Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

ODU Week

promotherobot

Just now, mikescherrer8 said:

We will always remember the worst second half of football in program history for sure.

Haha yes it was bad, but I try to stay positive especially because we WON. Remember this coaching staff was hired in May, thanks to Lance packing up and leaving 5 months after the coaching  changes are usually made. Then we dealt with losing players to the portal and bringing new ones in. It’s going to take a little time. There are things I’d like to see (a more aggressive game plan on offense for instance), but I’m realistic about this team needing time to find it’s rhythm 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, UB05 said:

For everyone whining….. at the end of the year this team will have changed/grown a lot, and this win could be the difference between getting a bowl game. Lots to clean up going into conference play but take the W and run. 

Agreed the win will be important for a potential bowl game, but we should not be celebrating. Our coaches should be treating his like a loss in the locker room. The amount of celebrating on our sideline is a joke. 

So, I only picked it up at the half, but that 2nd half was absolutely atrocious. Do we not trust the throw? Can we do a run anywhere other than right up the middle?

The defense doesn't seem to be able to take anyone that isn't a running back on the initial contact.

We got crazy lucky that they lost discipline, have us that 15 yards and muffed the extra point.

Don't think we win in OT based on the second half.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UB05 said:

Haha yes it was bad, but I try to stay positive especially because we WON. Remember this coaching staff was hired in May, thanks to Lance packing up and leaving 5 months after the coaching  changes are usually made. Then we dealt with losing players to the portal and bringing new ones in. It’s going to take a little time. There are things I’d like to see (a more aggressive game plan on offense for instance), but I’m realistic about this team needing time to find it’s rhythm 

That’s fair, but there is trends that we should be alarmed about… things like, lack of discipline, terrible play calling at times, pee wee football special teams to name a few. 

• Like 1

Just now, UBminicre said:

That’s fair, but there is trends that we should be alarmed about… things like, lack of discipline, terrible play calling at times, pee wee football special teams to name a few. 

Also, let’s not forget that odu is terrible. We play like this vs some Mac teams, we lose by 30. 

7 minutes ago, UBminicre said:

Let our guard down? No way, we got spanked all over the field. We have a lot of work to do to be consistently competitive. Clearly we have the fire power any given game, but our consistency is about as bad as i can remember. 

Maybe not the best wording, we were great in the second quarter and seemed to mail it in after halftime. When marks fumbled the team just lost all confidence. They can’t handle adversity. ODU never gave up even through all their dropped passes and penalties. They reared back and hit us with a Tyson punch. We couldn’t recover from it, thankfully they missed the extra point. We have a lot to learn

1 minute ago, UBminicre said:

All these things are fairly easily fixed. Blocked punts and unnecessary roughness calls suck, but they can be taken care of by next week. 

23 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I know this game was bad, but most of the Mac is worse than Ub. The mac is bad and the few teams the mac has been able to upset this season out of conference is more on the other teams sleeping/ not taking the Mac serious 

Yeah, but ODU is a bottom-10 team and you saw what happened. Not assuming anything from here on.

-Probably don't want to start a brawl right before halftime on the road to give the other locker room something to rah rah about.

-Special teams are as bad as ever.

-I put this way more on the offense than the defense. So vanilla, no passing to anyone besides Williams, no confidence in the pass, too many 3 and outs in the 2nd half that let ODU get all the momentum.

-Still expecting plenty of development from the staff, but at this point they're much more flash/branding/recruiting than in-game coaching. Jury is out on player development.

7 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

Riggins and Ruiz are two key players that did not play. Hope both are back for conference play. 

A big worry because we have little margin for error. We lucked out with the extra-year vets coming back but we can't be missing our #2 receiver and best DE, a dinged-up Marks, E.J. Brown made no impact, and a revolving door at right guard with Schaerer, Doiron, and Tyler Doty all getting a start there, and more ST struggles. 

2 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Here is how the ranking sites view UB and the rest of the MAC through the first four games of the season.  UBs ranking has been trending in the wrong direction - and they would put us as the fifth best in the MAC.

image.png.da0bdf7007fe3b44989da92d2849b045.png

That’s probably fair. The nice thing is the team controls their own destiny entering conference play. Start winning and we’ll swing right back in the other direction 

On 9/25/2021 at 9:53 PM, Tee4three said:

I know this game was bad, but most of the Mac is worse than Ub. The mac is bad and the few teams the mac has been able to upset this season out of conference is more on the other teams sleeping/ not taking the Mac serious 

Are there 4 more wins in conference play for the Bulls? 5 just to sure we get a bowl bid?