Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nebraska Game Week!

UBinMD

11 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

Why the hell would the Nebraska coach kick a field goal up 25 with 10 seconds left? That coach is an idiot. Classless.

Because the kid was 0-2 today and needed some confidence heading into a game against Oklahoma.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Edited by Blackshirt
Help

4 minutes ago, UBminicre said:

Live reps... LOL.

we better re focus for next week or this is going to get brutal.

Let’s hope we didn’t lose what 6 players today? 

We will do very well in the MAC I have no doubt. We need to watch the tape, learn from this and have a better game plan next week. Our running game and OL needs to pick things up that's for sure. No way we can be throwing 42 times and expect to win.

8 minutes ago, Blackshirt said:

Because the kid was 0-2 today and needed some confidence heading into a game against Oklahoma.

Good luck the rest of the way.

That is a stupid reason. It's like saying "hey our WR or RB hasn't scored a touchdown yet this game today so let's run a play where he has a chance to score a TD for his confidence for the next game" even though we know the game has been decided, we are up 25 with 10 seconds left. 

2 minutes ago, Skers Fan said:

They were trying to send the kicker, who had struggled all day, out with a good kick. Don't overthink it. It's not like they are running the 2 minute offense. 

That is what you have practice for...nice try defending an idiot move on your coach's part. Classless. Good luck getting destroyed next week thinking a live practice kick is going to make a difference.

1 minute ago, MKBullsfan said:

That is what you have practice for...nice try defending an idiot move on your coach's part. Classless. Good luck getting destroyed next week thinking a live practice kick is going to make a difference.

Like I said, you're overthinking it. And completely over reacting. You're upset about the outcome of the game so I understand. Good luck the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKBullsfan said:

Sounds petty to me. Maybe direct your anger at a UB team that didn’t show up at all instead of at a coach who was doing whatever he can to prepare his team. I see nothing wrong in kicking a pointless field goal in that situation 

Nebraska is a mediocre FBS team at best and I expected a lot more from UB.   This game was a real letdown.  This should have been competitive till the end.

The Bulls D played pretty stout for a while...that was good.  But you knew some of the Huskers better athletes would make our line and DB's look slow at certain points of the game and they did.  

The Bulls offense stunk. I thought the O-line wasn't very good vs Wagner at run blocking (despite the lopsided stats)...and they proved it today.  Not nearly as efficient as last year's line plus they don't have Patterson to make them look even better. 

There's no explosiveness in our offense whatsoever. I get the ground n pound strategy in the first half...run the clock, convert a few 3rd downs, keep the score low and close.  It worked for a while even though it was like watching paint dry.

I like Vantrease, but to me he looks like he's topped out at the same level of play as his very first snap as a Bull.  Is he going to get any better? or are we at his ceiling?   I can see Mo recruiting a QB/athlete at some point in the future.  It's a weapon we don't have.  Myers can escape trouble a bit... he's not as accurate as Vantrease (at least from what we've seen in the past).   

I dunno,  I'll be watching the rest of the games but this one today was brutal.  I have much higher expectations.

I think you are over-reacting to the loss.  Nebraska has a lot of talent that has not played up to their potential.  Last year the defense started putting it together in the last half of the season.  They played about 2/3 of a game against Illinois and about the same against Fordham.  They have not allowed 400 yards against them in 7 games.  That hasn't happened around here in some time.  I think this is going to be a fairly good defense.  The offense needs much better line play and special teams are still anything but.  However, I have not given up on the Huskers yet.  They have the potential to be decent if they will to be.

I was pretty impressed with UB.  They were very physical,  I think the heat got to them a bit.  I expect them to go bowling again.

I did not care for the attempt to score either the touchdown or the field goal at the end of the game.  I though it was unnecessary.  I am glad the were not able to score.  i won't defend it other than to say UB's coach was trying to get his guys to play hard to the end (otherwise why call a time out late when you are down by 25 points.  May Frost is trying to get the same thing from his guys as they have not shown killer instinct much.  Never-the-less. Why try to tack on more.  The long pass was supposed to go to the flat, but the defense allowed the deep threat and I don't blame the 2nd string QB for trying to take advantage.  And in the words of Bobby Bowden, "It's your job to keep the score down, not mine. If you don't like the score, either recruit harder or coach better."

Good luck the rest of the way.  I will always root for the Bulls.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, drfish said:

I think you are over-reacting to the loss.  Nebraska has a lot of talent that has not played up to their potential.  Last year the defense started putting it together in the last half of the season.  They played about 2/3 of a game against Illinois and about the same against Fordham.  They have not allowed 400 yards against them in 7 games.  That hasn't happened around here in some time.  I think this is going to be a fairly good defense.  The offense needs much better line play and special teams are still anything but.  However, I have not given up on the Huskers yet.  They have the potential to be decent if they will to be.

I was pretty impressed with UB.  They were very physical,  I think the heat got to them a bit.  I expect them to go bowling again.

I did not care for the attempt to score either the touchdown or the field goal at the end of the game.  I though it was unnecessary.  I am glad the were not able to score.  i won't defend it other than to say UB's coach was trying to get his guys to play hard to the end (otherwise why call a time out late when you are down by 25 points.  May Frost is trying to get the same thing from his guys as they have not shown killer instinct much.  Never-the-less. Why try to tack on more.  The long pass was supposed to go to the flat, but the defense allowed the deep threat and I don't blame the 2nd string QB for trying to take advantage.  And in the words of Bobby Bowden, "It's your job to keep the score down, not mine. If you don't like the score, either recruit harder or coach better."

Good luck the rest of the way.  I will always root for the Bulls.

It’s a fair assessment, but we are right to overreact a little. While Nebraska was better then we gave credit for... we are likely a bit worse then we thought. Winning is one thing, but we didn’t even come close. In fact we were beat at every facet of the game quite handily. Would have been nice to actually compete with a higher quality program. We had more success against better P5 teams over last decade with a much less refined program, IMO. So yeah it’s disappointing to get hammered after we have slowly become a consistent program. So yes I am disappointed that we still can’t hang with the big boys. 

Disappointed in the loss. 

I was very encouraged by the defense. Most of the big plays came on broken plays. Our defense held our own. 

Offense was a disappointment. You can’t win a defensive battle against the big boys. You need firepower and you need to score. We didn’t have either. 

It’ll be tough against Coastal but let’s see. I would not be surprised if we have a better showing. 

My personal thoughts on the game: 

On defense the team didn’t look all that bad, they made some big stops throughout but small mistakes cost us. There’s a ton of talent on defense and a lot of new faces, confident the kinks will be worked out as the season rolls on 

offensively we struggled, play calling was questionable. Especially on third and fourth down. Our O line was tested throughout and did decently but wore down with injuries and constant pressure. The heat probably didn’t help as well. The RBs did the best they could and there lack of productivity could be linked to the plays that were run. Vantrese showed some flashes here and there but definitely was not his best game, can’t blame him when he is consistently pressured in the pocket. 

overall I was disappointed but we did play Nebraska at their house, a tough place for any team to play. I’m not going to hate or harp on Coach Mo and staff just yet. We did just play a power 5 team. I’ll be concerned if this was another group of five team. Coastal is up next, a mid major that I believe would be a middle of the pack ACC team if they were in that conference. They will be better than Nebraska but we are at home this time. I believe that the home atmosphere and energy will propel this team to fight harder and have a better showing. Kansas gave coastal some trouble at times so I’m confident we can as well

Edited by Dabulls

On 9/12/2021 at 6:36 AM, Dabulls said:

… was tested throughout and did decently but wore down with injuries …

Did any of the injuries end up being serious?   The only change in depth chart from week 2 to 3 is that Ruiz has been left off.  I didn’t get to watch the game, but the box score has Jovany making a catch in the last 5 minutes.  Did he take a late hit after that?

13 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Did any of the injuries end up being serious?   The only change in depth chart from week 2 to 3 is that Ruiz has been left off.  I didn’t get to watch the game, but the box score has Jovany making a catch in the last 5 minutes.  Did he take a late hit after that?

I just remember some of our linemen being taken out of the game, seems not to be too serious. As for Ruiz I don’t remember how exactly he got hurt, if my memory does not fail me it was later in the game 

While it would certainly be better to have a win,  As you can see the Bulls held their own against a top 25 team.  The Husker defense that held you to 7, held Oklahoma to less than 24 points for the first time in 5 years and if the offensive line would have made fewer errors and the place kicker wasn't in his head, Nebraska might have won.  I predict another solid season for the Bulls and another bowl game.

• Like 1