Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Conference Realignment

20 minutes ago, RocChiTown said:

I highly doubt UB gets smoked by Bona this year. 

Even though Michigan lost last night and UNT is not the team they were last year, I was impressed by Buffalo's first two games and expect them to compete in all of their OOC games.

I say this as a Bonaventure fan. Teams that can score in bunches will be a problem for us as we play such a slow tempo. You fall behind late, and it's hard to catch up. We have not looked pretty in our first two games, and like always, we have no depth. Get OO in foul trouble and Bona legit has no scoring options off the pine aside from Pitt transfer, Karim Coulibaly. 

Who knows what'll happen. Does good defense win out over good offense? We will find out soon!

So far in two games - we have had even less depth - 97% of our points come from top 5 scorers.  Granted our two games were on the road against higher ranked opponents and Williams had a monster game against Michigan skewing things some.  But we too need to get more players involved - hoping for that in upcoming games against Rider and SFA.

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

So far in two games - we have had even less depth - 97% of our points come from top 5 scorers.  Granted our two games were on the road against higher ranked opponents and Williams had a monster game against Michigan skewing things some.  But we too need to get more players involved - hoping for that in upcoming games against Rider and SFA.

I do agree the depth issue could be a concern. How this coaching staff handles the rotation and gets some other players into the mix could be the key to our success once the MAC schedule starts. Go Bulls!!!

• Like 1

Bench production != depth. It may pan out that our depth isn’t good but with 3 clear best players, if rotations are properly managed at least 2 of them will be on the court at all times and most offense will run through them. Our top players being able to handle a larger workload is a good thing.

We’ll get a better idea as we see a larger sample size and there is more foul trouble or health issues that challenge depth. So far Jones appears to be a capable backup true PG and Skogman appears to be a better big option than we had last year. Wild cards are Brewton regaining his form from Coastal and Mading developing since he’s not redshirting 

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

Bench production != depth. It may pan out that our depth isn’t good but with 3 clear best players, if rotations are properly managed at least 2 of them will be on the court at all times and most offense will run through them. Our top players being able to handle a larger workload is a good thing.

We’ll get a better idea as we see a larger sample size and there is more foul trouble or health issues that challenge depth. So far Jones appears to be a capable backup true PG and Skogman appears to be a better big option than we had last year. Wild cards are Brewton regaining his form from Coastal and Mading developing since he’s not redshirting 

Watching a little of Toledo v Oakland, Toledo is down 20 and getting no production from bench.  Seems like a lot of teams are looking for bench production.

As per your comment, I think we don't need a lot from bench to stay as a good team.  We become a great team if we can get production from bench.   It is only two games, so there is time for players to get rythm, hope starts with this Saturday.

43 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Fortunately plenty of time to figure out what’s broken, and fix it…hopefully.

I'm hoping the Rider game will allow a deeper rotation and those guys can get some touches and feel a rhythm together. It's hard to sit on the bench for 2-3 games and then come in and immediately contribute. That's not the way it works. I think we will get bench production, but we need to be in a position to expand the bench in a couple of upcoming games to figure out the lineups that stay productive. I'm looking forward to seeing this team evolve because I think it's there. We just need to put it all together.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I'm hoping the Rider game will allow a deeper rotation and those guys can get some touches and feel a rhythm together. It's hard to sit on the bench for 2-3 games and then come in and immediately contribute. That's not the way it works. I think we will get bench production, but we need to be in a position to expand the bench in a couple of upcoming games to figure out the lineups that stay productive. I'm looking forward to seeing this team evolve because I think it's there. We just need to put it all together.

To this point we are going to play back to back games in Cancun. The big 3 can’t play 36-38 minutes each game. And every game having led into those games. Long season we don’t wanna peak now but we wanna establish the roots for a deep March run. These next two games we definitely should look to get others minutes. With the goal remaining to win at all cost.

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tee4three said:

I'm also delusional but until I see ub vs the bonnies out come I think an at large bid is still possible 

All due respect you’re delusional lol. We would need to win out in the non conference schedule then lose no more than 3 conference games. If that. Then make it to the conference final. Difficult ask. Beating Michigan and Bona were the only way for an at large. 

15 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

All due respect you’re delusional lol. We would need to win out in the non conference schedule then lose no more than 3 conference games. If that. Then make it to the conference final. Difficult ask. Beating Michigan and Bona were the only way for an at large. 

The key is winning out in non conference, which besides the bonnies game ub will be favored to win or be a pickem type game in everyone of them

I was looking at what the current schedule and where quad 1/2/3/4 breakdown is and right now its 2 games q1, 6 maybe 7 q2 depending who ub plays in the second game of the tournament after sfa then another 7 q3 and 13 q4

A q1: 1-1 q2: 6-1 q3: 6-1 and q4: 12-1 not sure it gets it done but at least gets ub on bubble graphics and have bubble discussion (above would be the 9-1 out of conf and 17-3 mac)

I know I'm delusional but this is part of the fun in following college basketball

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

The key is winning out in non conference, which besides the bonnies game ub will be favored to win or be a pickem type game in everyone of them

I was looking at what the current schedule and where quad 1/2/3/4 breakdown is and right now its 2 games q1, 6 maybe 7 q2 depending who ub plays in the second game of the tournament after sfa then another 7 q3 and 13 q4

A q1: 1-1 q2: 6-1 q3: 6-1 and q4: 12-1 not sure it gets it done but at least gets ub on bubble graphics and have bubble discussion (above would be the 9-1 out of conf and 17-3 mac)

I know I'm delusional but this is part of the fun in following college basketball

I share your delusion, I think we can win every game, including the Bonnies! Let's bring it.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I definitely share your enthusiasm. And agree with us being favored. I just wonder if this squad can handle the pressure of playing knowing one loss ruins everything. Like the CJ/Perk/Oats squad did. And also I wonder if our non conference opponents will win enough themselves. For the more our non conference opponents win the better it looks when we beat them. To this point, our non conference opponents have been bla.  All this being said we control our own destiny. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I definitely share your enthusiasm. And agree with us being favored. I just wonder if this squad can handle the pressure of playing knowing one loss ruins everything. Like the CJ/Perk/Oats squad did. And also I wonder if our non conference opponents will win enough themselves. For the more our non conference opponents win the better it looks when we beat them. To this point, our non conference opponents have been bla.  All this being said we control our own destiny. 

To your point, it pained me rooting for Bona against Boise State yesterday. But we want to come home from the sticks with a ranked scalp on December 4. I just bought one of the last single seats available. Pray for me sitting alone in a bowl of brown.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

To your point, it pained me rooting for Bona against Boise State yesterday. But we want to come home from the sticks with a ranked scalp on December 4. I just bought one of the last single seats available. Pray for me sitting alone in a bowl of brown.

Just a horrible color for any team...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

North texas is nearly a top 100 team now on barttovik....slowly improving 

On 11/19/2021 at 11:45 AM, MuchMany said:

We should always root for wny teams. It’s just good for the area and builds excitement in our sport.

• Like 1