Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Conference Realignment

42 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

You can’t move into the big world of college athletics without taking risks. Sure, the American could eventually blow up but UB’s profile would dramatically improve in the eyes of many with the step up in competition. 

The increased tv money would help with travel expenses. It would almost become a necessity to upgrade facilities up to the standard of the AAC. 

From a basketball perspective, the AAC is loaded. Games like Memphis, Temple, Wichita State would be tremendous attendance draws.

Even Memphis, SMU, Navy and Tulane from a football perspective would be fun to play and UAB sounds like a lock for expansion with their new stadium.

It’s risky but you can’t move up to the big time unless you make baby steps first. UB isn’t jumping to a P5 conference anytime soon so better to make a small leap, improve the program and see if any of the big boys want Buffalo included down the line.

No dispute here.  Is the state interested in increasing its financial commitment to UB athletics?

• Like 1

Just now, UBlearns said:

No dispute here.  Is the state interested in increasing its financial commitment to UB athletics?

The other week it came out that the 3 finalist locations for the new bills stadium were orchard park, downtown and UB campus

Not sure if it was the bills that came to the state with the idea of getting more state funding easily or if it was the state. But it does show that people are interested in major upgrades at ub athletics 

49 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

That’s the most important question. There’s no doubt UB has the potential to be a great athletic department but the funding part from the state has always been their greatest hurdle. It’s crazy to think that UCF and UB both began their D1 transitions around the same time and both played in the MAC simultaneously in the early 2000’s. Obviously they went on much different paths afterwards.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

image.thumb.png.57a778fa705c57ff00b54c3f2144f689.png

I compiled average Massey rankings of MAC, AAC, and potential AAC additions since the start of 2017.  Even if Memphis and Wichita State leave, the remaining AAC teams + us and 3 other top potential additions creates a conference that is a significant step up.  Have Alnutt on a flight from Lincoln to Dallas tomorrow to get us in.  I have no allegiance to B-tier Ohio public schools

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Moving up to the AAC is a no brainer in my opinion. We are New York State's Public Powerhouse right? The same powerhouse that wants to be stuck in the MAC? If we want to get to the big time in the future, we need to make this jump now and then be considered for the Big 10 later on. There is no way any MAC team will ever jump to a big conference ever without making a minor step up like the AAC. Let's do it and now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

image.thumb.png.57a778fa705c57ff00b54c3f2144f689.png

I compiled average Massey rankings of MAC, AAC, and potential AAC additions since the start of 2017.  Even if Memphis and Wichita State leave, the remaining AAC teams + us and 3 other top potential additions creates a conference that is a significant step up.  Have Alnutt on a flight from Lincoln to Dallas tomorrow to get us in.  I have no allegiance to B-tier Ohio public schools

Definitely would like to take next step forward.    Here is a sample 12 team configuration for AAC (13 for football) from your potentials, with Memphis and Wichita St departing.  This would be a fun league to be a part of. 

image.png.e1199f3695161b63ab92640e307c5615.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Definitely would like to take next step forward.    Here is a sample 12 team configuration for AAC (13 for football) from your potentials, with Memphis and Wichita St departing.  This would be a fun league to be a part of. 

image.png.e1199f3695161b63ab92640e307c5615.png

I would join that league today. Wichita St. is losing its luster since their coach got found out as a jackass, so who knows where they end up. Memphis is a loss, but this is a really nice conference.

27 minutes ago, UB77 said:

I don't agree with a lot of this 'analysis' but here's another voice (no mention of Buffalo)...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/options-for-american-athletic-conference-after-cincinnati-houston-and-ucf-leave-aac-to-join-big-12/

I get uab and Georgia st. One or even both make a ton of sense. The rest I'm not sure I agree with. 2 southern teams are leaving and a northernish team. So I assume they would want to replace each team in similar locations

In my opinion it will come down to if the aac wants a quick turn around(the san diego st and Boise st) or to help build up schools. I look at a school like buffalo and a school like Georgia st and I see huge potential if money and support are there

37 minutes ago, UB77 said:

I don't agree with a lot of this 'analysis' but here's another voice (no mention of Buffalo)...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/options-for-american-athletic-conference-after-cincinnati-houston-and-ucf-leave-aac-to-join-big-12/

Yeah I mean I don’t think we’re a favorite to be invited due to the American being a southern conference at this point minus temple but no team in the MWC is leaving to join the American at this point. Additionally no conference with an AAU school and multiple R1 schools is allowing the sham that is Liberty to join. That guy is throwing shit at a wall as much as any of us

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, UB77 said:

Per this article from the Athletic, location cited as an issue. I think the AAC dream is fizzling for the time being. The university just needs to stay being serious about athletics, especially with football and basketball, and then hopefully over time with continued success, and further infrastructure improvements, that we are seen as an enticing candidate that isn't merely a location issue. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Per this article from the Athletic, location cited as an issue. I think the AAC dream is fizzling for the time being. The university just needs to stay being serious about athletics, especially with football and basketball, and then hopefully over time with continued success, and further infrastructure improvements, that we are seen as an enticing candidate that isn't merely a location issue. 

To this point…if you build it they will come. Build a winning program. Build better, larger facilities. Win and hope for the Big 10.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

That question is out of my league. I leave that to others here who know more about the political and monetary aspects of all this. 

There are plans to do a lot with the current stadium but it’s a longer plan based on the university’s master plan. There is no interest in using a Bills stadium unless it were to replace the physical location of UB Stadium. Ask any college how they’ve liked being a tenant at their own home field with way too many seats. It sucks. It’s the reason Tulane, Georgia State, Houston, etc did their own thing. 

When I went to the UB-Temple game at the Eagles stadium a few years back it was not a great turnout compounded by being so spread out in a big stadium. Also very little student turnout for them

I was at that game too, it sucked. It did go to UB at Pitt one year at Heinz Field and that wasn’t bad. A good turnout there.

When I went to the UB-Temple game at the Eagles stadium a few years back it was not a great turnout compounded by being so spread out in a big stadium. Also very little student turnout for them

It's not like Temple has room for a stadium on campus. Sure, if UB had a 60K+ season ticket base, building a their own stadium would make sense. But until that day comes, sharing an NFL stadium beats the concrete mausoleum we have now.

15 hours ago, promotherobot said:

It's not like Temple has room for a stadium on campus. Sure, if UB had a 60K+ season ticket base, building a their own stadium would make sense. But until that day comes, sharing an NFL stadium beats the concrete mausoleum we have now.

Disagree. If you think attendance is a challenge now, imagine a smaller crowd in a venue twice as big located off campus somewhere so zero student turn out for energy. You’re doing exactly the opposite of what programs being successful are doing now. Forget that. 

Edited by DaBulls99
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Disagree. If you think attendance is a challenge now, image a smaller crowd in a venue twice as big located off campus somewhere so zero student turn out for energy. You’re doing exactly the opposite of what programs being successful are doing now. Forget that. 

If students turn out for every game. Sometimes games are on during school breaks. Those games should be at Highmark. Last time we played we got 26K on a Thanksgiving Friday. You'd get some Bills fans if you played there.

15 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Disagree. If you think attendance is a challenge now, imagine a smaller crowd in a venue twice as big located off campus somewhere so zero student turn out for energy. You’re doing exactly the opposite of what programs being successful are doing now. Forget that. 

Build a better stadium that caters to football only and maybe the attendance will probably increase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Build a better stadium that caters to football only and maybe the attendance will probably increase.

Just look at the wide shot espn just had…stadium is empty and too much open space. Makes me sad. We need a modern football only field. If we are aiming high we need at least 60k seats. On campus of course.