Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Conference Realignment

7 minutes ago, Slim said:

Personally would take WKU and UMass ... interesting to see how FB divisions look with WKU/MTSU.

Whats the appeal of umass? Their basketball is alright but they have one of the worst teams in fbs. They are not in a good recruiting location either. 

2 hours ago, Gxtrex said:

Whats the appeal of umass? Their basketball is alright but they have one of the worst teams in fbs. They are not in a good recruiting location either. 

UMass will NOT bring over their hoops teams. This would be Football only so…pass. WKU would be solid add but Rick Stansbury is notorious for cheating his butt off. 

9 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

UMass will NOT bring over their  teams. This would be Football only so…pass. WKU would be solid add but Rick Stansbury is notorious for cheating his butt off. 

I agree definitely no to football only. But even all sports from them doesn't seem worth it 

Sounding likely we get WKU and MTSU.  From a conference standpoint, this is a good boost I think in basketball talent, however this won't get us out of one-bid territory so we're just adding more competition which isn't ideal.

KenPom has a Program Rank metric that ranks programs based on his data going back to 1997.  This round of realignment would see the MAC receive a slight bump in average Program Rank, although the conference doesn't move up at all in the conference rankings:

image.png.2caacc720dfff8921899ae41751644a7.png

14 minutes ago, UB77 said:

Maybe all of this conference dancing is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Traditional "amateur sports" looks like it is becoming a thing if the past.

https://www.axios.com/overtime-elite-baskeball-elite-prospects-655293b3-d389-4074-9fe3-d3d33836c5c9.html

I don’t believe this will have any impact.  If anything it helps programs like UB by getting the most elite players out of the college game.  

The addition of the G-League hasn’t hurt college basketball. The G-League is better basketball than NCAA basketball yet no one watches it.  

People don’t watch the college game because it is the best.  No one believes it is the best league.  And I don’t think people are going to watch a four team league that has high school kids who couldn’t make the G-League being ran by coaches fired for poor performance. 

I agree that we are adding a bit more competition to basketball schedule from WKU.  MTSU has had some success a few years back but they are not currently expected to be that good.  I wonder if they go to a 19 game conference schedule, where split into divisions, playing six teams in our division twice and in other division once, so only play WKU and MTSU once a year.

Here is top 5 teams based on average of the last five years.

image.png.661734584f64e996d2828beba46066da.png

40 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I agree that we are adding a bit more competition to basketball schedule from WKU.  MTSU has had some success a few years back but they are not currently expected to be that good.  I wonder if they go to a 19 game conference schedule, where split into divisions, playing six teams in our division twice and in other division once, so only play WKU and MTSU once a year.

Here is top 5 teams based on average of the last five years.

image.png.661734584f64e996d2828beba46066da.png

I don't think they will play an odd number of conference games.

My guess is that  each team will play everyone in the conference once.  (13 games)

Then there will be 7 or 5 teams that you plat a second time.  Probably based on geography to cut down on travel.

So probably something like this for us for one year (next year would be inverse of locations):

Play at Home only (4) - Western Kentucky, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan,  Bowling Green

Play Away only (4) - Middle Tennessee State, Eastern Michigan, Ball State, Central Michigan

Play Twice Home and Away (5 teams, 10 games) - Akron, Kent State, Ohio, Toledo, Miami

This would be an 18 game schedule.  I am not sure if the teams would prefer 20 or 18 moving forward.  Just made the change to 20.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I don't think they will play an odd number of conference games.

My guess is that  each team will play everyone in the conference once.  (13 games)

Then there will be 7 or 5 teams that you plat a second time.  Probably based on geography to cut down on travel.

So probably something like this for us for one year (next year would be inverse of locations):

Play at Home only (4) - Western Kentucky, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan,  Bowling Green

Play Away only (4) - Middle Tennessee State, Eastern Michigan, Ball State, Central Michigan

Play Twice Home and Away (5 teams, 10 games) - Akron, Kent State, Ohio, Toledo, Miami

This would be an 18 game schedule.  I am not sure if the teams would prefer 20 or 18 moving forward.  Just made the change to 20.

A 20 game schedule would be 3 away only / 3 home only and 7 home/away.  I guess this means they won't be divisions. Also will be interesting to see if they keep just top 8 for conference championship or re-introduce byes.  Getting ahead of things a bit I know

Edited by DocCas86

2 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Is this combined with potential payday, enough to keep WKU and MTSU in CUSA?  I have seen on their fan sites that some would prefer to stay put, get money and invest in program.

Edited by DocCas86

1 hour ago, UB05 said:

Liberty is a bigger name, but they come with a lot of political baggage. Do the other teams even have DI football?

Sam Houston State won the FCS championship last year.  They are a legit program.  Currently Undefeated and ranked #1 in FCS.  2020 Sam Houston State Bearkats football team - Wikipedia

Jacksonville State just beat Florida State this year.  They are having a down year this year but were in the 2015 FCS National Championship game.  They are a solid fan following--averaged 17,000 fans in 2019 and 2020.

For comparison, we averaged 18,000 in attendance in 2020 and 16,000 in 2019.

New Mexico State gives UTEP a local school which is good for travel for the non-football sports.  Travel out in one trip and play each of them in a conference game all while adding another FBS football school.  NMSU is a good basketball program too.

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

3 of the additions will probably head to the sun belt when there is an opening if given a choice in my opinion

And they will pay the exit fee to CUSA and the CUSA will survive in the interim.  

I don't see that as a risk.

I am not sure if I make the move to the MAC if I am MTSU or WKY.   Saving on travel is the real benefit.  But CUSA may provide more revenue, I am not sure.

12 hours ago, Gxtrex said:

Wow. How quickly things change. Although, I don’t believe the additions make a huge difference for the MAC, I was still excited for some change. I wouldn’t doubt if this comes back around and there’s a report that the MAC will in fact be adding them. Information is flying around too quickly. Seems like these are negotiation tactics.

• Like 1