Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#17 Coastal @ UB - National ESPN2 game 12n Sep 18

promotherobot

Overall, a great effort by UB.. the final score was closer than I thought it would be.  

I agree with others in that McDuffie has been the best running back so far.  He deserves more carries.

I'll stand by what i said last week, in that Vantrease is OK.  He's pretty accurate when he has a good pocket.  BUT, he looks like the same QB (in my opinion) as he did back in 2019.  No better, no worse...just the same.  I'm sure he's the best passer on the roster today, but Mo and staff will certainly be looking to upgrade that position during his coaching tenure.

By the way, the worst call of the day by far was the Vantrease punt.  I think it was a one score game...4th and 11 in our own end,, obvious punting situation.  Pin 'em back and make them go 65+ yards.   So coach calls that QB punt play, but this time Coastal Carolina smartly puts a return guy back there (they watched Nebraska film)...and we are covering the punt with regular O-linemen and position players (and our QB).  Coach should have immediately called timeout and brought the punt team out.  Of course the guy from Coastal fields the punt, shakes one tackle and then easily gets downfield around a bunch of guys who don't normally cover punts. That was brutal.  Gave them a short field and an easy TD run to go up by 11.  Coach Mo or the Special teams coach has to look himself in the mirror on that one and wonder why they called that.

2 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

Overall, a great effort by UB.. the final score was closer than I thought it would be.  

I agree with others in that McDuffie has been the best running back so far.  He deserves more carries.

I'll stand by what i said last week, in that Vantrease is OK.  He's pretty accurate when he has a good pocket.  BUT, he looks like the same QB (in my opinion) as he did back in 2019.  No better, no worse...just the same.  I'm sure he's the best passer on the roster today, but Mo and staff will certainly be looking to upgrade that position during his coaching tenure.

By the way, the worst call of the day by far was the Vantrease punt.  I think it was a one score game...4th and 11 in our own end,, obvious punting situation.  Pin 'em back and make them go 65+ yards.   So coach calls that QB punt play, but this time Coastal Carolina smartly puts a return guy back there (they watched Nebraska film)...and we are covering the punt with regular O-linemen and position players (and our QB).  Coach should have immediately called timeout and brought the punt team out.  Of course the guy from Coastal fields the punt, shakes one tackle and then easily gets downfield around a bunch of guys who don't normally cover punts. That was brutal.  Gave them a short field and an easy TD run to go up by 11.  Coach Mo or the Special teams coach has to look himself in the mirror on that one and wonder why they called that.

Ah yes - that was very bad too. Can’t use that qb punt every week.

Overall, I was pretty happy with what I saw today.  They were competitive down to the wire with a (deservingly) ranked team.  There were some hiccups - a few lapses on defense, and some stagnant offense at times - but that'll happen in these kinds of games.  I was not happy after last week's game, but feeling a bit better after this one (plus Nebraska's performance against Oklahoma today).

I thought Coastal was the better team, but there wasn't a massive gap in talent.  

Coach Mo has some work to do on the in-game management.  A couple confusing decisions - long field goal attempt, Vantrease punt, not kicking onside at the end, things like that.  But it's his third game as a head coach.  I thought overall, the team looked much more composed today than they did last week.

On the whole, Ohio is looking a little shaky....Akron and BG are what they are....Bulls should right in the mix with Kent and Miami in the MAC East this year.  A win next week would go a long way toward bowl eligibility.  Would love to see them go out and win on the road.

Edited by UBlearns

2 hours ago, Chet said:

Time for a change at QB. Vantrese is a conservative option with a great running game, but he has been unspectacular. Not bad at all, just not very good. Bring on Matt Myers.

Yep, been saying it, Myers can make the same throws as Vantrese. But Myers’ athleticism opens up way more options. If our offense is going to consist of running the ball 50 times a game, then make the change.