

Akron 126

BG 128

That's pretty lowly competition. 4-1 should be the absolute minimum yearly. UB is given a 72% chance to win the East and 42% overall. This league surely doesn't strike fear in it's opponents. 

1 minute ago, UBinMD said:

9.4-3.4 projected record? That's solid. 99% probability of 6 wins. Obviously some people aren't thinking we are losing a step. Can't wait to see the product on the field.

It's hard to lose a step when your divisional opponents are as bad as those listed above. Not one of those 5 are outside of the bottom 25% of D-1, with UB sitting right at the 50th percentile.

3 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

It's nice to see UB ranked at the top of the MAC, however this league (especially the East) is pretty poorly ranked. There's no reason that this school should ever fall out of bowl bids based on the investments they've made, combined with the ineptitude of their divisional opponents.

MAC EAST:

UB 64

Ohio 100

Kent 108

Miami 113

Akron 126

BG 128

That's pretty lowly competition. 4-1 should be the absolute minimum yearly. UB is given a 72% chance to win the East and 42% overall. This league surely doesn't strike fear in it's opponents. 

It's hard to lose a step when your divisional opponents are as bad as those listed above. Not one of those 5 are outside of the bottom 25% of D-1, with UB sitting right at the 50th percentile.

I guess we need 5-10 years of Boise St level of success and then maybe a new conference will come calling. With the new playoff expansion, I figure it will take a few years for that fallout to settle. 

30 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I guess we need 5-10 years of Boise St level of success and then maybe a new conference will come calling. With the new playoff expansion, I figure it will take a few years for that fallout to settle. 

At "64", we are quite a ways away from the Boise state level of success. 

10 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

True and certainly a ways to go, but better than an inaugural MAC team that is 2 from the bottom after 50-60 years?

I'd be curious to know (it's probably out there and someone on here likely has some numbers) what the annual budgets are for football between UB and MAC counterparts. Also, how much $$ from donors has gone into football in recent years. I am pretty confident that UB has improved their program most in recent years vs MAC opponents on the latter section. UB has added a new football fieldhouse (yes a few here will say it's for all sports, but it's a football fieldhouse), locker room, recovery room, offices, nutrition station and surely more. While it's probably low end conpared to the "big schools", they have to be on the higher end of the non-monster schools. Hopefully "64" and "61" will be the low bar moving forward as the investment has been there (at least in my mind). 

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

9.4-3.4 projected record? That's solid. 99% probability of 6 wins. Obviously some people aren't thinking we are losing a step. Can't wait to see the product on the field.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2021/07/bowl-projections-college-football-playoff-predictions-preseason-preview-2021

Independence Bowl in Shreveport vs Troy. 

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I'd be curious to know (it's probably out there and someone on here likely has some numbers) what the annual budgets are for football between UB and MAC counterparts. Also, how much $$ from donors has gone into football in recent years. I am pretty confident that UB has improved their program most in recent years vs MAC opponents on the latter section. UB has added a new football fieldhouse (yes a few here will say it's for all sports, but it's a football fieldhouse), locker room, recovery room, offices, nutrition station and surely more. While it's probably low end conpared to the "big schools", they have to be on the higher end of the non-monster schools. Hopefully "64" and "61" will be the low bar moving forward as the investment has been there (at least in my mind). 

I wish I could remember where I saw this article but it ranked football budgets for all FBS schools. I was shocked to see the MAC pretty much last on spending as a conference. Even the Sun Belt spent more.