Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nebraska Game Week!

UBinMD

A great start to the season and good seeing some 2nd and 3rd string guys and getting the true freshmen on the field to get those jitters out. Not perfect, but I was very impressed with the level of effort of everyone that stepped on the field and you could see they were all playing for their fellow man. I target Matt Myers as one of those feel good stories, did some nice things and on the first drive lays in a 27 yard pass hitting a young receiver is stride. Ahmed as well, playing in the shadows the last few years and showing his stuff plus Mike Washington as a true freshman was impressive and looks like he could become special.

On to this week. After the game our ESPN odds to win against Nebraska went from 28% to 39%. Just thinking 5 years back, having UB being a 60/40 underdog against a team like Nebraska, in their house, is a huge step forward for this program. I realize Nebraska is not the Tom Osborne Nebraska, but this is a Big 10 school with massive history.

I am very excited for this game and hope for a positive outcome. Go Bulls!!

• Like 2

Nebraska’s QB gets easily rattled under pressure. I’m confident Coach Mo and staff will have the team prepared on defense. Offensively we got to keep running the ball, O line looked decent against a weak opponent. Nebraska’s defensive line and linebacking core will be tough to penetrate so we may need to have Vantrese throw more than usual. He looked good against Wagner but sometimes made some questionable throws to covered receivers. I agree that this is a winnable game but everyone who touches the field will have to be on their A-game. 

special teams will have to really stand out as well. I don’t expect us to score a TD every drive so Mcnulty may or will have to give us some field goals from 30+ yards. I’m confident he can do it but due to us being a high powered offense he hasn’t had to do that much in past seasons. He may be heavily relied upon this year, not just for Nebraska 

I know the total yards last night will not support this, but the O-line will need to do a much better job of run blocking vs Nebraska.   In the first half vs. Wagner, with all the starters in there and Marks...they could not get uncorked as easily as I thought they would.  Of course, without Patterson and some really good linemen that are no longer at UB, it's a work in progress.  But they'll need to get a better push at Nebraska.

No Buffalo-specifc thread yet, but not a lot of confidence in Husker Nation right now. Most think the loss of Lance left us in shambles and Nebraska will pull one out. A few think we will take them.

https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/threads/final-utsa-37-illinois-30.302391/

Some other Husker forums:

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Board/Nebraska-Cornhuskers-Message-Board-Forum-142/

https://forum.huskermax.com/forums/football.4/

https://www.cornnation.com/

Edited by promotherobot

I mean, name and drop pockets man a lot in college football and unfortunately Nebraska has both. I definitely am hoping for a W against them, but will not be surprised if they win. Not to mention, we don't typically do well against The P5 conferences, even if we go up against a bad team or a rebuilding year.

Edited by ubmae86

Well the tables have certainly turned.  Yes, this game makes many Nebraska fans nervous.  Nebraska has the talent to win, but they have not shown the ability to get out of their own way.  I wonder again why the Bulls would lose a coach to KU where successful mid-major coaches go to ruin their careers.  Now is seems he left for no upgrade in conference standing. 

I saw that Nebraska was favored and cannot come up with a good reason why.  Playing a team with a new coaching staff certainly didn't help them.

BTW, Hello PTR.  Long time no post.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drfish said:

Well the tables have certainly turned.  Yes, this game makes many Nebraska fans nervous.  Nebraska has the talent to win, but they have not shown the ability to get out of their own way.  I wonder again why the Bulls would lose a coach to KU where successful mid-major coaches go to ruin their careers.  Now is seems he left for no upgrade in conference standing. 

I saw that Nebraska was favored and cannot come up with a good reason why.  Playing a team with a new coaching staff certainly didn't help them.

$

• Like 1

8 hours ago, drfish said:

The line has moved from 11 to 13.5. A lot of money shifting to Big Red apparently. Does it mean anything?

Nebraska wasn't that impressive against Fordham. Most of their points came off Rams miscues. Not to mention the team that beat Nebraska in week 0, Illinois, lost to powerhouse UTSA last week.

Nebraska just feels like a very weak P5 team. They might have some bigger and better players individually but their coach Scott Frost is already on the hot seat. 

2 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

$

What makes the world go round. I can't really blame LL for grabbing a job that would set up any person of modest tastes for life. I do hold a grudge for doing it at the worst possible time for a program and taking some of our better players with him. So sorry, no tears shed for Lance's situation. 

Did you know KU plays Coastal Carolina in Conway, SC this week? Small world.

3 hours ago, promotherobot said:

The line has moved from 11 to 13.5. A lot of money shifting to Big Red apparently. Does it mean anything?

Nebraska wasn't that impressive against Fordham. Most of their points came off Rams miscues. Not to mention the team that beat Nebraska in week 0, Illinois, lost to powerhouse UTSA last week.

Nebraska just feels like a very weak P5 team. They might have some bigger and better players individually but their coach Scott Frost is already on the hot seat. 

What makes the world go round. I can't really blame LL for grabbing a job that would set up any person of modest tastes for life. I do hold a grudge for doing it at the worst possible time for a program and taking some of our better players with him. So sorry, no tears shed for Lance's situation. 

Did you know KU plays Coastal Carolina in Conway, SC this week? Small world.

I’m cautiously optimistic about this week. Nebraska is arrogant enough to take us for granted, so that may have play in our favor. Their rub defense hasn’t been great, so if our OL can open some holes it could be a good day for our RBs. I was also pleasantly surprised by our passing game. Williams will be dangerous this year, plus Ruiz has taken a step forward. KVT is so freaking accurate when not under duress, it could be a hood balance. The D was solid, Riggins is back in form and I liked Folsom’s game (although he is big dude to be wearing #20 😃). The LBs were as good as advertised and our DBs were solid. We even doubled our total FGs from last year and all attempts were stress free. I’ll be watching and expect a good performance and I think we can win this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Funny that you mention Folsom wearing #20.  Every time he made a play, I thought, "James Patterson is having a night".   I didn't realize he had changed numbers from last year.  

Anyone know who our new in house announcer is?

No, but in the introductions he said Patterson was wearing 20, rather than 8.

8 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I’m cautiously optimistic about this week. Nebraska is arrogant enough to take us for granted, so that may have play in our favor. 

Don't count on that.  What is more likely to turn the tide in favor of the Bulls is the lack of discipline on the part of the Huskers.  Nebraska has the talent to match any team on their schedule from any state not starting with the letter "O."  But, they have a devil of a time getting out of their own way. They have not really shown the ability to play error free ball.  If they play error free, disciplined football, the Bulls may be in for a long fight.  Fortunately for Buffalo, they have not been able to do that more than once per season recently.   Nebraska may win.  It would hardly be a shock, however, if they did not.

2 minutes ago, drfish said:

Don't count on that.  What is more likely to turn the tide in favor of the Bulls is the lack of discipline on the part of the Huskers.  Nebraska has the talent to match any team on their schedule from any state not starting with the letter "O."  But, they have a devil of a time getting out of their own way. They have not really shown the ability to play error free ball.  If they play error free, disciplined football, the Bulls may be in for a long fight.  Fortunately for Buffalo, they have not been able to do that more than once per season recently.   Nebraska may win.  It would hardly be a shock, however, if they did not.

Is Frost on the hot seat yet or does he have enough credibility from his playing days to sail thru again? I don't even see them as a .500 team unless they really figure things out.

He is on the, "OK, prove it, seat."  A substantial number of fans have lost faith in his ability to deliver.  I don't know that a losing season dooms him, but it could.  Most fans will be ok with another year if they go 6-6 and go to a bowl.  It has gotten that bad.  Five losing seasons in 6 years.  I was not alive when that happened last and I remember as far back as the late 60's.  Some people have begun to wonder if a coach from the imploding Big IIX would consider leaving his new job for a B1G job.  I won't mention any names.  And no I don't mean Campbell.

I really think they are close.  The problem is that the same errors keep happening again and again.  

10 hours ago, drfish said:

He is on the, "OK, prove it, seat."  A substantial number of fans have lost faith in his ability to deliver.  I don't know that a losing season dooms him, but it could.  Most fans will be ok with another year if they go 6-6 and go to a bowl.  It has gotten that bad.  Five losing seasons in 6 years.  I was not alive when that happened last and I remember as far back as the late 60's.  Some people have begun to wonder if a coach from the imploding Big IIX would consider leaving his new job for a B1G job.  I won't mention any names.  And no I don't mean Campbell.

I really think they are close.  The problem is that the same errors keep happening again and again.  

Which is truly the coaching aspect of it. Continual mistakes, turnovers, dumb penalties, etc. all point to a lack of discipline, which means the coaching staff is not instilling that as a value in practice, etc.