Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Is Conference roulette about to begin again?

UB77

On 7/21/2021 at 7:09 PM, UB77 said:

I'll start it off and speculate that the University of Houston fights to get into the Big 12 and the AAC then looks to Buffalo.

Or not...

It seems the OU and UT move will be sooner than expected.  Not sure who the Big12 will look to, but if it is the AAC I would expect UB to get a look...whether that results in an invitation is another story.  

I would 1000% endorse a move to the AAC.  

Ahh, 10 years on and once again so many are distracted by realignment. I didn't even notice the Olympic Opening Ceremonies...why do that when I could read football reactions on twitter and message board?

There is so little information this early on with the exception of the actual UT/OU actions coming along fast. Is it true KU and ISU are set to talk to the Big10? Maybe, as the same iffy tweet on it are being picked up by media. But of course all the teams have to make calls, and based on the Big 12/AAC fan boards, they are all in good hands because their leaders are "looking out for them and will not let them down." Just wait when they do let some fans down. I especially love how realignment talks go on at the very highest levels but they find sources and talk to anon AD's who say things like Cincinnati and UCF won't move the needle (a Big 12 AD), or Big 12 schools would not move the needle (an ACC AD). So do they think there are other UT's and OU's out there, and only those move the needle? It is like everyone thinks their school deserves to be in the best conference, playing the top 10 teams, and making $40+ a year in TV money. Humility is in short order these days.

• Like 1

I live in Texas these days and every school here thinks that they would be a great get for the SEC or PAC. Even Rice.

It's like watching the NHL draft and every player mentioned on day 2 "...could have been a first round pick".

From a Rice University fan discussion board.

"... Not much about the AAC has changed in the past few years: it's all the same arguments about markets (not enough fans) and quality (few tick the athletic boxes, fewer tick the academic ones, and none really hit both). If we are fixated on the actions of the B1G, PAC, and ACC, and we know the first two are at least playing hard to get with the XII leftovers, what chance do the traditional candidates from the AAC and MWC have of attracting a major bid? It's not a lot of thought to find that the XII remnants have few apparent options except to stick together, and the XII is likely the ceiling for the traditional candidates from the AAC and MWC. When the writer dismisses all the traditional candidates, and a significant portion of them are disqualified over academics, they've gotta reach for a curveball proposal to hit word counts. If the PAC and B1G wants academics, well, here's Rice, Kansas, Tulane, and Buffalo. Do with them as you will."

https://csnbbs.com/thread-925473-post-17521571.html#pid17521571

5 hours ago, promotherobot said:

ESPN being accused of sabotage.

ESPN allegedly working to move three schools to the AAC.  My guess is Baylor, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.  Kansas probably not likely in the three because of small TV market and horrible football.  Also saw some rumors that Kansas is looking to go to the ACC.  That would be a better fit for them.  The ACC is the last of the basketball conferences.  Their football is Clemson and nobody else.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/texas-oklahoma-formally-request-sec-membership-beginning-in-2025-after-announcing-big-12-departure/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are rumors that the Big 12 will look to BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF to join. Assuming this is true and they take 3 AAC teams, do you think we will get an invite?  I think that without them, the AAC will definitely still be a step above the MAC.  Of course depends on who else they would add assuming they would want replace them all.

Edited by Gxtrex
  • Like 1

I'm surprised that USF was not a partner with UCF to the Big 12. I live in Houston these days and UofH is hoping that the recent rumors will speed up the whole conference reshuffle. Rice University would love the AAC, but I'm not sure that they are all that attractive to the AAC. Some other CUSA teams will certainly be sniffing around the AAC. But I hope UB gets it, if only for the greater eastern focus of AAC.

Or, would a weaker AAC make the MAC more interesting for Temple et al? It's not going to happen, but my fantasy is that Temple and Iowa State join the MAC. But I realize, it's not going to happen.

2 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

More money to go around in the AAC regardless. They are gonna look to bring in the best to fill the voids. We should still make the move.

I don't see why UB doesn't get a serious look by the AAC. They need a new Northeast school to replace UCONN. For heavens sake, I see schools like Georgia Southern and App State being tossed around! 

Edited by promotherobot

• 7 months later...
On 4/25/2022 at 1:59 PM, UB77 said:

“I was talking to a Republican senator and he said to me, ‘I keep reading that you all say we’ll finally be able to get something done when Republicans get control of the house and the senate and the presidency,’ “ Swarbrick said. “But it’s going to be a much more Libertarian Congress. They’re going to be unwilling to participate just on anti-regulatory grounds.

I don't even get the point he's making

• 2 months later...