Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#17 Coastal @ UB - National ESPN2 game 12n Sep 18

promotherobot

That was a great game. People saying “we just need to do this” or “why can’t we do that” would do well to remember that we were playing the 16th ranked team in the country, and that we played them closer than anyone over the past couple seasons including Appalachian state and a Zach Wilson led BYU. I feel way better than I did last week at this time, and provided we take care of business next week I’m gonna feel great entering conference play 

I watched the game.

For the most part, it kind of went as expected.  We benefitted from a fumble that was advanced a long way and from an INT deep in our zone.  

Coastal looked the better team, though.  We made it close and tried to spend more time doing the things we do well (i.e. running the ball).  They had more explosion and more speed -- our explosion in recent years was a JP run from anywhere on the field.  We don't have that anymore.

The one nit I will pick is the 3rd and 4 play call where they had Myers in the game to do that Tebow-esque fake and then pass.  The safety was not fooled and stayed home.  The guy running the route wasn't open.  It was a big play since I felt that we were in two-down territory there.  I was intrigued by the play call since everyone probably thought Myers was in the game to run (he had just run that TD earlier), but he passed it.  

At any rate, now it is 4th and 4....time to put Vantrease in and run or throw.  I did NOT like the call to have Mcnutty try the 50+ yard field goal there.  Not enough reward for the risk in a game where you are two TD underdogs playing a high powered offense.  Just a wrong decision, in my opinion, once your trick play doesn't work.

I am giving the coach, overall, a pass on a lot of this since he lost some key players and started so late.  Looking at these three games from that lens, I am not disappointed. I fully expect them to go to ODU and run, run, run and win a competitive game...entering MAC play 2 - 2.

Go Bulls!