Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Attendance

clodney

6 hours ago, promotherobot said:

You must have missed the $10 flash sale for all games a couple weeks ago.

The same mandate exists for Bills games. I doubt it's affected ticket sales for them. Will that mandate be enforced there is another story. We are in the final days of a functioning civil society anyway so who cares. I've given up arguing with people.

The mandate is a SUNY mandate. All large gatherings over 100 outdoors require them. Some will stay away but there’s nothing the university can do. 

We have been using the Buffalo bills excuse for a decade... I don’t buy it.

UB just isn’t taken seriously for college sports by the community- unfortunately. The students are hardly interested and the ones that stick around in Buffalo don’t continue the family tradition like other prominent state schools. 

Glad it seems like there was a decent showing this go, but we need this sustained every game for decades for this to take root in broad community. The school will also need to invest in brand and building the culture. Hope we can keep winning to keep people interested.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 9:00 AM, UBlearns said:

I did....I said as much a little later in the post.  I'll keep an eye out, maybe they'll have some more offers.

Are you still looking for tickets? I have a pair that I bought during the flash sale, but I also have a ticket to a fundraiser/benefit that afternoon. 

11 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

It looked bad at kickoff but filled out to respectable levels later. I plan to be at the WMU game in two weeks.

That should be a good one. We are currently favored, so we will see how it goes. I'm headed to ODU this weekend, I hope to see our second victory!

5 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

I seem to remember ~13k too, but the Wagner box score lists 17.5k.   
As another reference point, both Robert Morris and Temple had about 18k to start the season two years ago. 

Didn't look great on TV, but luckily the camera crew didn't zoom out much.

3 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

I seem to remember ~13k too, but the Wagner box score lists 17.5k.   
As another reference point, both Robert Morris and Temple had about 18k to start the season two years ago. 

That’s strange. I can tell you for a fact that they did not have that number originally listed when they first posted the box score. They had a bit more than 13,000 for the Wagner game originally.

I’m not sure why they would change it though. Maybe they originally had people actually in attendance and then updated it to the total tickets sold. Either way, we all know there wasn’t 17k for the opener. There were more people at the Coastal Carolina game with a lower attendance listed.

https://theathletic.com/2847449/2021/09/24/pegulas-invite-university-at-buffalo-to-play-in-bills-new-stadium-but-bulls-prefer-to-stay-on-campus/?source=user_shared_article

1E140618-E647-4AE5-8D75-014E75CC6E68.jpeg
I guess this answers my earlier question. According to Tim Graham of the Athletic, UB had 13,000 in paid attendance for their home opener against Wagner.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

7 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

https://theathletic.com/2847449/2021/09/24/pegulas-invite-university-at-buffalo-to-play-in-bills-new-stadium-but-bulls-prefer-to-stay-on-campus/?source=user_shared_article

1E140618-E647-4AE5-8D75-014E75CC6E68.jpeg
I guess this answers my earlier question. According to Tim Graham of the Athletic, UB had 13,000 in paid attendance for their home opener against Wagner.

Certainly doesn’t look good when a team can’t sell out a small stadium with a top 25 team coming to town and your home team has a legitimate chance to win. People in Buffalo just don’t care. There are the diehards just like when I was in school, back then 90% of the students left at halftime. Buffalo is a Bills town, sabers on the side and there about it. They have never embraced college football. I give the ADs credit. They have tried a lot of things, cheap tickets, concerts, free parking, tents for tailgating.

I moved away so I’m part of the problem and can’t attend every week, but you would think we could find 30-40 thousand people around the area that would care.

I’ve been very happy with the TV coverage so I can watch them and I’m headed to Norfolk tomorrow to support them and was at Liberty a couple years back.

Hopefully it will change at some point, but I’m not sure how or when.

• Like 1

I think the issue is culture and connectivity to university for alumni. After that the community will jump on board. Think about all the other big state universities - they have alumni who stick around and love the school. UB needs to create that culture. You need alumni to really care about their university and want to donate etc… In my exp most my peers hardly care about UB after they are done (I graduated in 2008). Maybe cause a lot of student body come from overseas or nyc and it’s too far from Buffalo for them to care thereafter. Maybe cause it’s 1 of a million SUNYs and perhaps in other states the spread in quality universities is much larger gap thus the bias towards the few big name schools. Not sure the exact reasons, just guesses. Winning helps… but it needs to be done for a long time while building strong traditions.  

Edited by UBminicre
  • Like 1